Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2014   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE and Amazon

I was shopping on Amazon today for plant labels and found SSE seeds for sale thru the site. Tomatoes, flowers, other veggies all were listed. The seller was listed as Seed Savers Exchange. Prices were all over the place with some prices including free shipping and others not.
The seed packets are gorgeous. Just thought I would pass the info along in case you are looking for yet another place to buy seeds
Old April 25, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
I was shopping on Amazon today for plant labels and found SSE seeds for sale thru the site. Tomatoes, flowers, other veggies all were listed. The seller was listed as Seed Savers Exchange. Prices were all over the place with some prices including free shipping and others not.
The seed packets are gorgeous. Just thought I would pass the info along in case you are looking for yet another place to buy seeds
Interesting info about the prices of different packs of SSE seeds having different prices as well as having different shipping costs.

And that b/c the prices and shipping costs from the SSE Public catalog and the SSE public online are all about the same, as I recall and same for shipping costs.

I'll ask Diane Whealey about that b/c as a listed SSE member I just got aletter from her inviting me and my family to SSE this summer for the 40th anniversery of the founding of SSE.

And there's the me part who hasn't yet been outside the front door can't drive anymore, and my family is a 10 yo cat.

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2014   #3
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

SSE does let companies buy their seeds wholesale to have their seed racks as part of their inventory. They get to buy the seeds for $1.50 a pack. Personally I would rather buy direct from SSE since I know the money helps them stay in operation.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
SSE does let companies buy their seeds wholesale to have their seed racks as part of their inventory. They get to buy the seeds for $1.50 a pack. Personally I would rather buy direct from SSE since I know the money helps them stay in operation.
Yes, I do know there are SSE racks in many places and they get to buy the seeds wholesale, but when Barbee said different prices and shipping costs for those SSE varieties, that's what confused me.

Maybe I missed something in what you wrote Barbee?

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2014   #5
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Different companies are selling them on Amazon so they can each set their prices and shipping rates. I imagine some Amazon shoppers would never have known about SSE so it is a good way to let people see all the interesting seeds that are not offered by the main stream companies.
Old April 25, 2014   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Different companies are selling them on Amazon so they can each set their prices and shipping rates. I imagine some Amazon shoppers would never have known about SSE so it is a good way to let people see all the interesting seeds that are not offered by the main stream companies.
But Barbee said in the initial post that at Amazon they were Ided as seeds from SSE.If soI could understand that in terms of outreach efforts to increase availability and income to SSE.

What other companies would be selling them to Amazon? Seed racks with SSE seeds for sale are found in hardware stores, nurseries and other places and I don't think they would be selling them off their racks to Amazon.

Me be still confused.

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2014   #7
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

They are not selling them to Amazon. They are listing them to sell on Amazon. If you wanted to sell your seeds and wanted to reach people you could set up an account as an Amazon seller. Ii was looking at some of the SSE seeds listed on Amazon and Honeyman Farms/Illinois Supply seems to be the main seller.

They list Cherokee Purple seeds as 25 seeds for $3.79 with $4.99 shipping and handling. They claim the list price is $8.30 and say that you are saving 54%. SSE charges $2.99 for Organic Cherokee Purple and their shipping is less. This same company lists some seeds with free shipping but but then they charge $8.30 for 25 seeds.

I feel bad for the people that are paying such outrageous prices.
Old April 25, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They are not selling them to Amazon. They are listing them to sell on Amazon. If you wanted to sell your seeds and wanted to reach people you could set up an account as an Amazon seller. Ii was looking at some of the SSE seeds listed on Amazon and Honeyman Farms/Illinois Supply seems to be the main seller.

They list Cherokee Purple seeds as 25 seeds for $3.79 with $4.99 shipping and handling. They claim the list price is $8.30 and say that you are saving 54%. SSE charges $2.99 for Organic Cherokee Purple and their shipping is less. This same company lists some seeds with free shipping but but then they charge $8.30 for 25 seeds.

I feel bad for the people that are paying such outrageous prices.
Outrageous it is, and I wonder if SSE knows they are doing this. I'll ask Diane when I get around to e-mailing her about the invitation to SSE this summer.

I don't know too many folks who buy just one pack of seeds anyway, but that kind of shipping cost for 25 seeds is more than outrageous as I see it.

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2014   #9
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the seller is listed as Amazon.com for the seeds with free shipping. This usually means you have sold something direct to Amazon in bulk or you are an Amazon Seller and you agree to abide by Amazon's shipping policies.

Example: Seed Savers Exchange 0826 Open Pollinated Tomato seeds, Italian Heirloom. 50 seeds. By Seed Savers Exchange. 2 sellers
Seller 1 -- Amazon.com $8.30 with free shipping. Prime eligible.
Seller 2-- Honeyman Farms. $3.79 + 4.99 shipping

Next example: Seed Savers Exchange 1543 Organic Open Pollinated Tomato seeds, Emmy. 25 seeds. By Seed Savers exchange.
Seller 1--Amazon.com. 8.69 includes free shipping. Prime eligible.
Seller 2--Honeyman Farms. 3.79 + 4.99 shipping.

I popped over to the SSE public catalog and took a peek. Italian Heirloom sells for 2.99/50 seeds + shipping and handling. The website is not set up to figure up your S&H costs unless you sign in so I can't do a comparison.

