Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 7, 2012   #16
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed GeorgeSr commented above. Actually, he's the guy I try to get ideas from when it comes to raised beds and hoop methods. I have been looking over his shoulders and "borrowing" his ideas for quite some time.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2012   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just got through covering two of my beds with hoops and plastic this afternoon. The wind was blowing about 25 mph the whole time. I had no problems pulling the plastic over because I anchored on the side from which the prevailing winds blow in my garden. On days when the wind shifts it can be a bit hairy pulling the plastic over the hoops. The conduit pvc hoops need no other support other than just pushing them into the soil on the insides of the bed. I have been doing this for years and have never had a hoop blown over no matter how strong the wind blows. Since the weather here can be so warm during the day even during cold spells the plastic has to be removed most mornings so I use the regular construction grade plastic sheeting of 4 mil thickness. I used to use the 6 mil but since the plastic deteriorates in the sun so bad I don't try using it again the next year but rather get new each season. I used to use it numerous years but the manufacturers have made it too biodegradable now to use it more than one season. I also don't like trying to store the stuff each year as it is bulky, wet and dirty by the end of the season. If that is not a problem then I would recommend getting the greenhouse quality plastic of 6 mil thickness so it will hold up for more than one season.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2012   #18
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

For those that are interested in raised beds, but want to eliminate the expense and carpentry of the wood etc. You can do raised beds without the wooden side boards. There are certain downsides to the conventional raised beds such as increased moisture needs, and increased soil temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May 18th 2012 Garden 044.jpg (732.7 KB, 60 views)
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2012   #19
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I use a pvc hoop for starting my giant watermelons very similar to what you are showing with one exception. I put a hoop about every foot or two and run a pvc bar across the top to keep the hoops from flopping over.
You can buy greenhouse grade plastic at Farm Tek in the winter for very little money. They are always odd sized such as 6 ft wide and 80 ft long but it's perfect for covering a small hoop houses. Go to Farm Tek and search for remnants or close outs.
I live in the middle of a wide open field and get winds up to 60-70 mph and this hoop holds for me. Any plastic or other material is always secured to the ground with concrete blocks or buckets of rocks or water.
Old December 23, 2012   #20
george sr
Tomatovillian™

Hotwire, Thanks for the kind words. You have been an inspiration to me also. I have been researching "rocket mass heaters for greenhouses" and am planning on building a system under my raised beds. I'm fortunate to have lots of clay on my land. The trommel (soil sifter) worked great to seperate the junk from the clay. Currently I'm recuperating from a Cardioversion, which where they shock the heart to slow it down. Have a Merry Christmas
Georgesr.
george sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2012   #21
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by george sr View Post
H I have been researching "rocket mass heaters for greenhouses" and am planning on building a system under my raised beds. I'm fortunate to have lots of clay on my land. The trommel (soil sifter) worked great to seperate the junk from the clay.
Georgesr.
I also researched these for my small (12X12) greenhouse used primarily for seed starting. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a grain of clay on my property - just sand. I'd be real interested in seeing what you end up with and how it works for you. I was going to do it this past summer, but just ran out of time - too many tomatoes!
Merry Christmas and/or happy holidays to you all!
Shawn
Old February 28, 2013   #22
StephenCMcGehee
Tomatovillian™

This blog post shows photos of a hoop frame system that I use on my raised bed garden. My purpose is to hold netting to keep the squirrels and other critters from chewing up the tomatoes, so it doesn't have anywhere near the wind load that plastic or any other thermal barrier would have though.
StephenCMcGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #23
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCMcGehee View Post
This blog post shows photos of a hoop frame system that I use on my raised bed garden. My purpose is to hold netting to keep the squirrels and other critters from chewing up the tomatoes, so it doesn't have anywhere near the wind load that plastic or any other thermal barrier would have though.
That's beautiful!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #24
StephenCMcGehee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
That's beautiful!
Thanks! Glad you like it.
Old February 28, 2013   #25
Bragg

Sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post (tried skimming thru), but if you are looking for a simple way of securing the poly onto the PVC tubing, try using a couple of 2x4s. (or if you want to overbuild, use a 2x6).

Simply cut the poly a little bit wider than your raised bed, roll the poly onto to 2x4 (2-3 times), and staple to secure. Do both sides.

The weight of the 2x4s on each side will keep the poly taught on the PVC hoops. To access the garden, lift one side of the poly, 2x4 and all.

We live onto of a hillside, very windy. Very very windy. Works like a hot gosh darnoodley here...
Old February 28, 2013   #26
StephenCMcGehee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bragg View Post
Sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post (tried skimming thru), but if you are looking for a simple way of securing the poly onto the PVC tubing, try using a couple of 2x4s. (or if you want to overbuild, use a 2x6).

Simply cut the poly a little bit wider than your raised bed, roll the poly onto to 2x4 (2-3 times), and staple to secure. Do both sides.

The weight of the 2x4s on each side will keep the poly taught on the PVC hoops. To access the garden, lift one side of the poly, 2x4 and all.

We live onto of a hillside, very windy. Very very windy. Works like a hot gosh darnoodley here...
That's what I use, and you're right - it works very well. I actually use old fence posts since that's what I had available, but anything that will weigh it down should work just fine.