Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 16, 2012   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Mystery pepper

My neighbor gave me some seeds for a pepper she kept talking about from "her country". I can't remember just what country, will have to ask again, but I think it's in eastern Europe. She is quite elderly, and sometimes I don't understand her too well.

This pepper is purple apparently. Don't know if it's hot or sweet, or anything else. I don't know how old the seeds are either. She says she hasn't ever seen them here.

She also gave me some other seeds for something "big, flat, red". So I'll grow those too, but I'm mostly interested in the purple ones.

As I suspect the seeds are old, I soaked them for a day first, and just sowed them. That's quite late for this area, so I'll probably grow them in pots on the deck so I can bring them inside if it gets too cold, and give them time to ripen.

I hope they sprout - should be interesting!

I'm going to try to catch her daughter, and see if I can get some more information.

As far as growing isolation to save seeds, if the peppers are on my deck, and other peppers I have are on the other side of the house, probably 200 feet away, is that good enough? (I'll stick the red ones somewhere else)