Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 14, 2017   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I would hang on to that and grow it out again next season. I bet it will retain the pear shape. It's interesting and unique and I think you should work with it yourself for a few seasons and see what it does.
very cool.
KarenO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Yes! And as stated, if you grow it out and it is stable and different from all others, then it is so phenomenally easy to name it yourself!!! Let's see what it does next year- I suggest that YOU grow it out, quite a few if possible.
Wow, to clarify, if I were to be shared seed with by ANYONE, I would not assume I get to name it. Period.

I asked because I have had a great interest in the pear shaped cherrys and thought it would be something fun to grow out with the other pears I will be growing next year.

Oaklley, I'll cancel my request, did not mean to offend anyone. Best of luck and good growing next year and that is a sincere wish.

I am tired of the fighting on here lately to the point of wishing everyone would just drop it, no matter who is "right" or "wrong" at this point because it hurts people and is a divisive factor in a hobby we all love. Since I can not control others but can control me, I think I will be taking a step back and away for awhile.

I don't have to watch a forum be torn by strife, nor watch train wrecks, or watch people hurt each other over something that is not life or death. And, no, I am NOT singling anyone person with this.

Best wishes, happy gardening and peace.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #17
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

As noted by others, tomato seeds are very tough! The easily make it through private and commercial composting, so if you every buy tomatoes or use bagged compost that might be another possible origin . . .
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #18
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

As noted by others, tomato seeds are very tough! The easily make it through private and commercial composting, so if you every buy tomatoes or use bagged compost that might be another possible origin . . .
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #19
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have no issues sharing seed. Because I initially though this might be an environmental
issue, poor soil, lack of attention, etc, I would not want to send out and trouble anyone
wasting garden space before watching the rest of this seasons fruit...I was away all of
July, now tending properly.

I've posted my dwarf project findings, and in a separate post of all my growing with
Dan Defollett seed. Grew all last Winter and just now pulling a few of those having
lasted so well for going on 9-10 months now. (and wow what a harvest).

In the deck pots I used 'Sun Gro SUN239203128CFLP Metro-Mix 900', vermiculite, and
a base 1-2inch of bark fines, (or something like that). No longer have the bag as I used
the rest for some bedding plants out front and a couple fruit trees needing mulch.

One thing, thinking back, in Feb we had a couple days in the 80's. (I'm looking at
pictures that are dated)...I spent most of those two days on the deck, potting up,
brought some plants out for some sun and general tending. I usually start my own saved
seed of my favorites early to test germination. Usually a full tray, aprox 20 varieties.

The 4 big herb pots lose soil when I pull out the basil, parsley etc, so I often use my
seeds starting (soilless mix), or potting up mix, to top those off. In Feb I was trialing
WonderSoil. Slight possibility, very slight, that one of my own saved seeds landed in
that pot. Or even last Fall, then over-wintered.

I had a bad habit for a couple years saving seed from great tasting toms and labeling
seeds 'prime heart', 'prime farm stand', 'prime pear'...etc. Only if I was not sure yet
usually know the variety by sight having grown them for years, AnnaRussian, etc.

I did not use any of those seeds last or this season.

Anyway, I did find this pick from June 28th.
Arrow points out the pear. Defollett's Winter grown left, RemyRouge Winter grown
right. Herbs in front, an AjiAmarillo, etc
Good pic of the leaf shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 7.27.12 AM.jpg (631.3 KB, 18 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2017   #20
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Wow, to clarify, if I were to be shared seed with by ANYONE, I would not assume I get to name it. Period.

I asked because I have had a great interest in the pear shaped cherrys and thought it would be something fun to grow out with the other pears I will be growing next year.

Oaklley, I'll cancel my request, did not mean to offend anyone. Best of luck and good growing next year and that is a sincere wish.

I am tired of the fighting on here lately to the point of wishing everyone would just drop it, no matter who is "right" or "wrong" at this point because it hurts people and is a divisive factor in a hobby we all love. Since I can not control others but can control me, I think I will be taking a step back and away for awhile.

I don't have to watch a forum be torn by strife, nor watch train wrecks, or watch people hurt each other over something that is not life or death. And, no, I am NOT singling anyone person with this.

Best wishes, happy gardening and peace.
Um, Karen and I were simply encouraging the original poster, Oakley, to give it a try and grow it out next year. Sorry if it caused confusion!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote