Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2019   #46
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

My favourites are

Pink Ponderosa
OR 117
Sweet Ozark Orange
George Detsikas
Canestrino

Last year I really liked Hillbilly, but I would have to test it again to include it in the top five. Tasmanian Chocolate was also remarkable
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #47
PlainJane

Not familiar with George Detsikas ... looks interesting from the pictures and descriptions.
Did you use it for sauce or fresh eating?
Old January 15, 2019   #48
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

You should make suggestions, Carolyn, because my list contains a number that you recommended. To my tastebuds, fending on the year, the best tasting to me incude Esther’s Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine Sudfuth, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Purple Heart, and Girl girl’s weird thing. I am sure there are others but those come to mind fist, followed by numerous hearts.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #49
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Not familiar with George Detsikas ... looks interesting from the pictures and descriptions.
Did you use it for sauce or fresh eating?
I don't dare using it for sauce (although I'm sure it would taste great). I eat it fresh and I could eat it just about every day. I strongly reccomend it.
Old January 16, 2019   #50
charley
Tomatovillian™

in order cowlicks brandywine,brimmer,margarets curtian,orange russian 117
Old January 16, 2019   #51
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Brimmer was not on my radar, good to know. I like sweet. I wait and watch all summer for the Brandywine posse (any) to fully ripen towards the end of the season, and that's the cherry on top for me.

Along on the ride... many already mentioned above

Esternia F1 ( I hosted a garden club meeting in the park, and brought two big bowls perfectly ripe. The ladies were running to their car to find tissues and clothing to take fistfuls of leftovers home in ... and these are long time gardeners and farmers)

Kosovo
SOTW
Ludimella's Pink Heart (so excited about Karen's line)
Cuor di Bue
Lucky Cross

Budoin ( a garden club member requests this every year for tomato juice)
placeholder for one recommended by tormato - will up date when it comes to me
Most blacks and PBTD are high on my list, but taste varies by year for me

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #52
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

I had never heard of Brimmer but the description I read sounds interesting. I have to put in on my list.
I might give Kosovo another try. I asked for Kosovo seeds and finally got them through the MMMM swap. To my big disappointment the fruits were small, very acidic and absolutely not resembled those that people depict and describe here and other websites. I must have gotten the wrong seeds. Or I messed up when I sewed them
Old January 17, 2019   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Almost every year I find a different variety as my top tasting tomato. Some of them vary greatly in flavor from year to year depending upon the weather and other garden conditions that affect flavor so much; but there are a few that are in the top five or six for flavor every year unless we have flood conditions. They are Brandywine Sudduth's or Cowlick's and usually one of them is in the top three every year and sometimes both. Limbaugh's Legacy, Dester, Red Barn, Indian Stripe PL or reg, JD's Special C Tex and Spudakee. Others that usually make the top ten are Granny Cantrell, Couilles de Tareau, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Giant Belgium, Prudence Purple, Arkansas Traveler and Donskoi. Two new ones for me that have been very good lately are 1884 and Kentucky Wonder.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #54
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown the same tomatoes year after year, save for Cherokee Purple and Sungold. In the years I have grown them:

Brandywine (Sudduth's)
Wrong Red Brandywine (I got PL. Taste was as good as the Sudduth and size was comparable. Did not know it was wrong and did not save seed. I might try the PL impostor from TGS some year to see if it is the same.)
Brandy Boy
Cherokee Purple
Royal Hillbilly or Daniels (I can't recall which I planted, if i find my notes I might be able to figure it out. I'm growing RH again this year, since I can't find my Daniels seeds.)
Not Dr. Wyche's (a great-flavored pink from wrong seed I failed to save seed from)
Wes
Pruden's Purple
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye (my best tomato one year, not quite as good at another house the next; still amazingly productive, pretty, and worth growing)
Stump of the World -my brother grows it occasionally, sometimes the taste rivals the best pinks, sometimes it doesn't.
Old January 18, 2019   #55
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes an exceptional tomato comes along, one that is so much better than all the rest that it is impossible to compare with ordinary tomatoes. Here are a few of those
"exceptions".

Sunlucky - Got the seed from Keith Mueller in 2009, grew them a few times since, flavor is not repeatable, get one plant out of about 20 that is mind blowing good flavor. On a scale from 1 to 10, that one Sunlucky plant is an 11. Why 11? Because the dial goes to 11!

Akers West Virginia - This arguably is the most consistent across all seasonal variations producing rich old fashioned flavor year after year. There are other tomatoes as good such as Druzba, Box Car Willie, or Cuostralee, but they can vary year to year where Akers is nearly always exceptional. My only complaint is that it MUST be in full sun to deliver the goods.

Crnkovic Yugoslavian - Of the pink tomatoes, none has been better than Crnkovic. Flavor can vary a bit and size can suffer if disease pressure is high, but when properly grown with good care, Crnkovic is one of the best large slicers around.

There are plenty of other outstandingly good tomatoes, but I'd like to put in a plug for a commercial hybrid. Campari tomatoes are sold in Costco stores all winter long. While I can grow better flavored tomatoes in the summer, Campari is the only tomato I can purchase in winter that actually tastes like a tomato.

If you want to have an experience growing tomatoes, here are a few that will demonstrate the sheer range of flavor available.

Hibor - super sweet, if any tomato on earth is sweeter than Sungold, this is it
Dr. Carolyn Pink - simply sublime
Piennolo del Vesuvio - the hanging tomato I love to bring indoors late in the fall
Picardy - nothing exceptional fresh, but canned Picardy is *((summertime in a jar))*
Lynnwood - There are many good flavored red slicers, but this one is a standout
Smoky Mountain Red - some have mentioned spitters, this is the "dirty socks" tomato!
KBX - is arguably the best flavored tomato I've grown with the tangerine gene
Jaune Flamme - the beta carotene gene combines with superb tartness in this tomato

Last edited by Fusion_power; January 18, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #56
PlainJane

Any idea on how to get hold of Sunlucky these days?

- Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Sometimes an exceptional tomato comes along, one that is so much better than all the rest that it is impossible to compare with ordinary tomatoes. Here are a few of those
"exceptions".

Sunlucky - Got the seed from Keith Mueller in 2009, grew them a few times since, flavor is not repeatable, get one plant out of about 20 that is mind blowing good flavor. On a scale from 1 to 10, that one Sunlucky plant is an 11. Why 11? Because the dial goes to 11!

Akers West Virginia - This arguably is the most consistent across all seasonal variations producing rich old fashioned flavor year after year. There are other tomatoes as good such as Druzba, Box Car Willie, or Cuostralee, but they can vary year to year where Akers is nearly always exceptional. My only complaint is that it MUST be in full sun to deliver the goods.

Crnkovic Yugoslavian - Of the pink tomatoes, none has been better than Crnkovic. Flavor can vary a bit and size can suffer if disease pressure is high, but when properly grown with good care, Crnkovic is one of the best large slicers around.

There are plenty of other outstandingly good tomatoes, but I'd like to put in a plug for a commercial hybrid. Campari tomatoes are sold in Costco stores all winter long. While I can grow better flavored tomatoes in the summer, Campari is the only tomato I can purchase in winter that actually tastes like a tomato.

If you want to have an experience growing tomatoes, here are a few that will demonstrate the sheer range of flavor available.

Piennolo del Vesuvio - the hanging tomato I love to bring indoors late in the fall
Picardy - nothing exceptional fresh, but canned Picardy is *((summertime in a jar))*
Smoky Mountain Red - some have mentioned spitters, this is the "dirty socks" tomato!
Jaune Flamme - the beta carotene gene combines with superb tartness in this tomato
Old January 18, 2019   #57
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Enjoyed your comment, Fusion, as I have many times lurking here over the years.

I was already on the fence about adding Crnkovic Yugoslavian to this year's list.

I've had much worse tomatoes than Campari even from my own garden. I usually add a small variety every year in hopes it will taste similar and produce well.
Old January 20, 2019   #58
DapsSeeds
Tomatovillian™

A few I absolutely love:
Old German
Dester
Rebel Yell
Dad's Sunset
German Red Strawberry

But the absolute winner is Wes. Best. Tomato. Ever.
DapsSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2019   #59
Karla
Tomatovillian™

My favorite tomatoes for taste.
Black Brandywine
Tim's black ruffles
Hillbilly
Pink honey
Marizol purple
Old January 23, 2019   #60
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
"exceptions".

You forgot Brokenbar's (for sauce).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote