Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 15, 2013   #61
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I grew Taxi last year as well. It was taken by diseases to soon but I liked it's taste and growing it again this year (in container). The little one below is 1.4 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taxi 1.jpg (316.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Taxi 2.jpg (328.9 KB, 21 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #62
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
All that color already, Ella- very exciting!
Thank you, Kath. I am excited. Just a little sad about some of the varieties that are looking like they are not going to be around for too long. Out of 5 tomato beds 2 are ok, 3 had Septoria/EB/Grey mold/bugs you name it. In one of the beds I had to pull Amazon Chocolate, Black Brandywine is going to be next, and Black from Tula loaded yet on decline. They are next to each other. Last year in the same bed I lost few plants as well.
This year I used mycorrhizae when growing seedlings and transplanting. I used Actinovate. I have marigolds as their companion plants. I have added fish heads/shrimp scale into the soil between plants.
I am realistic persone, I do not expect all my tomatoes do well, but if the same bed has tomatoes getting sick and die before even a middle of the season, it is disturbing. Specially because they are the newest beds. Ahh I should stop complaining.
I was looking at the Kamo eggplants (2) setting fruits, my first time growing eggplants ever.
btw, Kath, I forgot how organized your thread was last year (wow alphabetical!!). I was looking at the pictures of Pruden's Purple, yours is pink and I have a chocolate color. Your thread is very helpful, thanks for doing it again.

Old July 15, 2013   #63
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Thank you, Kath. I am excited. Just a little sad about some of the varieties that are looking like they are not going to be around for too long. Out of 5 tomato beds 2 are ok, 3 had Septoria/EB/Grey mold/bugs you name it. In one of the beds I had to pull Amazon Chocolate, Black Brandywine is going to be next, and Black from Tula loaded yet on decline. They are next to each other. Last year in the same bed I lost few plants as well.
This year I used mycorrhizae when growing seedlings and transplanting. I used Actinovate. I have marigolds as their companion plants. I have added fish heads/shrimp scale into the soil between plants.
I am realistic persone, I do not expect all my tomatoes do well, but if the same bed has tomatoes getting sick and die before even a middle of the season, it is disturbing. Specially because they are the newest beds. Ahh I should stop complaining.
I was looking at the Kamo eggplants (2) setting fruits, my first time growing eggplants ever.
btw, Kath, I forgot how organized your thread was last year (wow alphabetical!!). I was looking at the pictures of Pruden's Purple, yours is pink and I have a chocolate color. Your thread is very helpful, thanks for doing it again.
Ella- sorry to hear you've got a sick bunch. Last year I had about 5 plants in a row go down really early to Septoria and it's very disheartening, especially if it's the first year you're growing a variety and you've worked so hard to make them healthy and strong. This year I already pulled Black Mammoth and there are another 5 or 6 in one area that I'm working hard to keep on top of so it doesn't get out of control before I can at least taste them- Dixiewine looks like a palm tree. Amazon Chocolate is one of the more disease resistant varieties I've grown- you never know.

The only time I had luck with eggplants was one year when I covered the plants with row cover to keep out the flea beetles, potato bugs and all the other critters they seem to attract in droves. I'll probably grow them again next year when my tomatoes take up half as much space as this year.

Last year's thread was alphabetical because I didn't start it until the season was over but this year I'll tackle it as the season progresses. This morning I noticed a couple of new cherry tomato varieties blushing. It's fun when I'm in the mood and I'm glad it's helpful for those looking for pictures, etc.

Pruden's Purple should be pink, not a chocolate color...

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...den%27s_Purple

We've got a dry week coming up, so I hope your plants hang in there!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #64
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Kath, I figured it was strange looking Pruden's, even shape is not the same. My tomato, what ever it is more of a globe shape.
Maybe some one can recognize what it is. It has RL. All 3 together were 9.9 oz, not big at all. It definitely taste like a black tomato should, earthy.
If Carolyn see my last paragraph, she will say "there are hundredths of chocolate varieties ...". Sorry Carolyn, I just can't resist it, just like you can not resist chocolate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05185.jpg (304.7 KB, 28 views)

Old July 16, 2013   #65
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant of Brad’s Black Heart. Here is first Brad’s Black Heart (7.3 0z).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05186.jpg (294.0 KB, 29 views)

Old July 16, 2013   #66
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka (Yellow, Regular leaf) was much earlier last year. I am growing it in a container this year, and I can say that she does not like it. I ran out of space (38 varieties in total). Sorry, Azoychka. The fruits are half the size they were last year. The container is 20 gallons. I have 2 plants in it, the second is Taxi. Taxi is late this year as well but thriving, has many fruits and looks healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Azoychka.jpg (307.1 KB, 23 views)

Old July 17, 2013   #67
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Well, first taste of Brad’s Black Heart is amazing. Cherokee Purple and Carbon were my favorite for some time now and here is a challenger. I have to keep this tasting competition side by side hopefully the whole summer. My first CP have not ripen yet. BBH has a bit more acidity to it than CP or Carbon, but still sweet, meaty and firm. The taste of the best childhood tomato from my grandma's garden in Crimea. I used to sneak into tomato garden with just a pinch of salt and have a blast. My grandma could not understand why I was not hungry after playing outside for a few hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brad’s Black Heart cut.jpg (315.6 KB, 37 views)

Old July 17, 2013   #68
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ella! those pics of the "not so pretty" plants look all too familiar to me. But despite your issues you look to be having some decent production as I am here. So...yay for that!
I did have to pull my AC after it was completely defoliated from the Grey mold. I got one small greenie from it, but I doubt it will ripen. Judging from the plant habit it exhibited during it's short life, it looked like it may be a good candidate for my containers. Is your experience that AC stays pretty well behaved as far as growth habit is concerned?

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #69
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

You will need to support vines. The plant does not grow too tall, mine was about the size of CP. Sorry that you lost AC before it gave you the ripe tasty tomato.
Kelli, did you start your own Photo Gallery?

Last edited by efisakov; July 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 18, 2013   #70
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

My first okra.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Okra.jpg (339.8 KB, 25 views)

Old July 18, 2013   #71
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ella...thanks for the tip. I was thinking of putting it in a SWC next year with a PVC frame. CP is pretty well behaved so that is a good thing! Thank you again for the AC seeds, I will make sure to treat it better next year
As far as the photo gallery, I started a thread where I am frequently posting pics this season. Is that what you mean? If not, please give me the details!
On a side note, does okra grow well for you here in the Northeast? I am very curious about that and tomatillos. Cheers!

Old July 18, 2013   #72
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Suyo Japanese long cucumber. My 3rd season growing this one. It does not get bitter, very crispy and tasty. Does not stay too long in refrigerator (no cuce does). It can be pickled as whole or cut. Kept on producing for me in September.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suyo Japanese long cucumber.jpg (160.7 KB, 32 views)

Old July 18, 2013   #73
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Update on the Eggplant named Kamo. It is setting more fruits. I guess, it does not mind to be in a container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kamo.jpg (402.0 KB, 28 views)

Old July 18, 2013   #74
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics! I think I might need to look into that Suyo cucumber. I am looking for a regular green slicer to go along with our favorite lemon cucumber, but I haven't found "the one" yet.
What cute little eggplants! I find that mine grow 10x better in a container than in my raised beds. I have them coming out of my ear this year!

Old July 18, 2013   #75
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It looks as I may have 39th variety in a marigold bed. I had few volunteers that I just did not have a heart to kill, so I gave them a chance wherever I could put them. This is most likely a Blondkopfchen. I grew only two cherry varieties last year Blondkopfchen and Black Cherry (which I have some volunteers also).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blondkopfchen.jpg (396.5 KB, 31 views)