Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2014   #1
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Default Houweling's Tomatoes

I'm just curious. I realize it's probably a trade secret but does anyone have an inkling of what type of heirloom tomatoes they have? I bought three at a local market just because they were so beautiful(not a good reason I know). Alas, I only got to eat one before they went bad due to some hectic times around here, but it was decent for a store-bought greenhouse mater(should have been better than decent for the price). I've noticed that most 'grocery store heirlooms' are past their prime already. The one I got to use was very large, red, oxheart/strawberry shaped. The other ones were a large black(reminded me of Black Krim), and a medium sized pink slicer. I couldn't resist...they were gorgeous and $5/lb(choke). Anybody in the know?
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Did you deseed any of the tomatoes?

yesinwi aka Dust
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #3
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I do know you partially should have saved seed since part of the fermentation process was already done .

Sorry I don't have much on the descriptions. It could been Anna Russian. Or any other ox heart. I guess what I'm saying is. If you would have planted the seeds and they were heirloom. The would have grown true and the t villers in the know could have given you a more accurate answer. Also produce forensics could be fun. .

And if not an heirloom, you could help your market maintain integrity.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2014   #4
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I did save the oxheart seeds but not the other two. Should have, but was in a hurry and they were molding in the bowl so I just dumped them(I know, I know, already processed). I do have black and pink tomato seeds, but only one oxheart(pink). The next time I'm at that market I'll pick up another oxheart and take a photo. I only go there to buy coconut flakes because I can't get them where I usually shop.
Old April 28, 2014   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

https://www.google.com/#q=houweling's+tomatoes

Google link above about Houweling's tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old April 28, 2014   #6
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I did find their website, but couldn't find any mention of tomato names. Maybe I just didn't see it. Just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew. I appreciate you going through the trouble for the link though, Carolyn.