Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2017   #2986
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I took my parents up to Georgia in the mountains for I am on the water and the surge was supposed to be very high. I put every tomato seedling I had, over 30, in my truck and they went with. I have two Rebel Yell seedlings started and one is RL. This seed came from Marsha and I know there was no mix up when I planted them. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen? They are both amazingly vigorous ahead of all other seedlings. The RL is slightly shorter but stockier and slightly more branched. They are literally ready to set out after starting the seed on the 26th of Sept.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #2987
Garf
Tomatovillian™

No damage here. 2 plants I placed in the garage were completely eaten by hornworms. I had hoped to get a head start on the season, but that's gone.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #2988
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
I took my parents up to Georgia in the mountains for I am on the water and the surge was supposed to be very high. I put every tomato seedling I had, over 30, in my truck and they went with. I have two Rebel Yell seedlings started and one is RL. This seed came from Marsha and I know there was no mix up when I planted them. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen? They are both amazingly vigorous ahead of all other seedlings. The RL is slightly shorter but stockier and slightly more branched. They are literally ready to set out after starting the seed on the 26th of Sept.
I had donated to me seed for Rebel Yell this year. My own aren't crossed, but I can't vouch for donated seed , which I started 4 of myself. 3 are up, all PL.
To some, I gave out some of my own seeds, and when I ran out I gave out the donated seeds, then my own produce more and those are the ones I sent to other people. I have no idea who got which ones.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #2989
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Garf, I just started my seeds 8 days ago, and just today restarted several that got no germination in paper towel and baggies. If I was you I would just go ahead and start some more seems there's still loads and loads of time in our season.
Old September 18, 2017   #2990
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Garf, I just started my seeds 8 days ago, and just today restarted several that got no germination in paper towel and baggies. If I was you I would just go ahead and start some more seems there's still loads and loads of time in our season.
I plan to. Right now everything is disrupted around here and it is difficult for me to do any real work. I hate those hornworms.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #2991
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I plan to. Right now everything is disrupted around here and it is difficult for me to do any real work. I hate those hornworms.
I hear Bearded Dragons love to eat them. Also, people pay good money for them at the pet stores for dragon food.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #2992
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny got power and water back on Sunday. She had to give her 2 feet tall seedlings away during staying at friends place.
They were displaced for 10 days. They are waiting to hear from insurance, RV had salt water inside from the surge. She is texting that it could have been worse.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #2993
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ginny got power and water back on Sunday. She had to give her 2 feet tall seedlings away during staying at friends place.
They were displaced for 10 days. They are waiting to hear from insurance, RV had salt water inside from the surge. She is texting that it could have been worse.
When you previously mentioned the surge, I was hoping the water didn't get inside. I feel so bad for her.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #2994
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I also feel bad for Ginny. This has really been hard for so many areas of Florida. I have so many shingles ripped of my house and I cannot get a roofer out here. I am on a waiting list and so many people are. The insurance adjuster has still not called so I don't know what they will say. I have no interior damage but if we get heavy rain and wind that could change. I wake up several times every night worrying about it but there is nothing I can do but wait and hope. I am grateful that I did not have the flooding that so many had.

Our local electric company did an amazing job. There were over 200,000 without power and as of today everyone is back online. They sent updates via text and on news several times a day so you knew what was going on. The call center was fully staffed 24 hrs a day so you could always talk to a person. My T-Mobile cell service stayed up the entire time. For two days it had a weaker signal but it worked. Comcast/Xfinity was the worst. I was out for 6 days and you could not talk to a person nor did they give any information. I did get a big $15 credit.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2017   #2995
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
When you previously mentioned the surge, I was hoping the water didn't get inside. I feel so bad for her.
Barb are you back in FL? Any news about your house?

Keyrobbins, I hope they get back to you soon. Our siding was ripped by hurricane Sandy, we could not rest until it was fixed. Any additional damage is not welcome.

Update: Ginny texted back, she says thanks to all and she will be back on TV when things settle down.

Last edited by efisakov; September 20, 2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old September 20, 2017   #2996
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I love Rebel Allience. It is super sweet.
And my Lithium Sunset was almost killed by squirrels twice. Second time it was completely covered by the soil. Seedlings I planted were tiny. It was late because it had to recover. But, it is loaded with huge and beautiful fruits. Plant itself is medium size and so many tomatoes. The biggest so far is about 12 ounces and bigger once are still ripening.
Thank you, Marsha, for the seeds. You practically forced me to grow them. He, he .

Old September 20, 2017   #2997
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha, I love Rebel Allience. It is super sweet.
And my Lithium Sunset was almost killed by squirrels twice. Second time it was completely covered by the soil. Seedlings I planted were tiny. It was late because it had to recover. But, it is loaded with huge and beautiful fruits. Plant itself is medium size and so many tomatoes. The biggest so far is about 12 ounces and bigger once are still ripening.
Thank you, Marsha, for the seeds. You practically forced me to grow them. He, he .
Oh, I am so glad you like them. LS, I bet I got 35-40 large gorgeous tasty fruit. It is returning. Probably will every year. Hard to top that one.
RA- Did you get good fruit set? I got a lot, but they matured in waves. Some would mature on the truss, then the next round on the same truss, etc for maybe 4 rounds. I love the ribbed heart shaped little cherries.
Old September 20, 2017   #2998
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - Have you considered getting a tarp for the roof?

Quote:
Barb are you back in FL? Any news about your house?

Keyrobbins, I hope they get back to you soon. Our siding was ripped by hurricane Sandy, we could not rest until it was fixed. Any additional damage is not welcome.

Update: Ginny texted back, she says thanks to all and she will be back on TV when things settle down.
I'm still in Tennessee. We rented a cabin/house for a month to beat the Florida heat. Will probably stay the entire time and deal with the house when we get back. Water into the sewer system (such as laundry, etc) is still a problem there.

The house looks great from the outside and I finally had people pull down the last 2 solar panels that were stuck on the roof and gutters and draped over the front entrace. Hopefully, that was the extent of our damage.

We are doing a lot of hiking. We brought our heavy Florida Beach cruiser bicycles up here and did the entire Creeper Trail. Once starting in Damascus to WhiteTop (all up hill and hard especially the last 5 miles) and flew down. Sunday we started in Damascus and rode down to Abington and back up.
http://www.vacreepertrail.org/

A couple of years ago, we rented bikes and rode down and took the shuttle back up.

We went to Bristol Caverns last week too. Since it was a rainy day, we were the only ones on the tour.

Many years ago, we did the biking Inn to Inn in Vermont with vans transporting luggage, but I honestly think the Creeper trail blows that away.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #2999
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Nematodes

Has anyone successfully planted tomatoes in the ground? I put several varieties in and they all died. I am afraid to try more even though they are labled as nematode resistant.

Also, what veggies can be put in the ground without fear of nematodes? Swiss chard?
mustard greens, green beans, broccoli, radishes, onion?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #3000
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Marilyn, Florida neematodes laugh at resistant varieties. No such thing in Florida. My advice, put them in at least 7 gallon pots(or larger) with amended clean potting mix, and put the thick plastic bag the potting mix came in under the pot, as a barrier to the soil's nematodes. So they cant crawl in to the pot's holes from the soil. Then they will stay alive much longer.