Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2017   #2971
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting about Ginny. Any word from Kay? I never thought Jacksonville would get hit hard with a hurricane.

Our solar panels and support were ripped off the roof in the back of the house and went over to the front. Two of them are still hanging on the front entrance.

I was able to hire someone to bypass the solar system so water won't pour out onto the roof and possibly into the house. I have no idea what the roof is like now where the solar panels were attached, but my neighbors have said that no tiles were on the ground.

I have no idea the condition of the inside of the house; did water pour in? And since I'm still in Tennessee, I don't want to know until we get back.

Schools are still closed in the area; 18 don't have power and 19 don't have water.

On my street, power and even Cable/Internet are back up. The last I heard (Wed 9/13), there was no gas in the county.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017   #2972
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I have little baby seedlings popping up all over the place! Let tomato season begin.
Barb, I sowed 3 sun chocola,100% germination. Crynkovic Yugo. is up too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017   #2973
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I should be working on Hurricane Irma related issues but we spent late yesterday afternoon and early this morning getting our tomatoes transplanted for the fall.
In the process we had to clear part of one raised bed for indeterminate tomato plants. This RB was used for pepper plants and tomatoes in the Spring Garden. I have Murasaki Sweet Potato which I let grow volunteer in this bed. When the peppers and tomatoes were finished I let the Sweet Potato vines take over. On clearing 1/2 of the RB this morning we hand dug the sweet potatoes in the picture below. The largest tuber was 7.06 pounds. I never watered or fertilized them. Possibly they did better this year because of very wet summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweet Potatoes.jpg (60.3 KB, 63 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017   #2974
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I should be working on Hurricane Irma related issues but we spent late yesterday afternoon and early this morning getting our tomatoes transplanted for the fall.
In the process we had to clear part of one raised bed for indeterminate tomato plants. This RB was used for pepper plants and tomatoes in the Spring Garden. I have Murasaki Sweet Potato which I let grow volunteer in this bed. When the peppers and tomatoes were finished I let the Sweet Potato vines take over. On clearing 1/2 of the RB this morning we hand dug the sweet potatoes in the picture below. The largest tuber was 7.06 pounds. I never watered or fertilized them. Possibly they did better this year because of very wet summer.
Sweet dinner, my friend.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2017   #2975
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I have little baby seedlings popping up all over the place! Let tomato season begin.
Barb, I sowed 3 sun chocola,100% germination. Crynkovic Yugo. is up too.
Good to hear about SunChocola; I had 100% germ too along with SunPeach that I ended up buying. I bought about 15 seedlings here including the Suns which are the biggest of the bunch. I left a tray at home with my neighbor but she left them on her porch during the entire storm. DUHHHH - today she sent me pics, it is exactly how I expected getting beat down for 18+ hours.

Growing plants is so much different here; water about once per week. Not near the growth they would have had in the hot sun, which may be a good thing for the ride home.
Old September 15, 2017   #2976
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Larry, how long for them to form? I have an overgrown area covered with sweet potato vines.
Old September 16, 2017   #2977
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Update on Ginny. They were staying tonight at the friends place (near by they have power). Ginny still do not have water or power. She is texting that storm surge hit them hard.

Old September 16, 2017   #2978
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update on Ginny. That her that we are thinking about her and hope life gets back to normal soon.
Old September 16, 2017   #2979
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Thanks for the update on Ginny. That her that we are thinking about her and hope life gets back to normal soon.
I did. And I think about you too. And hope everything gets normal with you too. Hugs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.33.58 AM.png (67.8 KB, 53 views)

Old September 16, 2017   #2980
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, we need pictures of your seedlings!

Old September 16, 2017   #2981
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, texted to say thank you and that in comparison to the Keys they are fine, just wishes they had water to clean all the salt...

Old September 16, 2017   #2982
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Irma did do quiet a number here in Jacksonville. I was lucky to only loose power for two days. Some people don't have it yet due to the flooding. I have a lot of roof shingle damage and part of my wood privacy fence was knocked down. I still have not heard from the insurance adjuster and roofers are not answering phones, you just to leave a message. My internet was down for 6 days and just came back so I am trying to catch up on how all of your are doing.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017   #2983
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Glad you are OK, Kay.
Old September 17, 2017   #2984
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry, how long for them to form? I have an overgrown area covered with sweet potato vines.
I’m guessing that the sweat potato vines started to aggressively spread into the side of the bed, that I harvested, about 3 months ago. As I’m sure you know they die back when it gets quite cold but bounce right back when the weather warms up. I just don’t give them much space until it is hot and others vegetables are doing poorly. If I let them they will grow out of the bed and keep going. Very aggressive, they are.

Last edited by Zone9b; September 17, 2017 at 04:12 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #2985
elight
Tomatovillian™

Finally recovered from Irma here in Central Florida. I'm fortunate that I didn't receive major damage although repairs to my fence and pool screen will set me back a bit of money.

My eight plants in containers that I moved either inside or against a wall are all looking good (minus the usual leafminer and disease damage), but the lean and lower plants in the raised bed didn't fare well. Half got ripped out and the rest were battered. Only 3 or 4 of 12 have a chance of surviving, and the chances are low. I bought two transplants at the big box store yesterday as replacements (will go in pots). Too late to start new seeds but not too late to transplant.

Yet another reason to favor growing in pots here in Florida.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote