Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old September 22, 2010   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default jarrahdale squash!

when i went to buy corn at a local farm this afternoon he had pumpkins and a few jarrahdale squash and a few long island cheese red and range. i've always thought these were really cool looking so i bought a jarrahdael. it is 6 1/'2" tall and 11" across and when i picked it up i thought it was made of concrete! these things weigh a ton, they sure aren't hollow like a pumpkin. i want to use it as a decoration outside but maybe after thanksgiving i'll try to eat it. suggestions on how to cook it? can i saute it or cook with some water and mash like butternut?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2010   #2
tessa
Tomatovillian™

well...down here we call jarrahdale a pumpkin!
what i like to do is BBQ it. i cut it into approx. 1.5 inch slices, put them into a plastic bag and microwave until *just* tender...about 4 minutes or so depending on how many slices are in there.... then i pop them onto the BBQ hotplate, or you could do this in a frying pan too...and cook it until it releases its sugar and that starts carmelizing beneath it.
YUM.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote