Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2011   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Carolyn,

Re 'Podarok Fei' tomato - the commercial description says it is a det., orange hearts, 90-110 grams.
Tania, I had copied into my notebook what to look for and had written Podorok, det, orange heart. And the size you note is perfect b'c about 100 grams would equal about a 4-5 oz fruit size and that's what I got.

But as I think I said above the two fruits I had so far were blunt hearts, not the perfect tapered heart shown in the picture, but given better weather perhaps mine would have been tapered and then can we always trust the photos shown on seed packs? Most of the time, some of the time? Who knows. And I mean from ANY source, not for this one re Podorok.

I'll have to look for Andrey's seed packs he sent to me, in his normal small zip lok bags but I wont look now to see if he put anything else on the label such as gm weights, as he usually does, and anything else, as he usually does such as CV, or whatever.

When my brother was here in June Freda had to take everything off my seed table so he could use the sofa sleeper and when she put back the stuff it isn't in the same order or orientation, so I'd have to search a bit to find those seeds and I'm not going to do it now.

I'm convinced enough that I have the commercially available Podorok, I just don't remember seeing that second word Fie.

Is there a translation to English of Podorok Fei?

And I figured out what the fruit other than Heshpole is, it's Creme Brulee, another one from Andrey. Yes, I have quite a few new ones from Andrey this year, even some indeterminates, and I say that b'c he knows I prefer indet over det, but I should remember that there are some great Det and some came from Andrey as far as what I've grown.
Old September 8, 2011   #17
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Podarok Fei can be translated something like 'A gift from Fairy'

I grew a few Russian tomatoes in the past that did not show the heart shape featured on the commercial seed packet. I am not sure the Russian CVs use the real fruit to make these photos/pictures - looks like they do not. Some of the 'hearts' shown on the packets grew into perfect plums for me, with only 1 or 2 fruits showing a blunt heart shape (i.e. Nastenka - see pictures at http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Nastenka as am example).

Another example is the Yellow 1884 Pinkheart that rarely appears to be a heart.

On the topic of fruit shape variability - Keith M. sent me some pictures of his segregating lines that showed heart or slightly pointy fruits that developed in extreme heat vs. normal (expected) round oblate shapes developed at lower temperatures. It proves that tomato fruit shape can be variable under different weather conditions. Keith says that heart shape gene is usually not present in these tomatoes that exhibit shape variations, it is all can be attributed to environmental influence.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2011   #18
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
I don't know why, but there's something really attractive about such "pointy-ness". Maybe it's because it sets them apart from the crowd and all their roundness and soft edges. Maybe it's that they look like gnome hats. It's probably the gnome hats.
yeah pointy is cool and when you add gnomes to the mix well it just doesn't get any better than that.

here's some film i shot of gnomes roaming the countryside....

And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

This post is a twofer b'c I accidentally made in that way, so the first part is about my pointiest variety grown and the second part is about non- heart varieties that develop hearts.

The pointiest variety I've ever grown was Teton de Venus ( without the accent marks), seeds brought back to me from Italy.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w..._de_V%C3%A9nus

Above is Tania's page for this variety and please look at Julien's picture which is closest to what I got with seeds direct from Italy. The pointy points were even more acute and longer than Julien showed and also curved a bit and those fruits could be used as lethal weapons.

They grow in twos on the plant, hence the name, roughly translated as mountain of venus referring to the two protuberances found on women above the waist and below the collar bone, is the best I can describe them , OK, lets see what the software does with the word breasts.

The fruits that I had on those two plants were really spectacular.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...1829l2-4.2l6l0

Above is an IMAGES Google search for the same variety and there sure is a lot of wrong seed out there b'c most that are shown look nothing like what Teton de Venus should look like.

Posted by Tania:
(On the topic of fruit shape variability - Keith M. sent me some pictures of his segregating lines that showed heart or slightly pointy fruits that developed in extreme heat vs. normal (expected) round oblate shapes developed at lower temperatures. It proves that tomato fruit shape can be variable under different weather conditions. Keith says that heart shape gene is usually not present in these tomatoes that exhibit shape variations, it is all can be attributed to environmental influence.)

Tania over the years I've posted the same thing at various message sites as to hot weather altering tomato shapes and so yes some that looked a bit like hearts that weren't.

And note that Keith is sending you pictures from segregating lines as well, not stable varieties although I'm sure he knows what he's looking for in those lines. Stuff happens.

But I'm not too sure about that last sentence after being sent seeds for what was being called a heart shaped Orange Minsk, growing out those seeds and getting hearts, well one so far and I'll have to check with the others I sent the same seeds to for seed production to see what they got.

I know Keith and respect him highly as to his tomato knowledge, and Craig knows him as well since Keith's wife's parents live near Craig in the Raleigh area but over the years since he moved back west to Kansas City from Fletcher, NC where he got his MS degree with Dr. Gardner I don't get the impression that he's grown that many OP varieties that are in addition to all the crosses he does and all the plants that come from those selections and growouts.

So my question is, are all heat induced hearts from non-hearts lacking the heart gene? Does Orange Minsk have a heart gene?

Craig now has a Cherokee Purple heart from seeds sent to him. I also grew that one this year and it sure is giving heart shaped fruits, no question about it. And I think he said he's also getting hearts from those seeds as well. So does Cherokee Purple also have a heart gene, or not.

Just something to think about. Whenever I say that something simply can't happen, when it comes to tomatoes, it happens.

If it were one fruit on any non heart variety that was heart shaped, OK, I could say it was due to a somatic mutation, but with the Orange Minsk I understand there were several hearts on the original plant from which seeds were taken, but I can confirm that if needed. And it it were truly only environmental I can't see those seeds giving me hearts this year as well unless the environmental conditions were exactly the same as what they were where the original plant was grown and I guess I find that to be a bit far fetched.
Old September 9, 2011   #20
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I think I may have unintentionally confused the issue by not quoting Keith exactly. When I said "Keith says that heart shape gene is usually not present in these tomatoes that exhibit shape variations, it is all can be attributed to environmental influence. " it meant to refer to the particular tomatoes (segregation lines Keith has been working with), and not to *all* tomatoes known. My not so perfect English is to blame.

If I try to reword that in better English, the statement was about the tomatoes that do not have heart gene but still exhibit heart shape variations under some environmental conditions. And I agree, as I have seen the same with some OP varieties, only in my case the odd shapes were appearing at cold temperatures (as we never get heat here in Anmore)

Sorry for the confusion this caused. My bad.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #21
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Carolyn, I've sent you Podarok Fei seeds this spring :-) This variety name should be on my ziplock sticker ;-)

Fyodor Tarasenko (Фёдор Тарасенко) was a very famous amateur tomato breeder from Ukraine in USSR times. His main interest of breeding were tall multiflora type varieties and named many of his varieties as Hybrids because sometimes we used to call crosses as hybrids in USSR :-) I like his varieities very much. Legenda looks perfect! In 1987 Yubileinyi Tarasenko tomato variety was bred by him and named this way because of his 75th Jubilee.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; November 30, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Yes, Carolyn, I've sent you Podarok Fei seeds this spring :-) This variety name should be on my ziplock sticker ;-)

Fyodor Tarasenko (Фёдор Тарасенко) was a very famous amateur tomato breeder from Ukraine in USSR times. He was found of tall multiflora type varieties and named many of his varieties as Hybrids because sometimes we used to call crosses as hybrids in USSR :-) I like his varieities very much. Legenda looks perfect! In 1987 Yubileinyi Tarasenko tomato variety was bred by him and named this way because of his 75th Jubilee.
Andrey, I'm so very glad to see you posting, please post more as your time allows.

I did look on the seed pack several times, but the word Fei was not there. And I also copied it down as Podorok, not Podarok, but no problem b'c I didn't have enough seeds to SSE list it but will offer it on my seed offer here so can get the name right. The cutest small orange hearts I've seen.

I Did SSE list two others that you sent me but Neil and Shoe who were doing a lot of the seed producti9on for me had bad seasons, so I can't list more.

I have to tell you that you Orange Minsk as quickly become a favorite of many folks, so thanks so much again for sending seeds to several of us.
Old November 30, 2011   #23
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you, Carolyn, and all of my friends here again.

I'm still in and out of Belarus quite randomly - need to increase sales in Russia for our company more than ever because of a very solid crisis here in Belarus with exchange rate of Belarusian rouble ruined very fast during past half of this year (from 3000 roubles in March to current 8700 roubles for 1USD). Salaries are much slower to follow this awful growth of prices especially for imported items.

3 positives things - family is OK, I've bought a bicycle this summer and I've got seeds for a dozen of interesting new to me (and I believe to you as well) tomato varieties from several Russian regions including Siberia with similar climate as we have got here in my Zone 4a.
This year was not so good here. So expect more news from me during the next growing season ;-)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; November 30, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old November 30, 2011   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

3 positives things - family is OK, I've bought a bicycle this summer and I've got seeds for a dozen of interesting new to me (and I believe to you as well) tomato varieties from several Russian regions including Siberia with similar climate as we have got here in my Zone 4a.
This year was not so good here. So expect more news from me during the next growing season ;-)

1, family is OK; great
2.bought a bicycle: also great, cutting down on gas costs and getting more exercise.

3, A dozen new varieties. OK, so now you have my FULL attention and I will be looking to hear from you next season, but I certainly hope that you'll find the time to post here in the meantime.
Old December 1, 2011   #25
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

and of course, I'm gonna share seeds with my friends :-)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old December 1, 2011   #26
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey

So great to see you posting! I have missed you, and I know we all have missed you also! Pls try and post when you can.
Old December 4, 2011   #27
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you here too, Michael.

Will try to post here more often in 2012 and gonna send you seeds for more dwarfs soon.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old April 23, 2014   #28
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Posting in this OLD thread to say that Lea in Finland kindly sent me seeds of "Tarasenko Pink" this season, and I have 12 seedlings up and doing very well.

My reading has shown that Fedor Tarasenko was a civil servant in Ukraine in USSR days who became a well-known amateur tomato breeder during his retirement in the 1970's and '80's. Some of the OP varieties he created are still grown today, and he "named" many of his tomatoes with numbers.

I haven't found any listing for Tarasenko Pink, nor any references to Tarasenko tomatoes that were pink in color. Fedor Tarasenko's interest was in developing varieties that were large, productive, and flavorful, so I'm looking forward to seeing what qualities this one has.

Does anyone here know anything about "Tarasenko Pink"? Thanks.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #29
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The Russian name is 'Tarasenko Rozhevyi'. I got the seeds from a vendor in Ukraina and cannot of course be sure of the origins, apart from what she has written in the description.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBSWUUW/...W&linkCode=asn
The original web site link did not work, but I found this instead.

Glad to hear some of them germinated for you, Sam! Mine is a strong seedling and I'm looking forward to the flowering & fruit forming.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; April 24, 2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: link info added
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2014   #30
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - I should have just asked you directly, though I'm happy for others here to see this tomato.

I'm glad that at least one Sweet Ozark Orange plant grew for you, and I hope you'll like it. I also have two "Nevas" seedlings, and as expected they're definitely shorter and sturdier than other varieties.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote