Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old November 7, 2018   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The berry bushes will grow in mostly shade, FYI. They're not fussy.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have had blackberries that were sweet and some sour it all depends on where they are grown what kind of soil and how much rain.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I'm not really looking for any "curb-appeal" with this property right now, I'm looking for "stay-out-and-leave-me-alone" without putting up chain link and razor wire. The property is split by the road going through so it is a lot of road frontage to cover. Cheap, fast and effective is the way I want to go. It is already very tree-lined, perhaps too much. I'd rather have short (6-15 ft) growth than 50-100 ft trees, which most of those will be coming down.
In a few years after I get everything established, I will probably open up 50-100' of frontage with a formal fenced driveway entrance, nicely landscaped, etc.... but while I am not living there and in a construction / start-up phase, I would rather no unwelcome visitors.

Would the 1800' of blackberry hedge be a permanent part of the landscape? If so, I think it will take you 2-3 years to get there. Planting a piece of root every 10' will take 180 root cuttings. That's a lot of digging them up (finding the good ones) and transplanting (I've done ~50 in half a day). If you loosen the soil and water only where you want them to spread, they should fill-in in 2-3 years. Planting every 5 feet means 360 root cuttings, but it would likely fill-in in only 2 years. I wouldn't want to be the one to cut down 1800' of 2-year old

dead floricanes and haul them away, every year.
If they're not going to be permanent, it'll then take you ~4 years to eradicate them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
....I wouldn't want to be the one to cut down 1800' of 2-year old

dead floricanes and haul them away, every year...
Don't cut out the dead canes every year. Let them add to the bulk of the brambles.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #20
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Would the 1800' of blackberry hedge be a permanent part of the landscape? If so, I think it will take you 2-3 years to get there. Planting a piece of root every 10' will take 180 root cuttings. That's a lot of digging them up (finding the good ones) and transplanting (I've done ~50 in half a day). If you loosen the soil and water only where you want them to spread, they should fill-in in 2-3 years. Planting every 5 feet means 360 root cuttings, but it would likely fill-in in only 2 years. I wouldn't want to be the one to cut down 1800' of 2-year old

dead floricanes and haul them away, every year.
If they're not going to be permanent, it'll then take you ~4 years to eradicate them.
I am looking for them to be permanent. The township limits hard roadside fencing to 4 foot high, but they don't limit the soft-scape fencing. I was planning to propagate by stem cuttings, not by root, and using a mower or bushhog to keep the stray growth in check.
I'll cut some stems this weekend and see if they root for me in damp peatmoss and sand mix, but I'm still not sure this is the right time of year to do that.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I am looking for them to be permanent. The township limits hard roadside fencing to 4 foot high, but they don't limit the soft-scape fencing. I was planning to propagate by stem cuttings, not by root, and using a mower or bushhog to keep the stray growth in check.
I'll cut some stems this weekend and see if they root for me in damp peatmoss and sand mix, but I'm still not sure this is the right time of year to do that.
no, this is not the right time of year to try to take cuttings. but the new plants that are out there will be small enough to transplant right now. you just need a sharp shovel to make a few small cuts through the soil and move them with a bit of soil intact with the roots.
Old November 8, 2018   #22
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
no, this is not the right time of year to try to take cuttings. but the new plants that are out there will be small enough to transplant right now. you just need a sharp shovel to make a few small cuts through the soil and move them with a bit of soil intact with the roots.
Good to know. I didn't think the cuttings would work at this time of year since the plants appear dormant. If I can get 400 ft transplanted in the next week or two near the pavilion area that would at least deter some trespassing for the coming Summer and then plant more from cuttings in the Spring. Judging from the trash, I think most access the property from the road on the east side if they are walking in.

Last edited by rhines81; November 8, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Just make wedges of soil from about 3 points into a triangle 4" or so deep. Pop them out and move them as soon as you can get to it.
Old November 9, 2018   #24
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Good advice