Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 1, 2006   #1
Joz
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber Mosaic Virus??!!

So I noticed one of my precious Green Zebra plants had an odd leaf thing going on.... the lobes of the leaves were independently curling tightly in on themselves, producing spindly wadded looking leaves (fernleafing?). Looking thru the photos of diseases, it looked to be Cucumber Mosaic Virus.

I'm so disappointed... I've only got 4 Green Zebras in the ground (well, in pots), and I'm hoping that the others won't manifest the symptoms as well. Everything's planted pretty close tho....

On the bright side, I have blossom buds on my Tiny Tims and my Tommy Toes! Yay!

Wish me luck!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Joz,

These days CMV is far more common with tomatoes than TMV, that's for sure, but in your area there is still the possibility of other virus diseases.

What do you see re any insects buzzing around or on the plants and have you done anything to limit them b'c almost ALL viruses are insect transmitted, so it doesn't matter how far apart the plants are, it's more of a function of how far the insects travel.
Old April 1, 2006   #3
Joz
Tomatovillian™

Have seen funny little fly things with odd wings, and some tiny wiggly white things. No mealybugs, no whiteflies, no aphids that I've seen on the plants (tho I know they're around, as there's honeydew all over my car). There are spidermites about, but I haven't seen any on the tomatoes.

I do smoke... could that have done it?
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote