Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 31, 2014   #16
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscgolf View Post
i grow between 50 and 100 types of hot peppers each year and the datil may be my very favorite of all of them- heat of a hab but soooo fruity good.
That makes me happy to hear that with so many varieties being grown that the Datil is a favorite. In addition to being fruity it also has a slightly smokey taste. I wish more people would grow it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2014   #17
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Hi All... I'm looking for suggestions on what types of peppers I might try growing. I usually grow Tabasco and generic brand habaneros. I like to cook with them and eat them raw.

The Tabasco I like for it's juiciness, and the habanero for it's heat and flavor. So I'm looking for similar qualities to try, without blowing my head off.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

-Jimmy
For the last few years, I have grown tabasco, habanero and cayenne. I dehydrate them, grind them into powder and mix them in equal thirds to make my pepper powder. Unique taste and everyone loves the stuff and between family and friends I can't keep up with demand.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found this:
Very pungent chiles
: Habanero, Jalapeno, Red Cayenne, Scotch Bonnet, Serrano, Serrano del Sol*, Super Cayenne*, Thai Dragon

AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #19
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that link,and everyone's suggestions; good info.

Lemon drop, Datil, and a Scotch Bonnet is where i'm leaning towards.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Thanks for that link,and everyone's suggestions; good info.

Lemon drop, Datil, and a Scotch Bonnet is where i'm leaning towards.

-Jimmy

That sounds like a good mix! I was thinking of instead of Lemon Drop, which is a fine pepper, I grew it this year and like it alot. Though I want to try Aji Amarillo. Both are from Peru, but many, many dishes use Aji Amarillo. I recently helped someone locate seeds as they moved here from TX and used to grow it. So i picked some up too.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2014   #21
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Years ago I purchased a Thai chile plant that grew small (upright growing) pods. Very tasty. I'm thinking it might have been a Thai Bird pepper plant. But, have seen pictures of pods growing upright on some, and downwards on others. Any ideas?

Also thinking about growing a bird type pepper. Without the metallic taste that i've read about on some. What type would be the hottest, Piquin, Tepin, etc.?

-Jimmy
Old December 20, 2014   #22
geoffrey44
Tomatovillian™

Greetings all
I grow a lot of chilli also..only second to tomatoes
Cayenne I always grow to dry and grind for powder...leaves the commercial store versions dead in the water.Jalapeno is nor really all that hot but has a lovely flavour,,,I include it in some of my tomato sauce blends to add that little bit of warmth and complexity....anyone wants the recipe happy to give it..
If you really want an interesting chilli consider the 7 Pod range...Yes I know they are right up there on the schoville but the fruitiness and complexity of these is remarkable...whole range of colours and flavours but if you can locate a 7 Pod Jonah..it will blow your mind ( and give your palate a bit of a tickle )
geoffrey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #23
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

C.chinense Antillais caribbean is not too hot but hot enough if you eat two pods. Fruity habanerolike, very aromatic and a good producer. This individual produced 8kg crop.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #24
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Whoa! 8kg from a single plant is a winner!

I second the motion on Manzano, a very versatile, but kind of finicky to grow. If I could only grow one pepper it would be Manzano.
There is a Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture Scotch Bonnet that is exceptional and should be in commerce for 2015.
The Jamacian Habanero is also my favorite Hab.
The Arledge is an early Jalapeno-esque pepper, thinner wall - a Louisiana heirloom.
I did Biker Billy Jalapenos(Burpee F1) last year and was well pleased with the heat, size and ripening time.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #25
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

Well, if you happen to need seeds of the Jamaican scotch bonnet MoA, I´ve got them.
There are two plants overwintering with a dozen of pods.

Very pleasant variety.

As for Rocotos, PI 525873 aka Montufar is a perfect choice.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #26
kennyl
Tomatovillian™

I too like trying different kinds but in my opinion I always go back to the Jalapeno great flavor and heat.
kennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #27
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

kennyl... since you're in Louisiana, have you grown Tabasco peppers? They're one of my favorites. When ripe, not to hot, but very juicy.

-Jimmy
Old March 22, 2015   #28
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I too like Jalapeno, but when in Jamaica I got hooked on the jerk sauce and want to use the MOA Scotch Bonnets. I tried to germinate two, one came up, so I'll have some for sauce. You don't need that many! I can freeze them to be able to make the sauce all winter.
Another favorite pepper taste is green chili's. man I love that flavor and will grow some every year. Green sauce on enchiladas, it doesn't get better!

I also make a sweet pepper sauce, it's not bad, has it's place.
Old March 22, 2015   #29
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey44 View Post
Greetings all
I grow a lot of chilli also..only second to tomatoes
Cayenne I always grow to dry and grind for powder...leaves the commercial store versions dead in the water.Jalapeno is nor really all that hot but has a lovely flavour,,,I include it in some of my tomato sauce blends to add that little bit of warmth and complexity....anyone wants the recipe happy to give it..
If you really want an interesting chilli consider the 7 Pod range...Yes I know they are right up there on the schoville but the fruitiness and complexity of these is remarkable...whole range of colours and flavours but if you can locate a 7 Pod Jonah..it will blow your mind ( and give your palate a bit of a tickle )
I would be interested in the recipe, and what do you use it on?
Old March 22, 2015   #30
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think Malagueta is the best tasting of the hot peppers. It is so good I even endure it sometimes and I don't like really hot peppers. It is very small like about half the size of Tabasco with about two or three times the kick. One distinct quality of the pepper is despite the intense heat it dissipates very fast and doesn't leave you with a burning mouth for more than a minute or so which is really unusual. It makes the best vinegar sauce for greens I have ever eaten but after about 2 months after it is made it gets very hot and only increases with time til I can't use it anymore.

Uyayaba is a large cayenne looking pepper that grows on a bush so large it is almost a small tree and one plant can supply you with a huge amount of peppers. They are about like a mild habenero in heat.

My favorite is Pappadew which if the summer is wet and cool is not very hot but if the weather cooperates it has a nice little bite and a very nutty flavor. It is my favorite pepper to make red hot sauce with but one summer I had to add a few Malaquetas to my sauce to get the heat up a bit.

I love Jalapenos on Mexican dishes so it is a must grow every year and the heat varies with the weather.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote