Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 18, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default MythBusters Challenge - Tap Water vs. Filtered for Tomatoes

In my search for a filtration system that can filter out chlorine, chloramine, and other heavy metals from our Municipal Water system to feed my automated watering system for the EarthTainers, I have researched various filtration mediums and their effectiveness. Turns out that the optimal filter is made up of a combination of Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) and a KDF combo.

The KDF technology combines a copper / zinc formulation into a "redox" system for removal of heavy metals, chlorine, VOCs and other undesirable elements. Here is a blurb on the KDF site:

"We can explain redox like this: KDF Fluid Treatment’s unique combination of copper and zinc creates an electro-chemical reaction. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new elements are created. Some harmful contaminants are changed into harmless components. Free chlorine, for instance, is changed into benign, water-soluble chloride, which is then carried harmlessly through the water supply. Similarly, some heavy metals such as copper, lead, mercury and others, react to plate out onto the medium’s surface, thus being effectively removed from the water supply. KDF water treatment filter media extend the life of granular activated carbon (GAC) while protecting the carbon bed against fouling by bacterial growth."

http://www.kdfft.com/index.htm

The only KDF / GAC in-line filter I could find is made by Watts and costs about $24.00 on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-FP10GKT-...0505468&sr=8-1

I had originally purchased the Camco RV filter:

However, it uses a relatively large 100 micron screen which will not remove the heavy metals nor VOCs, as the Watts filter will:

As I already had it installed, I decided to daisy-chain the two filters together with the Camco upstream to filter out the big stuff, then it flows through the 5 micron screen Watts filter.

So it will be interesting to compare plant health, salts buildup in the water reservoir, fruit production and taste from last Season, to results this year with the new filtration system.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #2
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We can explain redox like this: KDF Fluid Treatment’s unique combination of copper and zinc creates an electro-chemical reaction. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new elements are created.
At the very least their description is pretty garbled.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

llc,

My interpretation is that "active" elements are mostly converted into inert compounds through their redox process.

Ironic that through the filtration system, the tomato plants will have better quality water than I currently drink inside the house.

Raybo
Old March 20, 2011   #4
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Can you post info on your water quality report from your water district?

I requested and received a copy of the water quality report and found chlorine is used. I live in a basin and have hard water (sourced from an aquifer about a 1/2 mile away leading from the nearby mountain range), so at least I know I have a source of minerals which would have been filtered out if I use a device like above. I do have half of the maximum contaminate level of Nitrate (as No3).

Chlorine dissipates in a few hours so I figure if I leave water out to sit before I use it, I won't be killing off my microbes.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is the direct link to view the Reports. Click on the Jan 2011 tab and you can download the document and open it in .pdf form.

http://www.valleywater.org/services/...tyReports.aspx

Also, on the site it describes the Santa Clara Valley Water System's use of Chloramine, and protections you need to take for Dialysis and for aquarium owners. This is one of the reasons I am attempting to remove it for my tomatoes.

""" Home > Services > Clean Reliable Water > Drinking Water Quality > How We Clean Your Water > Disinfecting Water with Chloramine

Disinfecting Water with Chloramine

To disinfect much of Santa Clara County's drinking water supply, the Santa Clara Valley Water District – like most water management agencies in the nation – uses a chemical compound known as chloramine.
Chloramine, a combination of chlorine and ammonia, is used effectively to prevent waterborne diseases.
The water district operates three water treatment plants that clean and purify water imported from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta or captured in one of our 10 reservoirs. The three plants can produce as many as 220 million gallons of water a day.
In order to reduce the growth of microorganisms or harmful bacteria, the district has been adding chloramine to the water supply since 1983.

Chloramine, when compared to chlorine, forms a significantly lower amount of “disinfection byproducts” such as trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs). Another disinfection byproduct, NDMA, has been detected on several occasions, but below the health advisory level established by the California Department of Health Services.

Chloraminated water is safe for drinking, bathing, cooking and all other daily uses. Chloramine doesn’t change the taste, smell or appearance of water.

Certain water users with sensitivities to chemicals may need to continue to take precautionary measures.

