Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2017   #2821
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, all looks delicious. Is the pepper from Enjoya plant?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #2822
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Default How do I share photos?

How do I post, or share, photos here? I have trouble navigating this forum. Thanks, Farmer Bob, Vero Beach
verobeachbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #2823
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

In the "Quick reply", on the bottom there, is "Go Advance" next to "Submit". Click on it and then choose "Attachment", looks like paper clip in the tool bar. New window will open asking you to choose file from your devise to upload, just choose and upload. Do not forget to preview, to make sure it is all good.

Old May 29, 2017   #2824
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeachbob1 View Post
How do I post, or share, photos here? I have trouble navigating this forum. Thanks, Farmer Bob, Vero Beach
Here you go Bob, step by step.
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=406
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #2825
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Default What happened to this fellow?

Any idea what happened here? Just the bottom affected. I hope the attachment goes through, this is my first attempt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9508[1].jpg (409.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9502[1].jpg (188.5 KB, 81 views)
Old May 29, 2017   #2826
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Classic blossom end rot. It's a calcium distribution problem, in younger plants. Use the go advanced option of the search engine here, put in BER you will see lots of threads about it. Keep your plant evenly watered if in the ground, not too dry or wet, and the tomato won't rob it's fruit of calcium anymore. With containers, you always need to put dolomite lime into your potting mix, should not use soil of any kind, just potting mix, and keep evenly watered, but for the first year of the mix's use, you might still get some BER. The lime will dissolve after several months time, so it will be useable next year. The good news is that as your plant gets older it will usually just grow out of it.
Old May 29, 2017   #2827
verobeachbob1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Here's some photos of today's victims. Have most of the buckets up off the ground now. I think that is helping because it makes it that much harder for rats to climb up. Friends said to put down rat poison but I don't think that will work outside where it gets wet. I tried an electronic battery zapper and the rats ignored dog kibbles as bait, and peanut butter, too. Any help with these?
Old May 29, 2017   #2828
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeachbob1 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Here's some photos of today's victims. Have most of the buckets up off the ground now. I think that is helping because it makes it that much harder for rats to climb up. Friends said to put down rat poison but I don't think that will work outside where it gets wet. I tried an electronic battery zapper and the rats ignored dog kibbles as bait, and peanut butter, too. Any help with these?
I use a Havaheart Cage Trap to trap and relocate squirrels, but I catch more rats than squirrels in it. I use milk bone dog biscuits as bait. I break the biscuits up a bit for bait. Works well for me. Recently I kept catching a immature opossum. I catch it, it eats all the bait, then I release it. It promptly returns to eat my bait again and be let loose. I quit trapping for a while hoping, he will find his food elsewhere.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #2829
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Summer is here, there is no denying it

Hot and humid, like August. None of those cool breezes.

Who said you can't grow lettuce in Florida during the hot months?

This lettuce gets full sun until the afternoon, then the mango tree shades it so it only gets filtered light.

New seeds sowed on 5/26 -

Red Romaine - nada,

Parris Island (this is the one I'm having such good luck with) has the most germination, growth

Super Jericho - Sowed the same # of seeds (dense) but not nearly as good as Parris Island variety (both green Romaine). I've seen this 3 times since April, Parris Island just works well in this hot and humid climate.

Update:

Beans are still going strong - I've been picking 100s daily.

Peppers are still going strong - I've been picking them daily too.

Tomatoes - Only feeding the Esterina, SunGold, GreenBea, 1 Crnkovic Yugo and 2 Big Beef in RootPouches so time has been cut down immensely. Still watering the others but since there is no fruit set, just trying to clear out the salts in the mix.

I've been picking lots of tomatoes too; but once they get picked they are done.

How is everyone else doing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June Lettuce.jpg (503.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg June lettuce seedlings.jpg (368.8 KB, 59 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #2830
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I cleared away the east 14 EBs today, also mist of the karmas in the 7 gallon pots.. They might not be done, but I am really tired of them. Goal is to have all EBs and pots cleared out and clear bagged by the end of next week. I want to take advantage of the very hottest summer sun for the solarizing.
My Kent Mango is about 2/3 as loaded as last year. The new Nam Doc Mai has grown 4 newbranches while we were away. The cacao has new growth which is being thoroughly enjoyed by Sri Lankan Weevils. It grows so fast that I think it will be OK anyway. I just harvested my first pineapple, another is starting to get that bend that says it's getting ready. The sweet potatoes are almost invasive, I hope they are making some tubers. A huge stalk of about 160(guessing)bananas us starting to plump up too.
Old June 6, 2017   #2831
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Another bad storm.
How is everyone doing?

Old June 6, 2017   #2832
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Its pretty doggone soggy.
Old June 6, 2017   #2833
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Another bad storm.
How is everyone doing?
I'm trying to get some Mississippi Silver Cowpeas to germinate. Most things planted in the Spring are nearing the end. Should be able to harvest some Snap Beans for 3 maybe 4 more weeks. Soon I hope to be planting Astro Arugula and Zeebest Okra for the summer. Maybe a few other things.
And tomorrow I hope to finish ordering seeds for the fall garden.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2834
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Another bad storm.
How is everyone doing?
The last couple of days is making up for the basically no rain for the last 7.5 months.
Finally, I won't have to keep filling the pool up.

Weeds will be going bananas.

A lot of the tomatoes left on the vines has split even though some of them were still green. I started pulling plants and am looking forward to the fall season with much less plants.

The green beans, lettuce, swiss chard are thriving in this rain. Peppers don't seem to mind either.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2835
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We are having flooding in our neighborhoods. I am OK , but several lakefront properties here have water completely over their docks,and water encroachment into garages. Another line if heavy rain us on it's way.