Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2017   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Pruden's Purple ? Need advice please

I have one PP plant. At some point the main stem split into two....I don't know how I missed it but when I noticed I decided to leave it. I haven't let any suckers grow. As of now the two stems are above the 6ft. cage, both healthy with flowers. However, as of now I only have one tomato at bottom of plant. I know I need to do something but not sure what. Maybe I should cut one of the stems off? Ouch that will hurt.

Any advice much appreciated.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If you can support them you could keep them both. You'll only be cutting off your future fruit if you prune one of the stems!

PP is delicious

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

PP will get you some more fruits, have patience, she can be a laggard at first, but she'll make up for it. No more pruning please.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Lack of fruit is not because of 2 stems. there must be oher reasons. I have an Esterina F2 with zillions of stems and they are all loaded. That was just an example.

On PP , I find it not very productive. My IS-PL is 5 times more productive . I won't grow PP again.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

PP for me was LAGGARD of the year. got seeds from Fedco and have grown it 3 times now. Pruden's Purple is officially in the retired column.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mine produced it's head off this year. Maybe 25-30 fruit. Delicious.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

PPP's are a late producer. If you have time to wait then they are great. But if you get diseases or early/late frosts, then they won't yield for you.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #8
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

My Pruden's Purple plants are producing really well. One is planted in a fairly low light area and I'm amazed at how much fruit it is producing. We'll see if that repeats next year.

Jillian, the tomato vines will eventually fold over the top of the cage and grow down. If I have space, I'll extend a horizontal pole to another support and train the vine along it. My pathways between raised beds are usually covered by tomato trellises!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #9
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

what a great result Marsha. I sure wish mine did that, no worries, Elgin Pink will be a monster pinch hitter. here's to Blue purple orbs!!

Hope the hanging part produces well Jillian.

Last edited by Gerardo; June 18, 2017 at 08:37 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #10
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much everyone! I will leave both stems, the plant is healthy so I will hold out. Would topping the stems help the plant to produce more fruit in the middle? I am not sure how much taller I want it to get, I am only 5'1. I usually let them go, but they become a bit unruly.

I have also been very impressed with Indian Stripe pl. It is 3 stems and producing like crazy.
Old June 18, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Thanks so much everyone! I will leave both stems, the plant is healthy so I will hold out. Would topping the stems help the plant to produce more fruit in the middle? I am not sure how much taller I want it to get, I am only 5'1. I usually let them go, but they become a bit unruly.

I have also been very impressed with Indian Stripe pl. It is 3 stems and producing like crazy.
You can let it drape .

In the middle of stem, if there some flower trusses or smaller fruit, that might work. Bur older part of the stem won't grow new flower trusses. It can only happen if side branches grow off of it and then flower/fruit.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm beginning to wonder if some of ya'll have the right plant. Pruden's Purple is always one of the most prolific plants in my garden. It is also one of the few pink beefsteaks that will set fruit in the hottest summer weather when almost nothing else will. My biggest problem with PP is that it is a relatively small vine with sparser foliage and yet frequently will set so many fruits that they will be too small. It is one of those plants that sometimes has to be culled in order to make decent sized fruit. It is also one of the earliest plants to produce ripe fruit out of all the varieties I have grown. I actually picked a ripe fruit off a PP either last year or the year before in less than 45 days after setting it out in May. The only plant the last few years that outproduces PP almost every time in the midsummer heat is ISPL. During the spring and early summer it is a good producer but when it gets a bit hotter it is a champ.

I will be setting out more PP plants this week for mid and late summer production along with ISPL and a few others that do well in the heat. I will also be grafting more of them for fall production but it is not the best plant for fall unless the fall is unusually hot which sometimes happens down here.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #13
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like the plant is overly vegetative. Fruit not growing (but not dropping either) and big plant suggests that. Stress it a bit. Like let it dry more between waterings.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Lack of fruit is not because of 2 stems. there must be oher reasons. I have an Esterina F2 with zillions of stems and they are all loaded. That was just an example.

On PP , I find it not very productive. My IS-PL is 5 times more productive . I won't grow PP again.
If I only grew tomatoes that produced like ISPL then it would be the only plant in my garden. I just planted a new bed this morning and included 2 PP and 2 ISPL since they are two of the best at setting in the heat. All the other varieties only got one spot and some are just experiments to see if they can do anything in the mid and late summer heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #15
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I am so happy to report that I just discovered 3 baby fruits on the PP. Also there is a suckers growing from bottom so I will leave it. Thank you all so much for the replies! I will keep updated on the progress.

I had to check, my PP seeds came from Tradewindsfruit.

Hopefully all the flowers will produce, I am very hopeful. You guys are wonderful, thanks again.