Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 13, 2011   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Sugary F1

Anyone have information on the pedigree? Anyone grown out the F2 and beyond?

http://coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Wh...t/2005aas6.htm
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2011   #2
swamper
Tomatovillian™

http://www.knownyou.com/en_index.jsp...428C1AEBDBC054

I dont know if this helps you, but there are some related varieties here. i have heard it described as a larger rosalita. I am a fan of sugary.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anyone have information on the pedigree? Anyone grown out the F2 and beyond?

http://coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Wh...t/2005aas6.htm
The parentage of most modern hybrids is never given b'c the tomato breeding industry is a very competitive one. Although I knew it wouldn't be there, meaning no parentage info, I checked the NCSU Cultivar list and it wasn't even listed.

Sugary F1 was bred by the Known You seed CO and I can't remember the date right now, I think it might have been in the blurb, it was an AAS selection.

Known-You was also the breeder of Santa F1 which Andrew Chu used to make popular what he called the grape tomato. 99/100 saved F2 seeds from Santa F1 do come true, the offtype being round and with a lower brix concentration. That information is from Andrew Chu himself. And now folks are on the maybe F7 to maybe F10 with an OP version that has remained perfectly stable.

I don't know of anyone who has worked with Sugary F1 in terms of dehybridizing it. And there's a lot more cherry varieties that have been bred since Sugary F1 that you might want to look at if what you want to do is to work for an OP version and I say that only b'c you mentioned saving F2 seeds.
Old November 14, 2011   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn. Yep, commercial pedigrees are a closely held secret!

I may grow out a few of these Sugary F2 to see what I get. I have a few others I would love to have space for too like Juliet. (the grape Juliet)

I'm curious if you had something specific in mind when you said:

"And there's a lot more cherry varieties that have been bred since Sugary F1 that you might want to look at if what you want to do is to work for an OP version"

Last edited by ChrisK; December 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2011   #5
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I'm curious which new f1 cherrys Carolyn and others rates as better than sugary. Personally I have grown many of the new f1 sweet cherries and only sungold and sweet treats are in it's class to me.

One of the interesting traits that sugary posesses is green gel. I'm lookong forward to seeing the results of f2 growouts of sugary and crosses involving sugary.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I'm curious which new f1 cherrys Carolyn and others rates as better than sugary. Personally I have grown many of the new f1 sweet cherries and only sungold and sweet treats are in it's class to me.

One of the interesting traits that sugary posesses is green gel. I'm lookong forward to seeing the results of f2 growouts of sugary and crosses involving sugary.
Swamper, Ive grown none of the newer F1 cherries b/c they simply don't interest me and I'm happy with what cherries I do grow from time to time. Space is another consideration in how many plants I can grow, meaning Freda can grow for me, now that I can't grow the hundreds of plants and varieties I used to grow.

THe only F1 cherry that do grow almost every year is Sungold F1, and then of late Mountain Magic F1 and sometimes Smarty F1 if I have space.