Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 28, 2006   #1
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Default Bacterial Wilt

Ugh - had to pull a beautifully promising Evergreen with a dozen baby tomatoes. Two days ago when I came from work the whole plant had wilted (no lesions on the leaves - it looked like a poster child for bacterial wilt and matched the pictures I found online to a "T". Watering (plus heavy rain/thunderstorm thrown in) did not restore it. In 12 years of growing tomatoes I've never had anything like that. This year in NYC Zone 6 we have had tropical-like weather very early; heavy rains/heat, humidity, thunderstorms pretty often. I read that tropical conditions can unleash this deadly disease. I am hoping that none of the other plants get it. This one was at the end of a row.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I am in Z6, NY also.

I planted 4 Green Zebras, one turn out to be a fake.
The Zebras had done very well after I had to deal with many BERs. Just as I was looking forward to lots and lots of juicy fruits, the past few days all three started to wilt!!! .
I am going to be frying, pickling all these green Green Zs.

The fake Zebra, on the other hand is going gangbusters. It looks like it will give me many 1 lb+ red fruits. The only problem is that I don’t know what variety it is so I can’t plant it next year.

I hope you have other plants.
Good luck Z6.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote