Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 12, 2010   #31
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Mischka I looked into CO2 generators a bit and will add here some of what I found on them.

CO2 Generators Explained
By Zach Waldman

Indoor gardeners wanting to supplement their grow rooms with CO2 should consider using a generator instead of bottles as it is much cheaper. Generators burn a pure blue flame and the by-product is CO2.

To begin, if you're considering using CO2 in your grow room and you're running fluorescent lights, don't bother. In order to benefit from the extra CO2, you must be using high intensity discharge lights that are at least 400w.

A propane or natural gas CO2 generator is the most cost effective way to add CO2 to your environment. However, heat and water are given off as a result of combustion. This means if you're in a warm climate that a generator probably won't work for you as they give off too much heat and humidity.

Typically, generators use an enclosed pilot light like a gas stove. However, they can also use an electronic ignition with no standing pilot light. An example of this is the MiniGen which is a propane fueled CO2 generator.

Speaking of propane, CO2 can be generated by burning any fossil fuel such as kerosene or natural gas. Be aware if you're using kerosene to use a high grade (1-K). Low grades of kerosene contain too much sulfur which can result in sulfur dioxide pollution. Furthermore, because kerosene generators require electrodes, pumps, and filters, the cost of using them is higher. As a result, most growers prefer to use propane or natural gas.

Although the initial cost of purchasing a CO2 generator is higher than a bottle set-up, the operating cost is about four times less expensive. As a result, you're better off saving your money until you can make the investment.

Keep in mind, when using a generator the exhausted gas will be hot. Despite CO2 being heavier than air, since it will be hot it will be less dense, causing it to actually rise in your grow room. In order for your plants to benefit from all of this CO2, you'll need good air circulation to move it through your garden.

Another reason you need a good ventilation system is because oxygen is being burned. As it becomes deficient, the pure blue flame releasing CO2 starts to yellow. The yellow flame is a sign of unburned gas which creates carbon monoxide. By replacing your grow room's air regularly, you'll avoid this problem.

Don't let my warnings make you nervous. CO2 generators like the LP GEN-1 have lots of safety features such as dual stage pilot safety valves. These valves confirm the presence of the pilot flame before allowing gas to flow to the main burners. There's also a tip-over shut down switch which turns off the main burners if the unit is tilted more than 35 degrees. Not only that, you can also find water-cooled generators (MiniGen), so even if you're in a warm climate you may be able to use one.

There's no doubt that adding CO2 to your grow room will result in fast growth. If you decide to take the plunge and set up a system, take a good look at using a generator as opposed to bottles. You'll save money and see great results.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Zach_Waldman

I have a vent-less natural gas fireplace so it does raise the CO2 levels in my home a bit. From what I can tell though and as the article explains most people will not see much benefit using one for some scale indoor growing.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2010   #32
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Well, one down - - - 5 more to go.

Japanese Black Trifele on the left; Goose Creek on the right.

Loaded up with wet Potting Mix, the suckers weigh 70 pounds. Hauling it up the stairs to the second floor bedroom was a chore. Fully loaded with another 4 gallons of water in the reservoir will bring the InnTainer total "working" weight to approx. 100 pounds.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010   #33
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray

Don't forget to play classical music for the plants ....you want great tasting maters don't ya?

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010   #34
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Ray

Don't forget to play classical music for the plants ....you want great tasting maters don't ya?

George
Hey George,

I actually am going to give them some Funk with: Earth, Wind and Fire.

Finished building all 6 InnTainers today, and planted #2 of the six with an Indian Stripe and Pink Boar, and hauled it upstairs to put on the grow rack. All of the step-by-step photography is now done, so over the Christmas vacation, I intend to write the Construction Guide.

Raybo
Old December 13, 2010   #35
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Its amazing how music really energizes the plants and you should see some smoking growth on those Indian Stripe plants just wack them every other day to stimulate a brisk wind storm. The stems will thicken up nicely.

George
Old December 13, 2010   #36
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

George,

I've got a Sunfire TrueSub that is rated at 2700 Watts, and frequency response down to 20 Hz.

The room really shakes with a good sound track. I'll bet it would actually set up a resonance that would self-pollinate the tomato blossoms.

Raybo
Old December 14, 2010   #37
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray

I'm afraid that your dear lovely wife might self polllinate you to the outside garden if you turn that sub woofer up to rock the house levels trying to pollinate those plants.

so check this out

http://greenculturesg.com/articles/m..._feature_2.htm

and review this

http://pollinator.com/self_pollinating_tomato.htm

Gotta get some shut eye

George
Old December 14, 2010   #38
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

You Ray I like your set up.
But I do have a few ideas for you.
First off to get full potential from a 400w HPS, it needs to be about 12 inches from the canopy. Looking at your pic it will need to come down about a foot. You'll need to get some light yo-yos or some rope ratchets so you can raise/lower your lights. Don’t use chains they are a big hassle, plus they add hella weight.
And second you need an oscillating fan to keep the air moving.
One question Ray, do you plan on flowering them inside or when spring comes around will you throw them outside?
If you plan on doing everything inside, you'll need more plant growing space. You might have to take your containers off throes racks and put them on the growing. Also a 400w doesn't enough light penetration to grow a full size plant. A 400w HPS has 80cm(31.5 inches) of light penetration. I don’t think your growing Patios, so I’m sure they'll be bigger than 2 feet.
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2010   #39
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Guys,

Some really good inputs. Thanks!

I don't want to hijack Stephen's Thread here, so I'll start a new one regarding the InnTainer later tonight or tomorrow.

Raybo