Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 19, 2013   #1
llerisa
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes In Earth Box

I am growing all of my garden this year in the self watering containers like the Earth Box. I found the same thing at Lowes and Home Depot for only $30.00. It is not called Earth Box. Everything is growing great. NO weeds and I only have to water about every 3 days. They hold 2 gallons of water. No over or under watering. If you go online at Lowes or Home Depot and type in raised garden containers you will be able to see if your store carries this. My Uncle has grown his garden this way for the past 3 years. Okra, corn, tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers and much more. I have 6 cucumber plants to one container, 8 okra plants to one container, 2 tomato plants to one container and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2632.jpg (421.3 KB, 98 views)
llerisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by llerisa View Post
I am growing all of my garden this year in the self watering containers like the Earth Box. I found the same thing at Lowes and Home Depot for only $30.00. It is not called Earth Box. Everything is growing great. NO weeds and I only have to water about every 3 days. They hold 2 gallons of water. No over or under watering. If you go online at Lowes or Home Depot and type in raised garden containers you will be able to see if your store carries this. My Uncle has grown his garden this way for the past 3 years. Okra, corn, tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers and much more. I have 6 cucumber plants to one container, 8 okra plants to one container, 2 tomato plants to one container and so on.
Didn't see this post before. I have 27 SIPs. They aren't idiot proof, but they are idiot resistant!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #3
peppero
Tomatovillian™

welcome to t'ville and congratulations on your first post. enjoy.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to TV from the coastal bend. I grow in Earthboxes, self watering containers we built and I have now dabbled in square foot gardening. Glad you are enjoying your new garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Welcome. I find the Earthbox brand box to be FAR superior to the Lowes/Home Depot knock off, which, btw, is also smaller, holds less planting mix and water. From a cost stand point, you can buy real EBs for not much more and often with deals on shipping toward the end of summer. EB also has promotions thru-out the year.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

You can also get a good deal on EarthBoxes at ozbo.com. Flat shipping of $4.95 for everything including heavy bags of fertilizers.

http://ozbo.com/EarthBox-Terracotta-...l#.UZ-d3tiDYtc

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

LOL thanks Ray. I was thinking of OZBO but failed to name them!
Old May 25, 2013   #8
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I learned about Earthboxes a few years ago thanks to Ray. I've had such great success using them that I now exclusively grow my tomatoes and peppers in them.

That Ozbo link is a good price. It's a good thing they're out of stock or I might have bought a couple more.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Look for deals on Earthboxes at both Ozbo and Amazon later in the summer.
Old November 23, 2013   #10
Cincinnati
Tomatovillian™

I have gardened in EBs for three years, spring and fall crops of tomatoes in 13 boxes. Each season I have battled cracked tomatoes. I have planted a variety of heirloom and hybrid cultivars. I am experimenting with letting the box go dry before topping off with water. I have varied the potting mix hoping to get a more porous mix that wouldn't wick as much water. I'm considering adding 20% large grade vermiculite to accomplish this.

Have any of you had cracking issues?.how did you resolve them?

Last edited by Cincinnati; November 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Cincinnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2013   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I would think cracking of the fruit would be a rare occurrence in SWT's as there is always moisture available to the plant unless the reservoir is allowed to empty. Are you covering the top of the aggregate with plastic mulch and if so what color?

What type of fertilizer regimen are you using. Just the fertilizer strip on top of the aggregate or are you giving the plants supplemental ferts during the course of the season?