Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 23, 2006   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I found it here it is,you guys have to check this out.
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/l...aPretahome.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2006   #17
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzarbazzar
Profile: Telone® C-35 soil fungicide and nematicide controls all major species of nematodes, including root knot, lesion, stubby root, dagger, ring, pin and cyst nematodes. -----
Any idea where I can buy this?

I looked everywhere.
Thanks.
dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2006   #18
honu
Tomatovillian™

dcarch, Have you had your soil analyzed? Try contacting your university or coop extension for testing info before buying all those products.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2006   #19
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu
dcarch, Have you had your soil analyzed? Try contacting your university or coop extension for testing info before buying all those products.
Can they test for fungus? I have been thinking about having it done.

I use lots and lots of kitchen scrap in addition to leaf compost in the soil. Most likely compost temperature has not been high enough to sanitize the soil.

dcarch
Old October 11, 2006   #20
Suze
Tomatovillian™

D., try and diagnose what the problem was (is) before going any further in regards to doing/adding anything to the soil. I would recommend that you look through the Tomato Problem Solver and compare pics/descriptions to the problem you have (had?).

Odds are that it's fungal, probably either early blight or septoria. Hard to tell from those pics -- have any close up shots?

If so, not really much point in trying to treat the soil. even if you were to go to all that effort and even be successful, all it would take for recontamination would be for the wind or rain droplets to carry fungal spores back into the area (probable).

Just mulch well to limit/prevent splashback of fungal spores onto the plants. The plants are *not* going to systemically take the fungus up though the roots of the plants via the soil.

If fungal, Daconil would also be helpful (mainly as a preventative) for next year.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2006   #21
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze. It's my right as a newbie to try all sorts of silly things .

I did buy this to try out in a small area next year.:
TERRACLOR 75%WP Vegetable, Turf & Ornamental Soil Fungicide in a 5 pound bag! This package has a complete directions for use. The Active Ingredient is Pentachloronitrobenzine, (PCNB) 75%.
I also bought Daconil for next year.

Today, I received a few large pieces of 6mm poly panels, which I will use to put on top of my raised beds and use solar heat to cook the soil.

dcarch
Old October 11, 2006   #22
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Can they test for fungus? I have been thinking about having it done.
dcarch,
yes, they can. Our university plant pathology lab can also culture what's on the plant tissue if you bring in a sample in addition to the soil, but you'd need to give them a fresh sample.
It's best to consult with them, as they should have local area knowledge, can recommend which tests to do based on your problem description, and recommend treatment and products based on test results. It may or may not be soil related. Insect vectors can also spread viruses that can cause sudden devastating wilts.

Agree w/ Suze on the benefits of mulching for soil borne diseases.
Have you considered growing in pots only?
I had pretty good results (if not for the spidermites) in 15 gal.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2006   #23
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

[quote="honu"]
Quote:
------------- Have you considered growing in pots only?
I had pretty good results (if not for the spidermites) in 15 gal.
I have a "no-stakes" staking system which works well for me. so far I am growing toms in pots for indoors only.

dcarch
Old October 19, 2006   #24
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Maybe this was the cause?

Septoria:

Quote:
Symptoms:
Numerous, small, watersoaked spots, which are the first noticeable characteristic of Septoria leaf spot, appear on the lower leaves after fruit set. Spots enlarge to a uniform size of approximately 1/16 to 1/4 inch in diameter. They have dark brown borders and tan or light colored centers. Yellow haloes often surround the spots. Severely infected leaves die and drop off. Septoria leaf spot is easily distinguished from early blight, another foliar disease of tomato, by the uniform, small size of the spots and the lack of concentric rings in the spots; however, Septoria leaf spot is sometimes confused with bacterial spot of tomato. The presence of fruiting bodies of the fungus, visible as tiny black specks in the centers of the spots, confirms Septoria leaf spot.

Favorable weather permits infection to move up the stem, causing a progressive loss of foliage from the bottom of the plant upward. Plants appear to wither from the bottom up. Loss of foliage causes a decrease in the size of the fruits and exposes fruit to sunscald. Spotting of the stem and blossoms may also occur.
Septoria Leaf Spot of Tomato

Septoria lycopersici

Septoria Leaf Spot of Tomato
Quote:
Septoria leaf spot can infect leaves, stems, petioles, and the fruit calyx, but rarely infects the fruit itself.
Septoria

Cornell News Article:

The Long List of Diseases Affecting Tomatoes and Peppers in a Wet Growing Season -- CLICK HERE to read the article. This article is available only as a PDF file.
Old October 20, 2006   #25
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace
Maybe this was the cause?

---------Spotting of the stem and blossoms may also occur.------------
Looks like you came to my place and took some pictures. The interesting thing was how fast it happened. In a matter of 4 or 5 days everything wilted.

Thanks for the links.

dcarch
Old October 20, 2006   #26
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Could Worths find re carbon in the soil (link above), be connected with Micheals report (General Disscusions) re waste paper in potting soil. Waste paper has a high carbon content if my memory (beer soaked at the moment) treats me right.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote