Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2013   #1
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunchocola

Sunchocola is another sister line of Sungold. For those that thought this would have that fruity Sungold flavor you are going to be disappointed.

It is a pretty good tomato and worthy of growing, however, the seed is expensive.

It is much larger than Sungold, and not even close to as good.

Did anyone else grow this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Choc2.jpg (164.9 KB, 55 views)
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i have a few sunchocola plants growing this year but havent tasted any yet.

i'm mainly trying it because i wasnt thrilled with the dark colored cherries i've previously grown but i like having the dark cherries for color contrast in recipes.

instead of comparing it to sungold, how does it compare to black cherry and chocolate cherry?

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Grew a couple Sunchocolas last year. Great plant, very productive until it just kept getting beat down by the extended heat and drought, but it never stopped. When the weather finally cooled off it bit, it came back to life like gangbusters but the fruit started splitting when it rained in the fall, but up to then all the fruit was sound.

I agree it does not compare to Sun Gold w/re to intenseness of flavor. And yes the fruit is a bit larger than Sun Gold.

Made some crosses to other purple and black tomatoes using Sunchocola pollen last summer, and I'm growing those instead of Sunchocola this summer. Bought seeds for the green when ripe sister line, but failed to plant them.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #4
discoprincess
Tomatovillian™

I just got some Sunchocola from the greenmarket. If you're going to compare them to Sungold, then yes, you are going to be disappointed, but it has a nice taste on its own.

I think I am going to save some of the seeds to grow out next year; I'll be curious how they would grow out.
discoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I grew some Sunchocola F2 seeds out this summer, and got both dark (so-called black) and some red cherries. The red cherries were very deep crimson, and were far better flavored than the "black" cherries.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I grew some Sunchocola F2 seeds out this summer, and got both dark (so-called black) and some red cherries. The red cherries were very deep crimson, and were far better flavored than the "black" cherries.

if let to ripen long enough my sunchocola has a red tinge to them and thats when they're at their best

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote