Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 19, 2013   #16
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The meat (beef , chicken, etc.) cooks in the water with radical vegetables (carrots, parsleys, celeries).
We add leaf celery or parsley after the cooking mostly until on the plate.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #17
EarthGrownGreens
Tomatovillian™

Are they cold tolerant as I see mention of large growing fields in Oswego and also in Canada? I am located in Zone 5 and have started under lights about 100 plants that are now in a gutter house. It is the first time growing celery and don't want to kill it but would like to get it into the outdoor garden.
EarthGrownGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #18
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The meat (beef , chicken, etc.) cooks in the water with radical vegetables (carrots, parsleys, celeries).
We add leaf celery or parsley after the cooking mostly until on the plate.
You have just solved a mystery for me--I wondered why my husband was saying parsley and I was showing him green fluffy kind and he meant the root. Thank you, very much!

p.s. He's a wonderful cook.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #19
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Sunsi et al. Celery likes a "muck pit" to grow in. If you can picture what that might be. However it must drain, because standing water will kill it. It has been said to water it all you can, and then water it some more. The challenge is the drainage, but double digging the bed will properly prepare it, with lots and lots of organic material to produce the muck. Then for it to reach it's genetic potential comes the water. There are celery fanatics and the difference is like the person who grows a tomatoe plant in his back yard with no care, versus one who gives them everything they might need. It is easy to grow at one level, but you can put as much into it as you might like.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Sunsi,

I was refering to the area south and east of Oswego called the "mucklands". These were ancient swamps from a glacier period which were ideal for growing celery.

You will enjoy the aroma of the celery growing, as much as consuming it!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #21
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I think celery is also a vegetable that is hit with a lot of pesticides, making it another good reason to grow your own.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #22
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I think celery is also a vegetable that is hit with a lot of pesticides, making it another good reason to grow your own.
Store bought celery, peppers and strawberries are the worst for commercial pesticide residue.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #23
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
This is my first year growing celery, but surprisingly, it has turned out to be less difficult than I was expecting. I started mine in a soda bottle self watering container in February. I think 4 plants grew, though I planted a lot more seed. I moved the seedlings further apart(but in the same container) when they were 2-3 inches high. In April, after our last frost date, I planted them in the garden. They are in a shady, wetter part of the garden, it only gets morning sun. They are doing great. I planted more seed in March probably in a second bottle, as a project for my daughter, and tons sprouted. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to thin them a little by plucking some up(not too gently), and shoving them into the wet dirt(muddy) near the other celery. They too are doing fine. I use soaker hoses for watering, and had worked in manure to the soil in January or February. I think the key for sprouting is to keep the seeds from drying out. The first time, I planted heavily, and only got 4 plants. The second time, I planted heavily, but then covered the top with saran wrap until most sprouted. I think that made a huge difference. I have heard of people planting them out, then putting a board over them to keep them moist until they sprout.

I started my Utah Celery in DE in egg cartons. I broadcast the seeds because it is so tiny, many came up. That was in late March or early April and just last night decided to up pot about 16 - 18 of them. They are so 'cute'! Think I'll keep them under lights for about 2 more weeks and then transplant them to a low area in the raised bed at the garden where I volunteer. Of course I had to have a tiny taste of one of the leaves a few weeks ago. Yummy.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed that I have four lovely little celery plants growing in the area that I grew last year. They are volunteers. Now I don't have to feel sad that I forgot to plant it!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It says, that radical cellery is very good for men. I didn´t test it .
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #26
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Very busy getting the raised beds ready--we had two hail storms yesterday and my seedlings took a beating. The first storm I couldn't go out and save them so I just waited it out and then went out to assess the damage--not too bad. So I thought what are the chances this would happen again and decided to leave them all out there. Then a few hours later the same thing the hail wasn't as big as the first time but more damage than the first storm, broken stems. I planted so many seedlings that even this loss won't be traumatic.

The good news is that I have found celery seedlings! They are a no-name variety purchased from Ontario Orchards near where I live but next year I can start varieties that you all have mentioned here. The seedlings are about 5-6 inches high so I have a pretty good start already.

Masbustelo
Quote:
Sunsi et al. Celery likes a "muck pit" to grow in. If you can picture what that might be. However it must drain, because standing water will kill it. It has been said to water it all you can, and then water it some more. The challenge is the drainage, but double digging the bed will properly prepare it, with lots and lots of organic material to produce the muck. Then for it to reach it's genetic potential comes the water. There are celery fanatics and the difference is like the person who grows a tomatoe plant in his back yard with no care, versus one who gives them everything they might need. It is easy to grow at one level, but you can put as much into it as you might like.
I have part of a raised bed that I'm preparing now and it has good drainage. I purchased some real good compost to incorporate into the soil so I feel that these celery plants I just bought will have as close to what you describe as possible. Celery fanatics UNITE!

rnewste
Quote:
Sunsi,

I was refering to the area south and east of Oswego called the "mucklands". These were ancient swamps from a glacier period which were ideal for growing celery.

You will enjoy the aroma of the celery growing, as much as consuming it!

Raybo

I think this area is very near to Ontario Orchards nursery where I buy a lot of my gardening stuff. The fields are located lower than the rest of the terrain and the dirt is totally black. I never was sure what they grew there--thanks, for telling me Raybo.

Tracydr
Quote:
rnewste
Quote:
Store bought celery, peppers and strawberries are the worst for commercial pesticide residue.

Raybo
Fortunately, I grow all three although I would like to expand my strawberry patch, never enough strawberries.

zeroma
Quote:
I started my Utah Celery in DE in egg cartons. I broadcast the seeds because it is so tiny, many came up. That was in late March or early April and just last night decided to up pot about 16 - 18 of them. They are so 'cute'! Think I'll keep them under lights for about 2 more weeks and then transplant them to a low area in the raised bed at the garden where I volunteer. Of course I had to have a tiny taste of one of the leaves a few weeks ago. Yummy
Great idea, zeroma, egg cartons would be very handy. I think the benefit of grow lights would make them stronger plants too. I hope you have a wonderful harvest of these celery plants that you have babied along--I'm convinced it's one of the best vegetables to grow after reading everyones posts.

Tracydr
Quote:
I just noticed that I have four lovely little celery plants growing in the area that I grew last year. They are volunteers. Now I don't have to feel sad that I forgot to plant it!
haha, that hurts! I doubt us northern gardens would ever have celery self-seed. Enjoy your wonderful bounty from nature!

MrBig46
Quote:
It says, that radical cellery is very good for men. I didn´t test it .

Vladimír

Another reason to grow it.....
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #27
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to see someone with good looking celery. Celery does need to be started early. When I set mine out in the garden this year, they were small and the first plants to get eaten. I've since taken a more defensive approach to my seedlings. I want them bigger and better protected with DE when I set them out. I don't see much of a down side setting out larger plants, can you think of any?

It's war on slugs at my place this year. I tried using beer but it didn't work until I fed it to the slugs!
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #28
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

Celery is definitely a heavy feeder, it would love more manure and compost tea. You can plant it too early and have it go to seed, there is no big rush to set it out. It will keep growing until frost. It won't bolt with heat, it produces seed the second year.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #29
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

Will it die after it blooms and goes to seed? I have some cutting celery in it's second year that's blooming now. I've never grown it before and don't know what to expect. Is it a biennial like parsley?
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote