Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2019   #16
MdTNGrdner

Which leads me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZTxu4uj1bc
Old April 5, 2019   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The way I see it, a Citroen 2CV doesn't need a driver, or even need to be moving, to be hilarious. But that one was over the top.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #18
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
They had me at "these seeds came for a three pounde oxheart tomato but the tomato resembled a paste tomato. they were originally brought back from italy..."

If you find seeds and grow them, please put me at the top of the list for a couple of seeds!
I had to google the alternate name to find pictures, but I thought the same thing as well as far as first impressions. The lateral cut looked like a beef steak. The whole tomato looked like an oxheart. The radial cut down the middle made it look like a paste......
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #19
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Here's the post I found:

Guildo Pietroboni (Post #25)
Just got off the phone with Ferp.

He says that this tomato is approx. 3 lbs and a red Oxheart. An amazing tomato.

When he said that the tomato was like a paste tomato he didn't mean that it grew out differently from what was expected, he meant that it was very meaty and good for making sauce.
It originated with Guildo Petriboni who is deceased and Guildo brought it from Italy.

I'm growing this one next year for sure.

Neil G. (Canada)
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes, I think I must be living right. Today's mail brought a weird surprise. Someone sent me 3 seeds of Gildo Pietroboni. Because the envelope and nothing inside had a name or address or even a handle anywhere, I really don't know who sent them. The postmark was Lubbock, Texas. I don't know anyone from Lubbock. I used to live in Clovis, NM. But that's quite a few miles away. I've never before received seeds anonymously. Thanks to whoever you are.

Pappy taught me to never look a gift horse in the mouth. So, the three seeds are installed in three cells with Jiffy mix. I'm hoping for at least one of these to germinate.

BTW, my records from an older database also confirms the name as "GILDO".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #21
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Sometimes, I think I must be living right. Today's mail brought a weird surprise. Someone sent me 3 seeds of Gildo Pietroboni. Because the envelope and nothing inside had a name or address or even a handle anywhere, I really don't know who sent them. The postmark was Lubbock, Texas. I don't know anyone from Lubbock. I used to live in Clovis, NM. But that's quite a few miles away. I've never before received seeds anonymously. Thanks to whoever you are.

Pappy taught me to never look a gift horse in the mouth. So, the three seeds are installed in three cells with Jiffy mix. I'm hoping for at least one of these to germinate.

Talk about coincidence.....
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Well, from Lubbock, if you take TX114W, then US380W for 174 miles, there's this area...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #23
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I finally saw a little Gildo Pietroboni hoop two days ago and now the little guy is up and among the living. It's the seedling on the right. In the center is my germination from some very old Brown Berry seeds, and on the left is the cell which contains one Dolly Parton seed which had shown germination in a plastic bag/paper towel setup after almost 3 weeks.

OldSeeds1.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote