Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 15, 2017   #121
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The other thing is I am going to have to modify a canner by drilling and tapping a port for the thing.
I was going to ask "where/how do you set the thermocouple".

I'd like to see a pic too. I assume the canner walls/cover is thick enough to hold enough threads.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #122
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post

I'd like to see a pic too. I assume the canner walls/cover is thick enough to hold enough threads.
The All American canner is the same body and lid as the sterilizer.
The cover has bosses in it to accommodate things like this.
On phone at work now but will post boiler standards later as per threads in boiler walls.
The 1/8 pipe threads are I think 27 or 28 TPI.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 15, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #123
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

The lid is thick enough to handle the right amount of threads for even high pressure.
More than enough for stuff like 20 PSI
If not like the prestos thin lids you have a gasket and nut on the inside of the lid.
No worries about blowing out a fitting.
The thermocouple will be in the lid, a hole of the right size drilled and then threaded for the fitting.
Here is one like I would use, 0 to 1200F
Old August 15, 2017   #124
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I haven't received these yet but I think I will be liking them very much. I have been searching for years to find a canister set with the largest being able to hold 5 pounds of flour. I finally found it and have been looking at these for over one year, lol. Told hubby if I am going to do it I better before the price goes up where everyone else is on it.

I don't want plastic and there are a few out there which are plastic and are touted as very nice, and hold 5 pounds of flour. I wanted glass, ceramic or stainless steel. I found these stainless steel ones are what I need, and it's the same company that made the stock pot/steamer set I own. Tramontina is the brand. I currently use 1/2 gallon mason jars but you can't get a measuring cup in there bigger than 1/3 cup, and I cannot put my hand inside the canister very easily. These are the ticket I think.

There are so many reviews out there for the metal ones with many disappointed due to rusting, or easily chipped, or don't hold what they say they would. Air tight isn't really air tight. With this set I think I might have hit the jack pot.

Price wise I got it for the best price I could and free shipping to boot. BBB allowed a 20% off digital coupon to use for it so I saved $17.40 off the top price of $86.99 for an 8 piece set. Four canisters with airtight lids and four measuring scoops made with 18/10 stainless steel. These canisters go as high as $160 for the same set online. Oh and the shipping is free to boot. Final price with the 20% discount $69.59 before tax.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...=c&matchtype=e

As much as I bang my stockpot around I am positive these will be very good and worth every penny. Finally, it's been ten years since I had a decent canister set. I can't believe they charge so much for them.
Received my new canisters today and they are awesome. I washed and dried them and already put my goods in them. It's amazing the quality of them. I am positive I will be a happy camper with these.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #125
taboule
Tomatovillian™

got it, thanks Worth.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #126
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
got it, thanks Worth.
Your welcome.
I just think canning should get out of the stones age and into the 21st century.
So many things that aren't on the list of safe things to do and I think it is BS.
They also make a testing thing I cant remember what it is but it sits in the middle of the product and melts at a certain temperature.
Now if I were to make a strong threadable testing lid for a jar and insert a probe into it I could read temperature inside that jar.
From what I have read the people that do the testing at the national center for food safety just doesn't have the funding to do much of anything new.
Most information is from way back when.
I simply want to know the truth.
Worth
Old August 17, 2017   #127
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Your welcome.
I just think canning should get out of the stones age and into the 21st century.
So many things that aren't on the list of safe things to do and I think it is BS.
They also make a testing thing I cant remember what it is but it sits in the middle of the product and melts at a certain temperature.
Now if I were to make a strong threadable testing lid for a jar and insert a probe into it I could read temperature inside that jar.
From what I have read the people that do the testing at the national center for food safety just doesn't have the funding to do much of anything new.
Most information is from way back when.
I simply want to know the truth.
Worth
Amen to that, Worth! My son and I were just talking about that last night. He is halfway through engineering school and he was saying how simple it would be to test temperatures inside the jar. We've had the technology for a long time. I think you are right, it just isn't a priority for all those government agencies who are involved in food safety to help us grow and preserve our own food.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #128
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Amen to that, Worth! My son and I were just talking about that last night. He is halfway through engineering school and he was saying how simple it would be to test temperatures inside the jar. We've had the technology for a long time. I think you are right, it just isn't a priority for all those government agencies who are involved in food safety to help us grow and preserve our own food.
Yah. Can't see green giant, progresso, and whoever else makes canned veg lobbying for that research....
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #129
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Their excuse for not having instructions to canning cured meat is lame to put it politely.
Think about it, the meat is cured.
Worth
Old August 18, 2017   #130
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think they have guidelines for canning meat in pressure cooker.
It is just for raw meat, not cured. The requirement is about enough time for the temperature at the center to kill all the bacteria. It this takes 30 minutes, they instruct to continue fro an hour and half.
They have rigid guidelines with several 100% safety factor. They don't want to end up being sued.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2017   #131
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Warther knives. if you ever get to Ohio there is a museum in Dover called Warthers. the man had a 4th grade education and carved locomotives to scale. Awesome private museum to go see. to support the privately funded museum the family makes knives to this day and sells them. kitchen, hunting and carving knives. these are my go to knives everyday.

http://thewarthermuseum.com/
Old August 18, 2017   #132
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Warther knives. if you ever get to Ohio there is a museum in Dover called Warthers. the man had a 4th grade education and carved locomotives to scale. Awesome private museum to go see. to support the privately funded museum the family makes knives to this day and sells them. kitchen, hunting and carving knives. these are my go to knives everyday.

http://thewarthermuseum.com/
Wow, what a nice place and such great history to boot. I didn't see any knives in the shop though.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 18, 2017   #133
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Wow, what a nice place and such great history to boot. I didn't see any knives in the shop though.
http://warthercutlery.com/
Old August 18, 2017   #134
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That site could use some work. For one thing, they tell you very little about the knife. Type of steel? Sharpening angle? Handle material? These are basics.

Love the trains, though.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2017   #135
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post

Thanks for the link, it seems to be different than the website link for the trains.

~Margaret Atwood~