Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 17, 2006   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Harpin Protein

Came across this product in one of my catalogs. Sounds interesting. Here are a few links describing it. Ami
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0501075158.htm
http://ghex.colostate.edu/flor_ext/n...ol_12_no_4.htm
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ami-I used it for a whole year, in the greenhouse during the winter, and during the spring/summer outside. Just my experience, but it made no difference to my plants, and I am not using it now. You may have a different experience.
Old December 17, 2006   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

mdvpc, You didn't notice any differance in what way? In disease prevention or increased production. Thanks Ami
Old December 17, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ami-The only thing I thought was different was the plants seemed to be bigger than before-but no increase in fruit production to my eye. I live in the desert, so we dont have the foliage diseases other places have, and I garden only in containers, so I dont have the soil-borne diseases either.
Old December 17, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And while I haven't used it I have read of some folks who have and they see apparently no difference either.

One of the problems is that most folks don't plant several plants of a single variety and then treat half and not the other half. As in controls.

Messenger has been bandied about here in the US for several years, but I don't see its use expanding and that must be for a good reason.

I wish it would do better for it was discovered at Cornell, my alma mater, LOL, and has received a Green Award from the Feds and all that, but in the end, it's quite expensive and from what I've been reading at the places where I post, not much difference has been seen, with either Messenger or Serenade to speak of a second one.
Old December 17, 2006   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

mdvpc, Thanks for the info, that helps alot. Growing conditions definately different here in Germany. My grandparents lived in the high desert and I was stationed at victorville in the mojave desert when I was in the military. Ami
P.S. Caroyln, thank you also for the info.
Old March 26, 2007   #7
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I will be doing my third year of Messenger (harpin protein) and overall I think it is very good. I also use Serenade as an antifungal, spraying the week after I spray the Messenger. Here are the benefits: first, if you spray regularly every three weeks, you will see that you don't get foliage problems and overall the diseases are kept down. While it's probably an arguable point, I find that the indeterminate cherry tomatoes (e.g., Sungold, Black Cherry) have a longer season and yield more. I don't get a lot of sun (6-7 hours) and I keep track of the yields. This stuff isn't going to protect against a systemic like fusarium, but it helps to stave off early blight (unless it's just a coincidence).
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #8
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I was fortunate this year to be given 2 boxes of Messenger packets from a high school friend of mine that owns a local farm.

I plan on using it on a control group of plants here to see whether or not it makes any difference vs. untreated plants of the same varieties.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

rsg2001, Thanks for the info update. Mischka, will be looking forward to your results. Also good to see you posting more. Is the fire season over? Ami
Old March 18, 2009   #10
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I'm raising this old thread up, because I would like to know what were the results from Mischka's Messenger trial.

I have some packets of Green Guard (harpin from Gardens Alive) and I am wondering if it does any good.
Old March 18, 2009   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Had forgotten about this thread. Just a side note, I purchased last Fall a small bottle of Messenger "Seed Treatment" and just used it this past weekend. I dipped each seed in the powder prior to planting in the Jiffy 7's and Root Riot Cubes. Will see if I notice any difference when my seeds germinate which started today.
Svalli, why the interest in Harpin? Ami
Old March 18, 2009   #12
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I didn't notice any measurable difference in growth or fruit set quantity on the 20 plants I treated with it.

At best, Messenger seemed to work on some of the wild roses that I sprayed at the edge of the property. Many more flowers than in past years and lots of new canes.

I also used it on hanging baskets with petunias in them and didn't see anything remarkable happen.

So I do think it has a benefit, but only on certain species of plants.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #13
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Svalli, why the interest in Harpin? Ami
I am like the foolish people in old days who believed the traveling salesman and bought a bottle of the magic potion.

I have tried some of the Gardens Alive extracts and sprays, but never used any control plants, so I do not know if they did any good. I used also Green Guard, but because I sprayed it on everything, I do not know if it did anything either.

I saved six packets unopened and now I am wondering, if it really works. I would like to find the magic potion, which makes the plants to grow and produce super fast, so I can grow late season tomatoes in our really short summer. It may be same as trying to find the pill which makes me thin overnight...
Old March 18, 2009   #14
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mischka,
I'll use it on the glimbing and rugosa roses we have around the house.
Old March 19, 2009   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Svalli, A coulple products Ray and I have been using with good results have been Actinovate and Mycorrhiza products. Found a new one called "SubCulture" by General Hydroponics I'm going to try this year plus one from Fungi Perfecti that seems to have a combination of everything that the 3 products I just mentioned have. Check this out. Ami

MycoGrow™ Soluble
for Potting Soils & Rooting Media
MycoGrow™ Soluble is similar to Plant Success™ Tabs but is more concentrated, containing more spores and more species, plus other beneficial organisms. Consisting of powdered spore mass rather than tablets, MycoGrow™ Soluble is great for adding to rooting media or commercial potting soils. Sold in one pound and one ounce increments. An ounce is sufficient to treat 125–250 plants covering approximately 250 square feet.
One ounce MGS100 $5.95
One pound MGS110 $79.95
Note: this product cannot be shipped to Hawaii.

Contains concentrated spore mass of the following:Endomycorrhizal fungiGlomus intraradices, Glomus mosseae, Glomus aggregatum, Glomus clarum, Glomus deserticola, Glomus etunicatum, Gigaspora margarita, Gigaspora brasilianum, Gigaspora monosporumEctomycorrhizal fungiRhizopogon villosullus, Rhizopogon luteolus, Rhizopogon amylopogon, Rhizopogon fulvigleba, Pisolithus tinctorius, Laccaria bicolor, Laccaria laccata, Scleroderma cepa, Scleroderma citrinum, Suillus granulatas, Suillus punctatapiesTrichodermaTrichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma konigiiBeneficial BacteriaBacillus subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus azotoformans, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus coagulans, Bacillus pumlis, Bacillus thuringiensis, Bacillus stearothermiphilis, Paenibacillus polymyxa, Paenibacillus durum, Paenibacillus florescence, Paenibacillus gordonae, Azotobacter polymyxa, Azotobacter chroococcum, Sacchromyces cervisiae, Streptomyces griseues, Streptomyces lydicus, Pseudomonas aureofaceans, Deinococcus erythromyxa