Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2013   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Kosovo and Mayos Delight BLT'S for lunch...yuuuuuummy.

These were not my first BLT's this year,but just felt like maybe sharing the experience with you folks.Transplanted into the garden on 11-29.I apologize that I did not document this grow very well.Not the best effort either as the ground didn't get sufficiently amended this year do to minor health issues.

Planted Kosovo ..Russian 117 Anna Russian Mayos Delight and Amerikan hearts (Thanks Tania).Also planted Purple Dog Creek..Cowlicks..Liz Burt..Danas Dusky Rose...Barlow Jap...and assorted Cherry Toms.The only plants that realy did well were the Kosovo,Mayos Delight and Purple Dog Creek.All of these had excellent flavor...yields slightly favored Kosovo,with the Mayos close behind.

I was able to source Fish Lake Oxheart and Liinies Oxheart at Victory seeds that will be planted next season.Hoping that we will get the garden properly amended and healthy for next year.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Will be anxious for your report on Mayo's Delight. This is my first year for them and probably won't get a taste until August. Those pictures on Tatiana's were so enticing.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #3
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

That was my report sad to say.The Mayos Delight was...well..a delight.I don't weigh mine or anything,but the tomatoes were quite large.One slice covered a slice of bread. I noticed a sweet and maybe just a slight "bite" with the Mayo's,but your mileage may vary.I preferred the Mayos over the Kosov by a very slight margin even tho the Kosovos are great.My production is already starting to taper off (not that it was that good anyway) as the heat is beginning to return. I should also note that for me,all the hearts were quite large,with none being that much larger than the others.

Next season will be better I hope,but I do intend to migrate to the hearts after finally having grown one.There are a few mainstays that will remain like Cowlick and Purple Dog Creek and my cherry toms of course,but they will take a back seat to the hearts.

Really looking forward to trying the Fishlake and Linnies next season.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your evaluation. I think you'll really enjoy Fishlakes. I don't have any experience with Linnies, but I haven't really met a heart that I didn't like. I look forward to the summer when I can get a taste to Mayos.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote