Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2014   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default distance between trusses

Is the distance between two flower trusses genetically determined or is it influenced by fertilizing?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itoero View Post
Is the distance between two flower trusses genetically determined or is it influenced by fertilizing?
The internode distances are determined genetically and that's what distinguishes a determinate variety from an indeterminate one. I think that's what you are referring to.

Right now I can't remember those exact distances but can look it up if you want me to.

Nothing to do with fertilization.

Carolyn
Old May 3, 2014   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If I remember correctly the are two nodes between flower clusters on a determinate and three on an indeterminate. If you are asking is the physical length between flower cluster determined genetically of environmentally than they answer is both. Obviously you can stunt a plant in poor growing conditions, but a plant that is genetically disposed to have short internode distances like a dwarf isn't going to become a huge plant because you give it a lot of fertilizer.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote