Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 28, 2018   #391
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Walked into my local HEB and they are rearranging everything.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #392
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I sure am glad that our HEB isn't remodeling at the same time. HEB and Walmart are the two busiest stores in town for buying groceries.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #393
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The only stores in may town
They nust remodel some time ago now some nut decided to rearrange.
Took forever to find the canned corn.
Old June 28, 2018   #394
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, you're talking about putting sheeting over the top of the buckets rather than putting the buckets in clear plastic bags? I don't think it'll work. It'll solarize the top several inches of soil. You need to surround the bucket with plastic to get the material down at the bottom solarized, no?
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #395
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I finally got the link to load. Those would be easy to use. (My PC didn't care for the last Windows update.)

I did find some 3.5 MIL plastic sheeting that is what I was looking for https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husky-10x...-5mil/20896139 It says it's in stock at our local Walmart. That's what I used in our garden a couple years ago and it's cheap,

The problem with our local Walmart is that it is a pilot store and is going through a complete store remodel. That plastic may be near the diapers for all I know
What would you use the sheeting for?

You know bags are what's needed for the containers, and Nan's right thst the bag needs to completely enclose the container, and be sealed off, water and air tight.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #396
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Salt, you're talking about putting sheeting over the top of the buckets rather than putting the buckets in clear plastic bags? I don't think it'll work. It'll solarize the top several inches of soil. You need to surround the bucket with plastic to get the material down at the bottom solarized, no?
Nan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
What would you use the sheeting for?

You know bags are what's needed for the containers, and Nan's right thst the bag needs to completely enclose the container, and be sealed off, water and air tight.
I didn't know about that part. I was thinking of how I solarized the 45' x 45' garden back 2016. Thank both of you for the information. I would have just been wasting my time and effort otherwise.

Now that I think of it, I remember Marsha writing about covering the whole container in maybe the Florida thread or similar. That was back when I was still trying to grow in-ground.

Again, Thank you both.
Old June 30, 2018   #397
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had computer problems today that took around 4 hours to fix (Hopefully).

The computer was acting like either Windows 7 was corrupted/missing files, or the terabyte hard drive was going bad. I was getting Dos checksum errors - and at times - the blue screen of death. I could go on-and-on.

When I could get Windows to load - I was able to stay here long enough to PM Worth that I was having computer problems. I know a lot more about fixing computers than I do about container gardening. One - I went to college for with a 3.51 GPA, and the other is what this thread is about which I would grade myself below 2.00 at this time. Learning is part of living and it keeps us all striving to do better.

If you don't see me posting, it's because this computer isn't fixed. If I have to build a new PC - that will take some time and money. Of course, this PC might last another 10 years. Who knows?
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

The okra is still growing, but it is acting like it is stunted, and there is a good chance of that. I look at that as me not knowing what I was doing, and also as a challenge.

I quit watering the last two tomato plants a few days ago - there is no reason to water - the heat is too intense. If you will notice on my avatar it says "Heat Zone 9" It should read 11+ this year. Ask anyone in Texas.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 30, 2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old June 30, 2018   #398
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Got the PM Salt and was in the middle of a thousand things at once, as usual on a Friday.
Just about the time I was about to pack up and go home I was called to another place to look at something.
Turned out to be operator error.

I still need to experiment with container okra I haven't hit a sweet spot yet.

Worth
Old July 1, 2018   #399
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Have faith in that okra. They grow slow till they get good root development then go into cruise control if you keep them watered. I think these were started in April and they're just now starting to produce.

