Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2008   #1
clara
Tomatovillian™

Default Who knows about these varieties?

Hello! Here's a new tomatovillian! Please excuse my mistakes in English - it's not my mother language!
I got some tomato seeds from the USA and although googling for hours, I couldn't find anything about them. Concerning others, I only found out that they exist either in the american or in the canadian genebank. So, if anybody has some informations?

The completly unknown are:
Azoychlen Orange
Black Mystery
Cal(l)i Orange
Guernsey Pink Blush
Palmira's Northern Italian
Perpetual Change
Pink Cadillac
Russian Love

Those existing only in the genebanks are:

Ai Sheng Zao Shi
Americke Pyramidni
Aviuri (Avyuri?)
Bola Maciso
Fengshan
Huando
Koktarest
Kwandi Hsi Hung Shih
Phenomenal
Piovano (I only know that it's probably from Argentina)

Under these names, I got the seeds.

I would be very pleased knowing more about history, color, size etc of these varieties. It's so hard to wait for the harvest!

Thank you! Clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2008   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Hello and welcome Clara. I don't know any of those varieties but I'm sure with all the knowledgeable people on this forum you'll get most of the information you're after.
Old February 17, 2008   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Clara!

The name Azoychlen Orange looks very much like Azoychka (Azochka or Zolotoy Barago are the right names for this Russian tomato variety).

70 days. Indeterminate plant produces good yields of 8 oz lemon yellow beefsteak tomatoes. This tomato is very sweet and flavorful with a hint of citrus. Excellent for sandwiches, salads, sauces, and gourmet dishes. A non-commercial variety from Russia.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #4
clara
Tomatovillian™

Hello Andrey,
I was also thinking of Azoychka, when I got the seeds, but I doubted because of the name. I have seeds of Azoychka as well for this season und will try to find out wether it's the same variety. Greetings to Minsk! Clara
Old February 17, 2008   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Clara, I don't recognize any of them other than Azoychka.

It would help if you could list just the ones you got from the US and from where you got them. At first I thought it was the ones on your first list, but I'm not sure.

I don't think any of them are from the US gene bank, if you mean our USDA b'c that's been closed to private individuals for a few years now.

I assume many of them are from Gatersleben but I don't know which ones, and if they were, I haven't seen anyone mention them although many varieties from Gatersleben are known to US folks..

When I have time I'd be willing to check the ones you got from the US in some of my SSE Yearbooks, where about 4000 varieties are listed, but it would really be helpful if you could look at the seed packs you were sent and say what color the fruits are for each variety.
Old February 17, 2008   #6
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Clara, I'm willing to help with anything from Canada. I'm not clear though if you received the seeds from a seed company, a trader, or directly from the Canadian genebank. None of the names are very familiar.

And welcome.
Ich spreche Deutsches nur wenig. Ihr Englisch ist besser.

Jennifer
Old February 17, 2008   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Clara, check out these spreadsheets. They have most of your varieties. Welcome to Tville and where in Germany do you live?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...vQRBX8xwlxq5Dg

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...vQQtCxphSAGKFw

Courtesy Grunt and Grungy
Old February 17, 2008   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Hello to everybody and thank you for the nice welcome!

I got all these seeds from a member of Tomatoville (I don't know if i can tell the name) and when I asked him for more informations, he recommended me to join Tomatoville, which was a pretty good idea as I must say after being a member only for such a short time! I've already spent hours with reading and reading!

When I got the seeds, it was a "must" for me to look on many sites for getting informations, because on the small packages, there is only the name! No color, no size, no type etc. Some of them (my second list) could be found at:

http://www.seeds.ca/hpd/cvdetail.php...icke+Pyramidni

But for the others, I found no informations. Maybe you know, that in Germany, there is a wonderful seed-collector (Gerhard Bohl); he has about 2000 different tomatoes and peppers and peas and eggplants and... But he is not on the internet, unfortunately!!! In his "Sortenbuch", there 's nothing about my "unknown"-ones, altough his varieties come from all over the world and he is in contact with many other seedsavers, such as Manfred Hahm-Hartmann and Reinhard Kraft. I suppose, they are known in the US als well.

Ami, after this mail, I'll check what you told me - thank you very much for that link!

And by the way, I live in a small town near Cologne, about 15 km from there.

All the best to you all and thank you very much for helping me, Clara
Old February 17, 2008   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ami,
Thank you so much! You're right, on these sites i really found a lot of my "unknown"! Why didn't I find these sites before...? But as I am a historian, I would love to know even more! But now I know: They really do exist!

I admit: Since I became crazy of old tomatoes, I'm quite insatiable in knowing about them... and history is a part of it! So I was very happy reading about Black Ethiopian from Carolyn!

Have a nice sunday, Clara
Old February 17, 2008   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

and he is in contact with many other seedsavers, such as Manfred Hahm-Hartmann and Reinhard Kraft. I suppose, they are known in the US als well.

Yes Clara very well known, especially to those of us who are members of SSE and I've known Reinhard for many years and have sent him a few hundred varieties to date and we're about to exchange just a few varieties again.

Reinhard grows the tomatoes and his activities are not the same as Manfred's whose site is linked to Reinhard's, as you know, and who sells seeds, many of which are varieties that Reinhard has on his photgalerie, but not all.
Old February 17, 2008   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Phenomenal could be an old CV that I dug out of the USDA collection some years ago and sent to a few people...then again, it may not be! I've not grown it yet myself, so have no idea what it is supposed to be like, or what its pedigree is (except that I assume it is an older US commercial variety, likely a medium sized red!)
Old February 17, 2008   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Clara, your more than welcome and you have come to one of the best tomato forums as you have found out. Very nice people always willing to help and share. And I need to send off for Herr Bohl's catalog, thanks for mentioning it. I live in the Pfalz by Kaiserslautern. Ami
Old February 17, 2008   #13
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I'm one of the people Craig sent Phenomenal to. I grew it in 2005 - My comments at the time:

Regular leaf plant with an average amount of foliage. The plant only got about 3 1/2 feet tall but I think that was due more to its struggles than it’s genetics. It also appears to be an indeterminate variety since what fruit it did produce was over about a month’s time.
Now the important part – taste. Pretty unremarkable! Maybe a 6.5 it you stretch it. It was a solid, yet moist fruit with a surprisingly tender skin. (That gives it points in my book.) It started out mostly bland and finished with a very mild tart taste. For me it just lacked that good-old tomato taste.
Old February 17, 2008   #14
clara
Tomatovillian™

Hello Carolyn,
I do love Reinhard's galerie and by regarding these wonderful photos, I thougt of cultivating some of these for myself. Manfred has been very helpful with some informations, especially to the "Ei von Phuket" - that 's the tomato, my interest in tomatoes began with! May i tell you: I really love Asia and have been there for more than 25 times, in Thailand, China, Malaysia, Sri Lanka. Once being on the internet, I found the name "Ei von Phuket" and I couldn't believe that I knew nothing about it, having had several holidays on this beautiful island! So looking what it was, I found the tomato... and then my interest in tomatoes grew and grew and I decided to have my own plants in the garden. I supposed they would taste much better than those bought in the supermarket and I was right! Manfred than told me how the "Ei" came to him and to Germany. And for this season, I bought some varieties from Manfred (at a really low price!). So I'm looking forward to an interesting and delicious harvest! Clara
Old February 18, 2008   #15
clara
Tomatovillian™

Hello to all of you!

I'm really surprised and very happy! I already got a lot of informations and even photos of my "unknown" tomatoes! That is more than I exspected! I must update my list, then I'll ask for more. Again: This was the best idea to join "Tomatoville"!