Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 28, 2013   #61
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Is nandina Heavenly Bamboo?
I'd love to grow blueberries-I buy them fresh for my rabbits. I see blueberries in the nurseries but then we're told they won't grow in southern California.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2013   #62
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Look up Southern Highbush blueberries. Sunshine Blues are compact and forgiving. And can be grown in pots!

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #63
Deborah

I will ! Thanks !
Old April 30, 2013   #64
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

My MIL brought me a gorgeous gardenia standard from Sam's today.

I am NOT doing anything to, for, or with it. Here's hoping.

Tl
Old May 3, 2013   #65
Deborah

There IS no hope !
Old May 3, 2013   #66
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Okay, um, well... I can at least enjoy its final weeks. And it is blooming like it knows the end is coming!
Old May 29, 2013   #67
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

I'll just commiserate. I read this whole thread a couple months ago and I STILL bought a gardenia from the garden center...and promptly watched it die. It did bloom a couple of times at least...
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #68
Deborah

Our condolences. What in the world the darn things want is beyond reasoning.
Old May 29, 2013   #69
claherron
Tomatovillian™

Rescued this one from Lowes last winter couldn't kill it if I tried. Sure that helps you feel better. Just plant it and leave it alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
claherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013   #70
Deborah

Cia, you seem to have a bit of a cruel streak...
Old May 30, 2013   #71
claherron
Tomatovillian™

I am a bit of an antagonist, I'm sorry. Honestly I was perplexed by this thread I had no idea people had such problems with Gardenias. I should treat my garden the same way it would probably turn out better. I spend way too much time out there, more damage than good probably. On a serious note plant em and let em go always works for me. Again I am sorry, next time yours will do better.

Old May 30, 2013   #72
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by claherron View Post
I am a bit of an antagonist, I'm sorry. Honestly I was perplexed by this thread I had no idea people had such problems with Gardenias. I should treat my garden the same way it would probably turn out better. I spend way too much time out there, more damage than good probably. On a serious note plant em and let em go always works for me. Again I am sorry, next time yours will do better.

"Next time"?? Many of us here have done several "Next time"s--personally, I've purchased over 10 times various varieties and sizes, and planted different ways in several locations. My last one (and yes, it IS my very last one, this time I promise to keep my word) was a lush glossy beauty in a 3 gallon pot that I transferred to a nice Italian clay pot, in acid-loving potting mix, no less. It was fine for a few months even tho it never bloomed. I ignored it, sort of. Didn't want to obsess over it. I left it in the care of my family when I went on a 2-week trip recently, telling them to just water it at least once a week.
Well, to my shock and surprise, it looked terrible upon my return--yellowing, wilting, etc. Gave it emergency care. It's sulking now in a protected part of my garden, with dappled sunlight.
Walk half a block up my neighborhood, and there are 2 gardenias planted in full sun, covered with blossoms. They've been there for a few years now. Maybe I should replant mine in the same general area, in full sun. But I don't expect it to survive, really.

I'll post again with results on that...
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #73
Deborah

Cia, maybe it's your humidity?
PeeBee, I'm wondering if gardenias just want to be planted in the ground and ignored?
What really bugs me is that I'll probably succumb to temptation again someday. Sigh...
Old May 30, 2013   #74
claherron
Tomatovillian™

Deborah,

Your probably on to something with the humidity. The soil in area where the Gs are stays at least damp all the time. Cali has a great climate for farming so I would assume you would have better luck. In the next few weeks it will be so muggy down here it gets hard to go outside and the bugs forget about. Don't give up never give up.

Old May 30, 2013   #75
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I think gardenias are like... uh... dirt. Throw enough at a wall and you'll get some to stick. Also, I think they're very microclimate dependent.

I think I'm up to around ten or so as well. The one in the front yard looks straggly but it's alive and green. The one in the backyard, in a pot, is wilting and perking and wilting and perking... going to have to figure out a safe spot for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Walk half a block up my neighborhood, and there are 2 gardenias planted in full sun, covered with blossoms. They've been there for a few years now. Maybe I should replant mine in the same general area, in full sun. But I don't expect it to survive, really.

I'll post again with results on that...
Maybe your neighbors have a water leak under there. Just sayin''.

I think I maybe give up on them a little too soon, too. I had written off the one out front, and it came back.