Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 6, 2008   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default Tabletop greenhouse uses?

Tabletop greenhouse: http://www.target.com/Early-Start-Gr.../dp/B000AMNTCY

What would these tabletop type greenhouse be used for?

Could I start tomato seeds in them?

What are some of the issues in using them?

Note: I do own one.

thanks,

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2008   #2
Doris
Tomatovillian™

I have a tabletop greenhouse similar to this one. I keep it in front of southern exposure windows in my enclosed unheated back porch.

Haven't started any seeds out there as seeds need some warmth to germinate. I start the seeds in the house under a light and as soon as they are big enough to be transplanted, they move out into the greenhouse on the porch.

Weather permitting, the porch windows get opened, the greenhouse gets opened gradually, and it works fine. Then when the seedlings get bigger and the weather is getting nicer, I put the whole bunch, greenhouse and seedlings, out into the back yard and do keep my eye on the sun and wind while the greenhouse is open.

I have found it very useful. Hope you do too.

.................Doris, NJ
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2008   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I have one similar to that one at Target, its in my breezeway by the south facing window. I have three seedling heating mats in there...I call it my incubator. I start ALL of my tomato, pepper, and herb seeds in flats covered with clear lids (like the seed starting kits you can buy). Once they sprout, I transfer them to my grow table and lights. My waife puts her kaffir lime trees in there in the fall and winter without the heat mats...keeps them nice and toasty.