I'm growing two plants of Choppee Indian okra for seeds in a 5 gallon bucket and so far they're doing good despite some bug damage on the leaves. If I hadn't started these late, I'd be picking by now. This is recycled potting soil, the only fertilizer I used was a handful of rabbit pellets mixed in the bottom 1/3 of the mix. I water them in the morning and afternoon and they still wilt during the heat of the day. They get dappled sun till noon then full sun till sunset. I'd prefer full sun all morning till about 2 then dappled but I don't have that option unless I put buckets in the front yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2471.JPG (401.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2476.JPG (385.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2475.JPG (314.1 KB, 153 views)
Old July 1, 2018   #400
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rajun, sorry it took so long to reply (Computer problems) I have some okra at that stage too. I have harvested two okra that grew thin and close to 4 inches long, but are too hard to eat. They are Louisiana Green Velvet. Today, was really hot with a lot of ozone/silt in the air - you could easily see it. There was a lot of wilting of the plants that did recover after they were in shade. I watered/fed them well tonight. We'll see what happens tomorrow. They might need some shade during the hottest part of the day? That's the good thing with containers - you can move them around (Except caged tomato plants.)

I've already got seeds for some faster DTM varieties of vegetables for fall and carrots for winter. Spinach and Mustard greens 45 days, Radishes 30 days, also carrots. I'm letting my son teach me about carrots because he has a passion for growing them, and has done so for a few years. He is going with his choice of new mix, and I'm going to use the mix that I have. They will be grown in the same kind of buckets, but other than that - we are going to experiment with other things. I'm going to use the 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 / Magnesium Sulfate to water with.

I haven't researched it, but I have to give it a try.

Onions - I haven't given enough thought about yet.
Old July 2, 2018   #401
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Salt - Thanks for the yellow squash recommendation a few weeks ago -- it's on my list for 2019.

If you're ever looking for a green zucchini that's bred for container-growing, try Astia F1. It's supposed to be resistant to powdery mildew, and it's prolific and FAST-growing. Seems to like heat, but requires frequent watering. The plant wilts when thirsty. I'll be taste-testing the first two ripe ones tonight; they're about 5" long, which is full-size. I seeded them at the end of May; they germinated June 3 -- it's only July 2?!?!?! More are on the way -- see attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astia 3.JPG (131.5 KB, 134 views)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #402
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Never grown zucchinis before . Some good, some off , even though it looks good ...

When I cook zucchini's, I always cut off the top, blanch/eat/test each one individually before cooking as a a small percentage is always bitter. What causes that I dunno ?
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #403
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Salt - Thanks for the yellow squash recommendation a few weeks ago -- it's on my list for 2019.

If you're ever looking for a green zucchini that's bred for container-growing, try Astia F1. It's supposed to be resistant to powdery mildew, and it's prolific and FAST-growing. Seems to like heat, but requires frequent watering. The plant wilts when thirsty. I'll be taste-testing the first two ripe ones tonight; they're about 5" long, which is full-size. I seeded them at the end of May; they germinated June 3 -- it's only July 2?!?!?! More are on the way -- see attached photo.
It's a beautiful picture. I have always enjoyed pictures of gardening/nature/landscape. I will look up Astia F1 soon - once I have my computer fixed.
Old July 3, 2018   #404
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is no way my computer will infect anyone else's here. I finally got the bug to show its ugly head tonight, and it has an embarrassing name. Last night, I posted a lot of music in the music thread trying to see if I had malware issues, but it worked fine. I was doing a normal (For me) search about gardening tonight when the site was redirected. It's one of those scams where they try to scare the user into paying their ransom. My first thought was ransomeware, but that doesn't usually keep a computer from loading. (Loading from press the button to windows is all Dos.)

I unplugged the internet cord and Windows loaded just fine. That means it is infected with riskware. Riskware is new to me, but it has been around since at least late 2016. I'm thinking that riskware removal products are being sold by the ones who infected the computer in the first place.

I don't have an answer yet, but I will.
Old July 3, 2018   #405
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found the answer to the computer problem and it is running faster than ever before. Riskware and Ransomeware are basically the same thing. A program that infects the system letting it run just enough to get the user to panic to do what is necessary to make it better. A quick easy fix is what most of us wants, but that costs money.

It sounds like some gardening diseases, but with a different purpose. Or is it?

With fixing computers, it can take more than one approach and sometimes, more than one computer. I was able to fix this computer with two programs ran in safe mode without the internet being plugged in. It took 8 hours searching through two terabytes.

Container gardening is a learning process. One that I now have time for learning. Before the computer, we learned in a different way. This is a different time and a different way of learning.