Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2015   #196
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Bottom watering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
The rain took on a new meaning this AM. Finally just drizzling and lighter outside. Plants are now on the edge of the porch to get more light,

I meant to ask this earlier but got distracted:

What do you mean RE: " use a 18 inch skewer(treated,velcro wrapped seedlings when thick/old enough)"

and

I remember you must have posted a pic of your screened area with your plants - everything looked so neat. I'm impressed when tomato plants look really neat.
Anyway, when they are in their buckets with the saucers underneath, are you bottom watering them?

Thanks again for info,
In the plugs so as they do not intermingle and fall over each other I use the skewers to keep them staight up(I grow mainly cherrys).When I transfer the plugs(deep up to 3/4 of plant) I will stop medium 1 1/2 down from top and fill up to top of container lid with fresh well water,then monitor the saucer drainage amount/timing to see if plants are getting sufficient moisture.Crucial during the different growing cycles,and fertilization solutions and height/rootball requirements during life of plants.Trying to optimize water/ferts and watering labor.The velcro green wraps are for the tomato/skewer juncture.I like to cut the 1/2 wide velcro in half lenghwise,crosscut about 1 inch long and use two per plant in the plug stage/trays.Bed Bath Beyond have skewers that are 1/4 inch thick and a full 18inches long.The cheap store boughts seem to rot out,turn black with mold and fungas,I soak them in boiled Linseed oil to get at least 4-5 years out of them.

Last edited by kurt; September 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #197
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

The trays Kurt recommended will be here Monday. My oldest son goes for sushi every week and saves me the chopsticks. They are nice and thick and I have lots of them. I never thought about using linseed oil and I think I have some here. This group always has great info and I keep learning from all of you.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #198
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have mentioned that I have a lot of tomatoes planted in what we call the Grow Bucket Garden at the demonstration garden and took a picture while I was there today to share. We have our first tomato there and it is the Brandywine Dark Cherry. When it stops raining I have to go see if my plant at home has one yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150917_092910.jpg (66.0 KB, 57 views)
Old September 17, 2015   #199
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I have mentioned that I have a lot of tomatoes planted in what we call the Grow Bucket Garden at the demonstration garden and took a picture while I was there today to share. We have our first tomato there and it is the Brandywine Dark Cherry. When it stops raining I have to go see if my plant at home has one yet.
What a beautiful garden that is, Kay. I'll be interested to hear how your BCD tastes, I will be growing it this season. Barb gave me seeds, both from Tradewinds( zero germination) and from her.(6 of 6 germinated after I cleared them of the gel).
Thanks Barb for the seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #200
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Double post

Last edited by Fiishergurl; September 17, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #201
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay,

What a beautiful garden!! I am so excited for this season for everyone.... so many awesome types of tomatoes we are all trying. Looking forward to reports from everyone.

I am growing Brandywine Cherry Dark also from Barb. I grew it over the summer but left it at my mom's when i had to go on the road. She wasn't able to care for it but it grew and produced tomatoes anyways with being totally neglected. The tomatoes ripened while i was away so I didnt get to try them yet but I was able to clone two BCD plants from what was left of that summer plant and they are rooted and doing great. No disease or anything. Saved me a few weeks of having to start new seeds of BCD.... yay!

Ginny
Old September 17, 2015   #202
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So I'm in Oak Hill (where I live) for the night just to check on things. My neighbors are all telling me how much they've missed my tomatoes and how bad grocery store tomatoes taste. These are all people who didnt really know there were better tomatoes before. Makes me not feel quite so bad for being a tomato addict and growing so many kinds... :-)

Ginny
Old September 17, 2015   #203
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

The GB Garden was really pretty this spring/summer. I had Cosmos, Zinnias, Marigolds, Holy Basil and African Blue Basil all around the perimeter. Right now I have Calendulas, Pansy and Viola seedlings start for the fall border. It does not show in the picture but I am also working on surrounding the entire plot with Garlic Chives. I have the front done. I love that plant because it grows so dense it helps keep grass and weeds from creeping in and bees love the white flowers that bloom when everything else is about done.

By the way, I do know it is Brandywine Cherry Dark but I think Brandywine Dark Cherry just sounds better! I can't wait to have one get ripe to taste it.
Old September 17, 2015   #204
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - your garden looks great! I agree Brandywine Dark Cherry does sound better.

On Tradewindsfruit where I got the seed, they call BDC/BCD "Cherry Tomato, Brandywine" and BPC (the pink variety), "Cherry Brandywine Tomato" - our naming convention is way better.

I hope you all like the tomatoes; I've never tasted a real Brandywine (other than a yellow one that I grew). You should get plenty from your plants.

I have a few BDC seedlings going also; mainly to test germination of what I sent out.

I also have Brandywine Pink Cherry seedlings and they are runts compared to BDC cherry. The BPC are potato leaf.

I too am excited for everyone's garden this year. It was tough looking at all those tomato pictures over the summer; but now our turn is coming.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #205
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Kay - your garden looks great! I agree Brandywine Dark Cherry does sound better.

On Tradewindsfruit where I got the seed, they call BDC/BCD "Cherry Tomato, Brandywine" and BPC (the pink variety), "Cherry Brandywine Tomato" - our naming convention is way better.

I hope you all like the tomatoes; I've never tasted a real Brandywine (other than a yellow one that I grew). You should get plenty from your plants.

I have a few BDC seedlings going also; mainly to test germination of what I sent out.

I also have Brandywine Pink Cherry seedlings and they are runts compared to BDC cherry. The BPC are potato leaf.

I too am excited for everyone's garden this year. It was tough looking at all those tomato pictures over the summer; but now our turn is coming.
Barb your seeds germinated really well, but I did have to wash the gel off fopr them to. Tradpewinds seeds had zero germination. They just got transplsnted to their own 3.5" pots. I am also growing BCP, it is a PL.
I agree that it was ard to see everyone's mouth wateringly beautiful pictures while all .i could see was Okra. I just cant wait until we get fruit in December.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #206
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, that is not my garden just what I planted for the extension office but it sure is nice to have access to more garden space. It lets me grow more than I could at home. I can't wait to see what the Master Gardeners think of some of the new varieties.

Cherokee Tiger is staying so small. I think this may be the shortest dwarf I have grown. I am just hoping everything survives all this rain. I think this year is even wetter than last fall.
Old September 18, 2015   #207
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I've tried finding Brandywine Cherry Dark online to no avail. I looked at Trade Winds and couldn't find them there. Maybe they will have them later. I have lots of time until my Spring Garden. For the Fall I have plenty of varieties to tend to.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #208
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am sure some of us will have a good enough crop to share some seeds with you if all goes well with our fall crops.
Old September 18, 2015   #209
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

Do you want me to send you some BCD now? I have tons of seeds and the plant is VERY forgiving.

Barb
Old September 18, 2015   #210
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

See next post - added pictures.

Last edited by Barb_FL; September 18, 2015 at 04:07 PM.