Old April 25, 2014   #10
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I can't remember if SSE charges $3.50 or $3.95 for shipping and that is when I order quiet a few seeds. Overcharging for shipping is one of my pet peeves. I did look at SSE's seed rack locations and Honeyman Farms is one of the locations. I guess it is their right to sell seeds however people are willing to buy them without doing some comparison shopping.
Old April 25, 2014   #11
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
. . . as a listed SSE member I just got aletter from her inviting me and my family to SSE this summer for the 40th anniversery of the founding of SSE. . . . and my family is a 10 yo cat.
Carolyn, if you showed up with your *real* family it would startle them . . . they'd think it was the "if you build it they will come" scene at the end of Field of Dreams . . . lines of Carolyn's people and tomatoes crowding the roads clear to the horizon.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
Yes, the seller is listed as Amazon.com for the seeds with free shipping. This usually means you have sold something direct to Amazon in bulk or you are an Amazon Seller and you agree to abide by Amazon's shipping policies.

Example: Seed Savers Exchange 0826 Open Pollinated Tomato seeds, Italian Heirloom. 50 seeds. By Seed Savers Exchange. 2 sellers
Seller 1 -- Amazon.com $8.30 with free shipping. Prime eligible.
Seller 2-- Honeyman Farms. $3.79 + 4.99 shipping

Next example: Seed Savers Exchange 1543 Organic Open Pollinated Tomato seeds, Emmy. 25 seeds. By Seed Savers exchange.
Seller 1--Amazon.com. 8.69 includes free shipping. Prime eligible.
Seller 2--Honeyman Farms. 3.79 + 4.99 shipping.

I popped over to the SSE public catalog and took a peek. Italian Heirloom sells for 2.99/50 seeds + shipping and handling. The website is not set up to figure up your S&H costs unless you sign in so I can't do a comparison.

I have the 2014 SSE catalog next to me, and yes, 50 seeds for $2.99 and the shipping and handling charge for anything under $10 is $3. From 10 to 20$ it's $4/

Yes, I'm a long time Lifetime listed SSE member since 1989 but if it were me I'd buy most of my tomato seeds from Sandhill Preservation where seed costs are very low, the amount of seeds sent are way over the amt specified, no tomato seeds are older than two years old, over 400 varieties listed and shipping costs are more than reasonable.

Just my own opinion and I'm sure there afre other sites with reasonable prices, but I've known Glenn and Linda Drowns for about 25 years now, and trust what they do. No place selling OP varieties is perfect, but when I used to do wrong Variety threads at GW years ago, they came out on top and from feedback I think that would still be true now

If to a US address no charge at all if the order is over $20 and if less than $20 just $2 for shipping and handling for US folks.

You might like to also know that SSE does not produce all the tomato seed they sell, whether from the paper Public catalog, or from the online Public catalog.

Carolyn
Old April 25, 2014   #13
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Overcharging for shipping is one of my pet peeves.
I figure if someone is trying to mess with me even before they get my money the situation is going to be worse after they get their hands on my money.
Quote:
. . .I'd buy most of my tomato seeds from Sandhill Preservation where seed costs are very low, the amount of seeds sent are way over the amt specified, no tomato seeds are older than two years old, over 400 varieties listed and shipping costs are more than reasonable.

Just my own opinion and I'm sure there afre other sites with reasonable prices, but I've known Glenn and Linda Drowns for about 25 years now, and trust what they do. No place selling OP varieties is perfect, but when I used to do wrong Variety threads at GW years ago, they came out on top and from feedback I think that would still be true now

If to a US address no charge at all if the order is over $20 and if less than $20 just $2 for shipping and handling for US folks.

Carolyn
I agree with everything you say about Sandhill seeds. My biggest frustration with them is that they update their catalog so late and add to that you have to mail your order in with no assurance that stuff is in stock, that you almost have to order this year for next. They STILL haven't updated their squash page for 2014 which means that for TWO consecutive year they have missed an order from me.

Last edited by Doug9345; April 25, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2014   #14
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can't remember if SSE charges $3.50 or $3.95 for shipping and that is when I order quiet a few seeds. Overcharging for shipping is one of my pet peeves. I did look at SSE's seed rack locations and Honeyman Farms is one of the locations. I guess it is their right to sell seeds however people are willing to buy them without doing some comparison shopping.
Yes but keep in mind that SSE itself is charging 5.31 per pack for shipping on the Amazon site. Most likely that is to honor the prime membership 2 day shipping but still...you can't fault Honeyman for high shipping without faulting SSE. At least Honeyman is telling you what the shipping cost is right up front.
Old April 25, 2014   #15
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have the 2014 SSE catalog next to me, and yes, 50 seeds for $2.99 and the shipping and handling charge for anything under $10 is $3. From 10 to 20$ it's $4/

Yes, I'm a long time Lifetime listed SSE member since 1989 but if it were me I'd buy most of my tomato seeds from Sandhill Preservation where seed costs are very low, the amount of seeds sent are way over the amt specified, no tomato seeds are older than two years old, over 400 varieties listed and shipping costs are more than reasonable.

You might like to also know that SSE does not produce all the tomato seed they sell, whether from the paper Public catalog, or from the online Public catalog.

Carolyn
I have never ordered from SSE and probably won't now based on different things I have heard going on there. I like the smaller seed companies and try to support as many as I can.

But I still think their seed packets are fabulous LoL