Dialysis patients: Chloramine, like any other chemical, must be removed from water prior to dialysis treatment. Medical centers that perform dialysis are responsible for purifying water that enters machines. People with home dialysis machines should consult their physician. Often, home dialysis service companies can make modifications if necessary. Dialysis patients may want to consult with the Trans Pacific Renal Network at (415) 472-8590 or visit its Web site at www.network17.org for more information.

Aquariums: Chloramine is toxic to both fresh- and salt-water fish, so it must be removed from water used in aquariums and fish ponds. That can be easily done by purchasing a dechlorinating chemical found at most pet supply stores."""

Hopefully, the dual filter system I've now set up will go a long way to remove not only Chloramine, but other heavy metals and VOCs as well.

Raybo
Old March 21, 2011   #6
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Hopefully, the dual filter system I've now set up will go a long way to remove not only Chloramine, but other heavy metals and VOCs as well.

Raybo
On heavy metals, that would be lead and mercury, which the report shows none detected on that report, on the output columns. VOCs, there shouldn't be any in your tap water, if you had them and proved it, your water district would have a problem. The nitrate is barely more than detectable, and amounts to the tiniest of traces, could be much higher, and be undrinkable, and still wouldn't be enough to positively affect your plants, much less harm them. Haloacetic Acids are present, up to 21% of the allowable level but they can be removed, even 66% removal using a pitcher filter. THMs are as much as 58% of max, most filters remove those too, or even just storage in an open container for a day. The chloride in the water is around 20% of the aesthetic max, and most of that is from the source water, not added in treatment. Sulfate is less than 10% of the standard, dissolved solids around half.

I'm not sure what you are trying to remove besides the chloramine, that is even present in the water.
For hydroponics, and for water that's being used directly for mixing beneficial organisms, I can understand filtering, or if there was contamination of the water source, but when the chloramine hits dirt or soil, the chlorine in it quickly reacts with the particles in the soil, the amine is released, giving an infinitesimally small nitrogen boost in that top fraction of an inch of soil.
For disease control, as when newcastle disease was going around killing poultry, instructions were to spray equipment buildings etc with a certain solution of chlorine bleach, but it was pointless to spray the soil, because 1. the soil destroyed the effectiveness of the bleach instantly and 2. the virus couldn't survive in the soil, the other organisms in the soil basically ate it.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Kevin,

Thanks for the detailed analysis. 95% of my goal is to filter out the "artificial" additives like Chloramine that the Municipal Water Company adds in at the treatment plant. In Silicon Valley, due to the years of Semiconductor manufacturing over the past 40 years, there is a lingering concern about heavy metals and Chromium-6 residuals in the groundwater.

So if the Watts KDF /GAC filter is even partially effective in removing trace elements of heavy metals and VOCs if present, then I am a Happy Camper!!

Raybo
Old March 21, 2011   #8
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Total chromium is undetectable in the water report, it may not even be groundwater.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #9
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

So ray how close to RO is your water? Whats the EC/TDS?
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #10
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I look forward to seeing the results of this test.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I realize this is an old thread, but i am in the process of building earthtainers (and inntainers)and have chlorine via muni water. So chlorine is on my seemingly ever growing list of items to address.

Apparently Vitamin C filters use a tube of pure ascorbic acid to neutralize chlorine and chloramines. They do it very well (remove 99%), but keep in mind that they only filter those two chemicals, nothing else.

Found this review for a shower filter here -
http://www.reactual.com/home-and-gar...ters-2011.html

and a cheaper pet version with hose connections.
http://www.neutra-c.com/product_p/nc1002p.htm
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

In retrospect, I should have hooked up the watering system where half of the EarthTainers were fed from the filtered water system, and half were on non-filtered tap water. That way I could have made a more specific assessment on the benefits (if any) of using the filtered water.

As I didn't observe any significant differences (from memory) of the plants the prior year, I have to conclude that the Chloramine used in our local water system here does not have a negative impact on tomato plant growth and health. As I spent about $50.00 on the gear for the 3-stage filtering, I conclude it is not worth the added expense.

Myth: "Busted"

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; January 4, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old January 4, 2012   #13
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

My evaluation was not at all scientific, but I reached the same conclusion. Thanks, Raybo, for letting us know.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #14
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray.

Did you perceive any issues with flow rate?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you are using the EarthBox AWS watering system, then you will not have a flow rate issue with water filtration. The AWS is a "low-flow" type of system.

Raybo