Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 12, 2012   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Did you have Late Blight in your area last year? If so the tubers could be infected since Late Blight can overwinter underground in Potato tubers. If not, probably nothing to worry about.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #17
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Yes there was a lot of late blight genearlly on the community garden which is why I am so worried.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, we did some copper spray in 2005, and I cannot say it helped too much. Stopped spraying since then.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; June 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #19
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Tania, I need to put a hoop house cover over mu outside ones, I didn't expect to have to do it so soon but I guess it is a priority now. May I ask where you get your plastic from. I also need plastic hooping, O have tons of the clips that go on.

I know West Coast have the plastic but ut is along way to go and I don't know of it is any better than stuff I may be able to get locally.

XX Jeannine
We buy our GH plastic in Vancouver at False Creek Industries: http://www.falsecreekind.com/greenhouse.html for about $250 for 2400 sq.ft., which is a very reasonable price compared to West Coast Seeds or others. And very good quality too - it has lasted for 7 years already, no complaints.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Oh Dear, and Iwent and ordered from West Coast today, Thank you though. I will need more so will look them up.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #21
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I check my plants everyday but like Kath said we have had alot of rain including yeaterday's drenching.

I was lucky enough to have sprayed Daconil on my tomato plants during a short 30 hr dry period.
I'm going out shortly to check each plant again.

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #22
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'll be suiting up and spraying today when the leaves are dry- this am if possible, but most likely this evening. Our forecast shows only very low possibility of rain until a week from this Friday!Really, really hoping they're right.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #23
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I hope so too Kath!!!
Old June 25, 2012   #24
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Well, rain today and tomorrow, with cooler temps. Isn't that ideal conditions for LB? I found one portion of a leaf on top of my rosella purple that was totally black yesterday. I sprayed everything, except lakeside tomatoes which I intended to do the fishmilk, but it got too dark and now it's raining. I'm going out of town for a few days, so at least the bulk of plants have been sprayed.
Old June 25, 2012   #25
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Well, rain today and tomorrow, with cooler temps. Isn't that ideal conditions for LB? I found one portion of a leaf on top of my rosella purple that was totally black yesterday. I sprayed everything, except lakeside tomatoes which I intended to do the fishmilk, but it got too dark and now it's raining. I'm going out of town for a few days, so at least the bulk of plants have been sprayed.
I wouldn't worry too much- this afternoon it's supposed to be sunny and breezy, so that should be enough time to dry things up and enable a spraying to happen today. I'm hoping to spray bt because I've squished more than a dozen hornworms in the past 2 days. They're still small enough to be found by the little holes in the leaves rather than by their giant poo and I'd like to keep it that way. Tomorrow's chance of rain still seems relatively small, so I plan to keep an eye on that and decide whether to use the fungicide late Tues. or Wed. The next chance for after that seems to be thunderstorms looks to be Fri.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #26
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

The sun is peaking through the cloud cover as I write this at 10:11 AM today.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to be spraying Daconil.

Everything good so far.

Julia
Old June 25, 2012   #27
hoffman900
Tomatovillian™

The extension office put out an advisory for late blight about 3 weeks ago in western south jersey on potatoes. The tubers had come from Maine somewhere. So far, no reports since then.

I had some early blight on leaves I missed spraying, but I removed the leaves and so far so good.

Last edited by hoffman900; June 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
hoffman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #28
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I sprayed fish/kelp before the rain and Daconil this morning. Hope the weather cooperates.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #29
ca1ore
Tomatovillian™

Late blight found in New Haven, CT also (on a seedling bought from retail). So far, all clear chez moi - no desire for a repeat of 2009.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #30
jsuperchi
Tomatovillian™

LB in New Haven isn't what I needed to hear. I'm about 10 miles north in Cheshire.

-Josh
jsuperchi is offline   Reply With Quote