Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 10, 2018   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

The only place I can get beef trimmings around here is an old grocery store ( that still carries smoked hog jowls in its meat display case). They run the trimmings thru a course meat grinder, then freeze the beef/suet pellets and sell in a 3# bag.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just pulled the trigger on the small stainless steel 20 pound meat mixer from The Sausage Maker.
I have always wanted one so my hands dont freeze off and it is one of the reasons I dont make as much as a should.'
Burying your hands up in ice cold ground meat is a real kill joy to say the least.

Worth

https://www.sausagemaker.com/20-lb-S...-p/16-1210.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #18
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the small stainless steel 20 pound meat mixer from The Sausage Maker.
I have always wanted one so my hands dont freeze off and it is one of the reasons I dont make as much as a should.'
Burying your hands up in ice cold ground meat is a real kill joy to say the least.

Worth

https://www.sausagemaker.com/20-lb-S...-p/16-1210.htm
Nice! I can see where that would be pretty handy.
There's a small Italian sausage company that just went up for sale here, a very profitable business... The owner is retiring. Wish I was younger and had more money/credit, I'd buy it.
Old November 10, 2018   #19
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Got a 140-150# doe hanging tonight. Perfect weather to cure one out for a couple days. Shotgun season next weekend, but I would like another doe with my crossbow this week. Saw a buck, 2 does, a yearling, 12 wild turkey and a bizzilion squirrels tonight...it was a great evening.
Old November 10, 2018   #20
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!! Let the fun begin..
Old November 10, 2018   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Awesome!! Let the fun begin..
It already has!
Old November 11, 2018   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Please keep us up to date.
The reason I started on the salami thread I started now is because I was waiting on the weather.
There is no way I can do it with the heat all the flies, mosquitoes, spoilage and everything else.
Just last week or so I was battling mosquitoes in the garage.
I simply have to have cool weather for the drying process.
This coincidentally coincided with this thread.

Worth
Old November 12, 2018   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I should have looked better before starting the thread, I didn't intend on dueling sausage threads, sorry! Yes it's sausage making season, but I couldn't wait for sausage, broke down and made fresh sweet bacon wrapped venison tenderloins last night, they were good!
Old November 16, 2018   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

3 deer hanging, got my first non typical drop tine today and a yearling, I have one archery tag left.
Sausage coming soon...
Old November 17, 2018   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
3 deer hanging, got my first non typical drop tine today and a yearling, I have one archery tag left.
Sausage coming soon...
Now I cant help but think of a horse race announcer announcing a race with all the horses named after different sausages and salamis.
Worth
Old November 18, 2018   #26
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

That is a real big doe for around here, 140 lb. My 8 pt from last week was probably a 2-1/2 yo, 113 dressed, so maybe 145 live weight. I had sweet, lebanon, and scrapple made from most of him down at a mennonite butcher shop. They don't add pork for the bologna and it is fantastic. I was able to hang for 2 days with skin on and the loins and eye rounds were fantastic, probably the best buck I've had.

Let us know what you think of those mixes...can you even make salami without special humidity control?

I have some tags left and rifle opens next week, but I have almost nowhere to go with the meat here at the house, other than into quart jars. The hanging post has been very busy.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2018   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
That is a real big doe for around here, 140 lb. My 8 pt from last week was probably a 2-1/2 yo, 113 dressed, so maybe 145 live weight. I had sweet, lebanon, and scrapple made from most of him down at a mennonite butcher shop. They don't add pork for the bologna and it is fantastic. I was able to hang for 2 days with skin on and the loins and eye rounds were fantastic, probably the best buck I've had.

Let us know what you think of those mixes...can you even make salami without special humidity control?

I have some tags left and rifle opens next week, but I have almost nowhere to go with the meat here at the house, other than into quart jars. The hanging post has been very busy.
You don't need humidity control if you are not making dry raw salami.
As long as you are making cooked salami you can make it to your hearts desire.

Even then it doesn't have to be (( that)) controlled temperature and what you put in the meat is more important.
Rule of thumb it needs to dry but not too fast.
Too fast will put a crust on the outside and the moisture cant escape.

Last edited by Worth1; November 19, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old November 19, 2018   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One other thing.
I temperature that is too warm will cause the lacto ferment to run away and the product will be too sour and tangy.
A good salami will taste nutty.

Factories of cheap salami go as far as putting rice flour on the stuff to make it appear molded.
Old November 19, 2018   #29
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post

I got the crossbow doe all cut up and cleaned of "silver skin" yesterday, looks good... Made an oven full of jerky last night. The non typical drop tine buck is still hanging, he had 14 points and weighs over 200#'s, I'm going to let him hang another day. A friend that helps make brats is taking care of the yearling, along with his buck.

My eldest stepson built a humidity controlled drying cabinet out of a glass front refrigerator like you see in stores. He bought the temperature and humidity controls from The Sausage Maker, it works good.

The recipe for slim jims or hot sticks on the container calls for cold smoking at 80 degrees then slowly raising the heat. I need some type of smoker where I can hang the slim jims and control the heat. I have 2 Brinkman smokers one is horizontal the other is upright. I may drill holes in the upright smoker and install wooden doll rods to hang them from, not ideal but better trying to build a smokehouse this time of year.
Old November 20, 2018   #30
encore
Tomatovillian™

they make smoke generators, that pipe into the side of smokers ,which are good for cold smoking, also seen where you can make home made ones, just google it.---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote