Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 30, 2019   #1
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Neem Oil

Major aphid attack so I bought pure neem oil, mixed it with water and a bit of dishwashing soap as directed and put it into a spray bottle. My questions are 1) what is the best dishwashing soap to use, 2) would Murphy's Oil Soap be a good addition, 3) how often to spray the peppers, tomatoes, okra and eggplant, 4) should the neem spray be washed off after application and 5) how often to spray the plants.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
Major aphid attack so I bought pure neem oil, mixed it with water and a bit of dishwashing soap as directed and put it into a spray bottle. My questions are 1) what is the best dishwashing soap to use, 2) would Murphy's Oil Soap be a good addition, 3) how often to spray the peppers, tomatoes, okra and eggplant, 4) should the neem spray be washed off after application and 5) how often to spray the plants.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
For aphids you don't even need the neem. The soapy water alone will kill them quickly. Make sure you don't spray in the heat of the day. You can even get rid of them with a strong water spray to the plant. Repeat every 4 days for 3 times. Neem can burn the plants if they get sun on the oil, and bits just not necessary for aphids.
I use clear dish soap, anybody's.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #3
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
For aphids you don't even need the neem. The soapy water alone will kill them quickly. Make sure you don't spray in the heat of the day. You can even get rid of them with a strong water spray to the plant. Repeat every 4 days for 3 times. Neem can burn the plants if they get sun on the oil, and bits just not necessary for aphids.
I use clear dish soap, anybody's.
How common in FL is neem oil used for mater gardening? I always wondered if it was more a zone 6 and below type thing.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
How common in FL is neem oil used for mater gardening? I always wondered if it was more a zone 6 and below type thing.
I used it for one season, then I got wise. I don't have any idea how common it's use is here.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019   #5
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Cold Pressed Neem is awesome stuff for insects that eat the leaves or fruit. Doesn't work so well on sucking insects like aphids unless used as a contact spray. Like Ginger said, soapy water or a good spray from the hose will take care of aphids as well.

As for which soap to use, any dishwashing detergent like dawn is fine. The soap is only used to suspend the neem in the water. Without it, the neem just floats on the water.

When I lived in Tampa Neem was used a bunch for scale and other insects on woody shrubs and trees in the landscapes. I don't know if it was used on Veggie gardens around there.

Last edited by Country Breeze; April 1, 2019 at 09:13 AM.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aphids , neem oil , soap , spray