Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 11, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Fire Ants!

I was out working in the yard and garden today. I took a break and walked around a bit. I started seeing fire ant beds all over the area. There was one about 30' away that you could see ants on it moving. I got closer and took a couple pictures. The ones with wings on them are queens. Each one of them wants to go start a new colony.

I thought I would share the pictures and provide a link on just about everything you would want to know about fire ants. That soccer ball I put beside the mound was completely covered in fire ants in the time it took to take the first picture. http://articles.extension.org/pages/...nd-development
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0018.JPG (108.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0019.JPG (113.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 11, 2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: missing word
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2016   #2
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

We had a ranch down in South Texas. The soil was really sandy, so we had no fire ants. The red and black ants loved it though, but they were/are never a problem. Up here in Austin is another story. For years fire ants were a huge problem. For the last 10 years I've seen not one in my yard.
Old November 11, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_South View Post
We had a ranch down in South Texas. The soil was really sandy, so we had no fire ants. The red and black ants loved it though, but they were/are never a problem. Up here in Austin is another story. For years fire ants were a huge problem. For the last 10 years I've seen not one in my yard.

They all came to my house.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2016   #4
Down_South
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They all came to my house.

Worth
Use boiling water infused with garlic and habanero juice.
Old November 11, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_South View Post
Use boiling water infused with garlic and habanero juice.
I had an old jug of vinegar I dumped on one mound just to see what they would do.
This mound has plagued one end of my raised bed for years.
Old November 11, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I did an experiment yesterday of two mounds of fire ants. One mound, I poured gas on it. The other one I poured bleach on. The one I poured the gas on is dead. The bleach didn't phase the other mound.
Old November 11, 2016   #7
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I get another variety of fire ants. They even nest in palm trees and when it is stormy, the nests get dislodged and wind up in my pool. I've tried all sorts of stuff and the only thing that works is Amdro. After they take it down into the subterranean mounds and die, there's always some left over that some other mound finds the next year and also eats & dies.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default @alittle salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneW View Post
I get another variety of fire ants. They even nest in palm trees and when it is stormy, the nests get dislodged and wind up in my pool. I've tried all sorts of stuff and the only thing that works is Amdro. After they take it down into the subterranean mounds and die, there's always some left over that some other mound finds the next year and also eats & dies.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=fire+ants

http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-.../life-arts/war

Or if you have some artistic notions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4434434.html

From the archives here on TVille.
Ditto on the Amdro as mentioned above.

Last edited by kurt; November 12, 2016 at 05:36 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #9
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Lol, no molten aluminum for my palm trees or pool. Those cures are for the invasive ones you guys have there. I have the native ones, they're different.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Kurt, our youngest son has an aluminum melting setup he made, and I have two bags of aluminum cans. It's sitting in our mechanics shop just waiting to be used.

I really like art
Old November 12, 2016   #11
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've always used Amdro. It knocks the heck out of the nest which can go dormant for quite a while. But it rarely kills the nest. They always seems to come back eventually. I've heard that gasoline works good. though maybe something with lower volaility like kerosene would last longer and not stink up the air so much.

Also less likely to explode.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The vinegar didn't work they are as happy as a clam.
Reluctant to put poison in the raised bed.
Old November 12, 2016   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Taro is the ant bait I have always used for indoor ants. It is just borax and sugar, harmless to people.

And heck, the sugar is even good for your soil. It feeds beneficial bacteria. Dead ants also supply chitin.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #14
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

oh boy!! fire ants have marched their way up here and have been a nuisance. I live on an old river flood plain with clay hard as a rock, ants love it. I was having some mounds about that size pop up all over the place, I would mow them down, but then two more would appear. used the amdro and "other" things, but not very successful and accumulated expense over the tenure.

I have a bug man that said they have a product "guaranteed" for 3 years, and he would spray off the clock for 1/2 the price for some pocket $$$. Common area is about 2 acres, and he hand sprayed the entire lot. That was about 5 years ago and haven't seen a fire ant since. Initially, all ants disappeared; but several types have since returned.

The ants wrecked my ornamental grass and the such. They would mound up in the base and "suck it dry." Also potted plants, etc., etc...

...........so, maybe thinking there is some squirt application that would be better than all that OTC crap that is ridiculously expensive in the long run and really doesn't work. probably have to have a "license" to obtain, but I know several landscapers who can get me anything.

Wish I knew what the juice was, but probably better that I don't know, if you know what I mean. to kill fire ants, probably toxic enough to kill a human too.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've always used Amdro. I take a stick and stir the mound. While they are scurrying around, I put about a teaspoon of the Amdro onto the mound. Next day, the queen is dead and they move. They are also not as many as before. When the new mound is up, I repeat the process. Sometimes it takes about 5 iterations, but they finally are moved back to the boundaries. of my yard. I know it is poison, but it works and it works quickly. You have to stay after them for about two weeks. But, I think it's worth it.

I don't have them here just yet, but this method comes from my time in New Mexico, Texas, Florida, and Georgia.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote