Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 25, 2019   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Pressure canned it. DH loves his Power Pressure Cooker XL (like an Insta-Pot) and felt more comfortable with pressure canning. Overkill, maybe, but we have a rule in our house: each project (or piece of a project) has a boss. The boss makes decisions; the helper can suggest. I was boss of preparing the jelly; he was boss of the canning. (We're both control freaks and this rule saves our marriage.)
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Pressure canned it. DH loves his Power Pressure Cooker XL (like an Insta-Pot) and felt more comfortable with pressure canning. Overkill, maybe, but we have a rule in our house: each project (or piece of a project) has a boss. The boss makes decisions; the helper can suggest. I was boss of preparing the jelly; he was boss of the canning. (We're both control freaks and this rule saves our marriage.)

I asked as it might be why the jelly did not set well the first time, but it sure sounds like a good "rule" and saves a lot of....dissent time! <grin>

Barb would probably know, but I ~think~ I read some place on the 'net that too much heat can stop pectin from working well; that could be wrong and just a faulty memory though.

Last edited by imp; October 25, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2019   #18
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

uh oh; if that's true, we did exactly the wrong thing. Pressure canning went for 20 minutes and then there's the time after that as the pressure's releasing, and the jelly's still bubbling. Next time we'll do a simple hot water bath. I found that info on the internet, too: excessive heat inhibits pectin.

The results look good, however. The small jars have all jelled well; the bigger ones start to slide slowly if turned on their side. They're cooling in the fridge.

Taste is to die for.
Old October 26, 2019   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Glad it worked out. For jellies and jams, typically water bath canning is all that's needed and most recipes are based on that method.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like it came out okay then and great that it's yummy too. I suspect that I learn more about cooking by goofing up! Glad t worked out so well, Nan!
Old October 26, 2019   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No one as of my knowledge has discussed the acidity of an elderberry and if the right amount of acid was used.
I checked and you used twice the amount you would with tomato products so you should be okay.

Just saying.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019   #22
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The lemon juice was one of the few things we got right.