Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 3, 2007   #16
JereGettle
Tomatovillian™

"Most of us have to go by a catalog's description. Maybe there should be other companies who receive a big thumbs down for the descriptions in their catalogs."

May be you should try the tomato for your self, before you decide on my taste for tomatoes, Me and my grower really liked this tomato...

I really don't care who does or who does not....

I only go by what we like!
JereGettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

In case anyone missed it, Jere Gettle is owner/operator of Baker Creek Seeds.

Hopefully you don't feel your catalog is being accused of anything!

Flavor is subjective. Histories can be challenged.

I find TGS incredibly generous in its flavor profiles. We would have no need for Brandywine and Cherokee Purple if half their flavor descriptions rang true.

Amishland just makes things up out of whole cloth, describing varieties that were bred 10 years ago in the U.S. as "old Russian heirlooms handed down from seed saved from 100 years ago" and other nonsense. Fortunately, histories can be proven and disproven where the facts have not been obscured by time, and I know you are one who tries to have a level of accuracy which is admirable.

Welcome to the forums!!!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2007   #18
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Jere,

Welcome to the forums. You have a great company and we're all happy you are here.

LoreD
Old January 4, 2007   #19
JereGettle
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!

This is a great site,

I don't know if I have a great company, but I sure do have a fun hobby...
JereGettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2007   #20
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JereGettle
Thanks!

This is a great site,

I don't know if I have a great company, but I sure do have a fun hobby...
I would very sincerely say you have both...please enjoy our company here at Tomatoville and may I wish you continued prosperity with your company.

Adenn1
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2007   #21
virgnia_farmer1776
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the heads up on seeds of diversity. and on amishland.
Chuck
Old February 2, 2007   #22
Suze
Tomatovillian™

On the site, Brandywine OTV is incorrectly described as a pinkish-red tomato, and is listed in the 'pink' section. Nor are the tomatoes pictured correct. BW OTV is very red, almost an orangish-red.

Also noticed Mikado Pink and Mikado White being offered for sale.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #23
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Over at the Baker Creek Forums, there are several posts from Amisland's owner. Mostly defending herself.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #24
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Default Amishland

I have ordered from her and also asked questions. She would be one of the top 4 or so vendors at this time I've done business with. And I have bought from ten this year alone. If I have problems I will email her first like I do all then I will post here if I see a real problem. The service, seeds ect. seem to be fine as of now. I could name a few that is promoted on here that I feel inflate their descriptions, don't send all of the varieties you order but have them a week later but you have to pay shipping again to get them. Coincidence maybe. I only judge anyone from the business dealings I have with them. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2007   #25
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Amishland

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36
I have ordered from her and also asked questions. She would be one of the top 4 or so vendors at this time I've done business with. And I have bought from ten this year alone. If I have problems I will email her first like I do all then I will post here if I see a real problem. The service, seeds ect. seem to be fine as of now. I could name a few that is promoted on here that I feel inflate their descriptions, don't send all of the varieties you order but have them a week later but you have to pay shipping again to get them. Coincidence maybe. I only judge anyone from the business dealings I have with them. Jay
Jay, I don't disagree in terms of some of the points you've made.

Sure, personal experience certainly counts.

Sure, others may be generous with their descriptions. Lisa is much more "generous" than most others are though, to the point of spreading misinformation and in general, just being ridiculously/annoyingly over the top.

Sure, if someone has problems with a vendor, they should be first contacting that vendor and giving them a chance to rectify the situation before complaining publically.

Specifically, Lisa knowingly renamed varieties as a marketing tool and has even admitted doing so before.
http://web.archive.org/web/200402041...073429078.html

Quote:
"I honestly believed my names to be a clever marketing tool to steer people to my seed offerings, nothing more."
http://web.archive.org/web/200310080...landseeds.com/

Tom Wagner's Green Grape being called Teenie Greenie, CP being referred to as '1890 Native American' tomato. Yuk. Just a couple of examples.

It should also be mentioned that some of her ebay listings at that time just had the alternative/aka names in them and as such were even more misleading than the website.

Also, there is no Shah Mikado. And the explanation of how she ended up with Mikado (the pink one) defies logic/credibility.

Quote:
"This pink fruited version of this tomato came mixed in with the very rare pure white " Mikado" or "Shah" that I had traded for."
So, how would it be possible to know what some seeds that happened to be mixed in with another seed pack are? Answer: It probably isn't.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2007   #26
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

Default :?:

Suze - could you amplify your response re Shah Mikado? I noticed that Underwood Gardens also lists a Shah/Mikado in its catalog. (I've never ordered from them before, but they have a good GW rating...)

I've been trying out various white/cream tomatoes, and because I trust T-ville, I would like to know more about the (non)existence of this (faux?) cultivar before I buy from anyone claiming to have it.

Thanks,

Bobby
johnsonjrbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2007   #27
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

This search led me to another search for "William Weaver" and more education...

I'm now curious as to exact nature of the Tomato Formerly Known as Shah/Mikado. According to Underwood's description:

"3-6 oz. flattened globes of creamy, yellow-white flesh. Excellent, sweet, full-bodied flavor with mild, acid tang."

I'm wondering what tomato seed they may be selling by that name. They want 4 bucks for 40-50 seeds...
Old February 13, 2007   #28
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

William Woys Weaver has a tendency to write as much fiction as documented history, the Shah M tomato being a case in point. This tendency is not 'appreciated' (in both senses but not at the same time) by many readers of his publication.

That and his failure to cite critical sources or defer credit make me cautious when hearing his name given as reference.

Jennifer, who was working for the Toronto Hysterical Board when the WWW book came out, omitting mention of a few sources, much to their dismay.

PS Ask Carolyn or Craig about the Shah.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2007   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

PS Ask Carolyn or Craig about the Shah.

Sheesh Jennifer, why did you do that?

Craig probably doesn't know this thread has now menioned Shah, and he has enough on his hands with his dad and all, as well as the fact that he hasn't been posting much lately, so I'll say just a few words, and no more.

The variety Shah has long been known to be extinct.

Weaver has a habit of resurrecting stuff from the dead, regardless of the stuff being posted about Shah and a European source.

Viz General Grant and Red Fig as two other examples that come to mind ASAP as regards Lazarus type offererings by WWW with no plausible documentation.

There never was a Mikado White variety.

Most probably what's being passed off as Shah is Potato Leaf White.

The problem is that Craig has the old seed catalog with Shah described and the color is NOT white/ivory, it's about the color of Yellow Brandywine and waxy looking as the catalog says, and the sizes are off as well.

What's common to Underwood Gardens and Amishland with their listings of this variety is that both Mayo and Lisa know Weaver and believe almost anything he tells them.

That's all folks.
Old February 13, 2007   #30
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the clarification, Carolyn.

I recently received White Potato Leaf seeds from Sandhill Preservation, so I guess I'll be able to resist the temptation to acquire a $4 pack of "Shah/Mikado"... :wink: