Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2019   #31
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Vladimir, the MMMM is great but why not try growing some this season? There's still plenty of time and I can send you seed, or you can request a particular variety in the wanted forum. I have Beck's Big Buck Horn and Jing Orange, which is both beautiful and delicious. I have a few others but am not sure the seed isn't crossed until I test it. Those two I'm sure of.

Edit: Don those two are offered to you as well!
I would like to try to grow a okra. It's an unknown vegetable in our country. Thanks for the offer, I'm sending a private message.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #32
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Evertender for a number of years. The Kerr Center in Oklahoma had an okra trial in 2008 and Evertender was one of the better ones. Does seem to hold its tenderness longer as it gets larger.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Star of David is a whopper of an okra.
Grew it one year too.
Not as much slime.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #34
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Southern Exposure Seed exchange has all the okra talked about here and some nice descriptions. Great place for buying seeds. Really nice selection of heirloom tomatoes and generous seed count on almost everything.

http://www.southernexposure.com/vege...ra-c-3_36.html

I read the history of okra a few years ago. Roasted Okra seeds were used to replace coffee in the Civil War when the North had all the Southern ports under blockade. Some people still mix coffee beans and okra even today.

There was also a research report put out by a major university saying that since Okra can be grown almost anywhere it would easily solve world hunger as the mature seeds are very similar to soybeans nutrition wise.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #35
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

I've grown a lot of okra varieties over the years but I finally settled on Stewart's Zeebest as my all-time favorite - I'll grow it again this year.

George and Mary Stewart, master gardeners in Houston, TX, are gone now - but they put a LOT of time and effort into selecting for quality and propagating this variety in the 1980's and '90's. Seeds are still available from various suppliers.

In my garden and in my opinion, for me at least - it has sure proved to be "Zeebest" okra!
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Louisiana green velvet and long pod green are two of my other favorites.
Old March 2, 2019   #37
MdTNGrdner

Stewart's Zeebest is at the top of my "to try" list - I've heard good things about it!
Old March 2, 2019   #38
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

For those interested, here's a link to a good article about how Stewart's Zeebest okra was developed.

http://masterofhort.com/2015/05/stew...tty-g-leander/
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #39
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Vladimir, the MMMM is great but why not try growing some this season? There's still plenty of time and I can send you seed, or you can request a particular variety in the wanted forum. I have Beck's Big Buck Horn and Jing Orange, which is both beautiful and delicious. I have a few others but am not sure the seed isn't crossed until I test it. Those two I'm sure of.

Edit: Don those two are offered to you as well!

Very kind offer! Thank you. I think this year, I will try the Choppee and Cowhorn due to a limited growing space. If they perform well, I may branch out with other varieties and more space next year.

I've always enjoyed eating okra, but I've always resisted the temptation to grow it. Every year, our daughter would remember her childhood days of sitting on the floor, watching the Cowboys play football; and eating fried okra. Every year, she has encouraged me to add okra to my garden.

Since I've decided to grow it this year, I have been doing some research and have discovered an okra loving community of gardeners who are as passionate about okra as some are about tomatoes. Maybe near the end of this summer, I can also be branded an "okrahead".

Last edited by DonDuck; March 2, 2019 at 01:24 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Don't like the slime? Don't want fried? Here's a simple way to make it crunchy and sweet and slime free.
Cut okra into 1/2 inch pieces, about 4 or 5 per finger length pod. Toss in olive oil, sprinkle a little salt and fresh cracked pepper. Place pieces in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast at 400F for 15 minutes. Turn over and roast for another 10-15 minutes until crunchy.
Delicious and slime free.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Helpful cooking tip.

If you dont like the slime okra has add acid just about any acid you would normally eat or in other words find in food.
Anything from citric acid to white wine if you so desire.
This will cut the slime.
Old March 2, 2019   #42
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Anyone eat the leaves?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #43
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

My mom on occasion would cut up pieces of green tomato and fry with the okra.
Outstanding!
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #44
MdTNGrdner

Haven't tried the leaves Tormato, is that a thing? I have to look it up.

And Worth is right on about the acid, I often fry chopped or mostly whole (tops off) okra in a little vinegar and it takes the slime right out (as well as roasted - yum!).

Green tomatoes and okra?? Come on, summer!!!

Edit: Huh! Learned something new - not unusual, here
https://www.specialtyproduce.com/pro...eaves_8953.php

Last edited by MdTNGrdner; March 2, 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old March 2, 2019   #45
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear Jing Orange is good, because that is the one I ordered. I just steam fresh okra, delicious, I don’t mind the slime.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote