Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 27, 2007   #31
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Well, this year was my third year purchasing seeds from Sandhill Preservation. Last year, I had mixed feelings about their quality of service, but I am giving them another chance.

Basically, last growing season, I placed my order at the end of 2005, because I wanted to get an early start on some varieties. To make a long story short, I orderd Kazakh melon seeds along with several other seeds. I tried several times to germinate the melon seeds (from Feb to late May) without any luck, so I contacted them via email.

I was told by who ever replied (all email signatures are "Glenn and Linda Drowns"), that their seeds are only good for the year purchase. I just don't understand why I would get 2005 seeds at the end of the year. To add insult to injury, he/she/they also said in the email response,

"We can only guarantee germination for the year in which the seed is purchased as we have no control over how that seed is stored once it leaves our facility".

Oh well. Luckily, I was promised a courtesy credit for a seed packet on 6/10/06. The credit never arrived.

I mailed my 2007 order to them last Tuesday. I also just emailed them regarding my outstanding credit.

I'll update you with their response. Like I said, I did order with them again. Perhaps, the bad customer service was a one time thing...Or so I hope.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2007   #32
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I dropped my order in the mail Jan. 6 and received my seeds Jan. 31. In years past, it took almost exactly one month to get my order so I do think they're a bit faster this year.
Old February 6, 2007   #33
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean
I dropped my order in the mail Jan. 6 and received my seeds Jan. 31.
About the same here. Ordered Jan 8th, arrived today Feb 6th.

Sandhill was out of Zogola and Crnkovic Yugoslavian but doubled the Sara's Galapagos order (1 pack of organic and 1 of regular seeds) and threw in for free Glesener and Glacier. See several other varieties have sold out since Jan 8th.

Glacier works out well as I ordered Matina and Kimberly from TGS. Early variety taste test time! We shall see who is telling the truth about these cultivars

A search brings up little on Glesener. Sandhill's description: 93 days. Indeterminate plants, a local family heirloom, semi-sweet fruits on potato leaf foliage.

Anyone know more? One pound or so size fruit?
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #34
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I ordered mine early January and they arrived today with a couple bonus packs, which is nice. This is the most seed I have received for the price and they were nicely packaged and in great condition.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #35
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT
A search brings up little on Glesener. Sandhill's description: 93 days. Indeterminate plants, a local family heirloom, semi-sweet fruits on potato leaf foliage.
Two different descriptions from SSE 2007 Yearbook:

93 days, indeterminate, potato leaf, flattened globe.

80 days, indeterminate, potato leaf, good yield of 8-12 oz. pink fruit, very good flavor.

93 days sounds like a long time for 8-12 oz globe fruit.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

93 days sounds like a long time for 8-12 oz globe fruit.

Glenn grows his plants preety much in pure sand, hence the name Sandhill, , and his DTM's are often longer than others for quite a few varieties, but not all, and he doesn't record DTM's every year as far as I know, and I think we all know the worth or non-worth of DTM's.

Yes?
Old February 12, 2007   #37
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds arrived

Service was just over 3 weeks. About like I expected. Was out of two varieties. Sent 3 free packs and a credit. Very generous amounts of seeds. Definately in my top five and one I will order from in the future. Also ordered some other seeds. Way over the said amount on all and in most cases seed count was the highest I've ever received. With only one order left to receive besides my SSE seeds I've only had one bad experience this year. Will probably not use that vendor again after such good results from several like Sandhill. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #38
angelique
Tomatovillian™

I received my seeds today from Sandhill. Although I did not receive a response to my email, they did include Petit Gris de Rennes melon seeds with my order and a free packet of Homestead tomato seeds.

My seeds arrived sooner than I expected.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2007   #39
GrowSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Location: Somewhere in the Universe on planet Earth in the USA in Alabama - zone 8

I got my first catalog from them today and would like to say (though I don't get many catalogs) that their cherry tomato seed listings is the most I have seen listed.
GrowSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008   #40
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Got my 2008 catalog today. They don't have the sweet potato I wanted this year but there are plenty more from which to choose. Happy shopping!
Old January 3, 2008   #41
Luvgardening2
Tomatovillian™

I am jealous. Mine has not arrived yet. I am looking forward to purchasing from them. Have my list ready from the 2007 catalog. They did not update their website. What do the tomato prices look like?

Thanks,

Nancy
Luvgardening2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008   #42
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Nancy. The tomato seed packets are now individually priced. Before, it was one packet at this price, five at that price. Now they're different prices depending on variety, but still cheap. They say they had a lot of problems with tomato seedlings this past season and they're out of a lot of varieties this year, I'm sorry to report.
Old January 3, 2008   #43
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

They charge $1.75 per pack and if your order 10 or more then it is $1.65. Very reasonable and lots of seeds.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008   #44
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Michele,

Way to go! But, I am close to them, sort of, so I guess once again, life is NOT fair!

I will keep looking!

Happy ordering!

Kent & Kathy
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2008   #45
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
They charge $1.75 per pack and if your order 10 or more then it is $1.65. Very reasonable and lots of seeds.
Prices have changed Alex, see the post above yours. I got mine today and flipped thru the tomato section quickly and actually saw a couple of varieties at $1.25/pack/

Seems reasonable to me that the varieties with more seeds be less expensive than those with very few, said Carolyn remembering the two years she couldn't offer Lillians' Yellow Heirloom b'c of too few seeds, as well as Opalka.