Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 15, 2013   #1
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I scrap my plants? (Mite related)

OK, I am an idiot (and a very newbie gardener) and even though in hindsight I've probably had them for weeks, I just now realized as I'm preparing to plant outside, that my tomatoes and peppers have mites. Weirdly, the plants actually seem to be doing OK considering (the peppers, especially, look really healthy and have been growing very well except for the occasional spot where you can see the mite webbing/very minor leaf spots.)

I am pregnant and have a small child, so I don't/won't use harsh pesticides, so basically I'm left with soap solution and maybe a couple other "safe" alternatives if I feel up to it, but I'd need to do more research. I did apply a ton of soap solution already but I fear it's too little too late. I have no idea if I can manage to beat them back at this point, because, again, I didn't even realize what the problem was for a loooong time. This is only my second season of serious gardening, but still. Embarrassing.

My question -- do I need to to throw in the towel on these plants? Is there even a point to pressing onward with infested plants, or should I call it quits and buy some new plants from the store (even though it will kill me to have to do it?) I seem to recall that one of my pepper plants got mites last year (though further into the season,) and it still grew and produced and was OK (I'm not looking to grow the biggest/highest producing plants in the universe here as we're just a small family so I could live with somewhat stunted plants, just not half-dead ones.)

Gardening. Such a learning experience. Sigh!
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Try 2 Parts 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol/1 Part Water in a spray bottle. Worked pretty good on Spider Mites and Aphids indoors. Repeat application every 3 or 4 days.
It doesn't doesn't harm Tomato or Pepper leaves.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have had Tomato Russet mites before. Oil based products, like neem are often suggested. In my case, I used powdered sulpher with good success.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Once they are in the garden, a hot pepper spray will tend to repel the mites, but not kill them. Predatory mites will kill them and are completely safe for your child. Even safer than your insecticidal soap solution.

I guess the real answer depends on how healthy your native beneficial predator community is already. Putting them outside with mites already on them might cause disaster by spreading the mite problem, but if your native predator population is high, it might just be food for the predator mites, who will thank you for the free bonus food supply.

The fact that you had mites last year, but they were not a big issue, tends to make me believe you have a healthy population of beneficials outside. But impossible to know for sure across the internet.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I would try to save the plants since you haven't transplanted them yet.

Since the plants haven't been set out yet you could try submerging them in water or a slightly soapy water for a few minutes and then repeat in a few days. I have never done this for mites but have for aphids and it worked well. I don't know how long it would take to kill mites but they do not like too much water and that would definitely be too much.

If your temps are below 90 degrees then you can use the sulfur dust but you must get it on all the surfaces particularly the underside of the leaves. I know it works because I have used it; but I rarely have mites before the temps get above 90 down here.

I have never tried the alcohol spray but it sounds very promising.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #6
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone! As I mentioned in my first post I've just soaked them with soap solution, so for the moment I won't throw them out, and I'll give them a day to react to that and see where we land. After that I may try one of the other great ideas in this thread; I'm glad it sounds like I have a few options to try.

I inspected everything pretty closely today and I've gotta say, I know mites are basically microscopic, but it really doesn't look like most of the plants are too damaged or infested at this point, so maybe there is hope. If I can just get a few of my tomato plants to survive so I can say I at least grew some of them from seed, that would be awesome.
Old May 15, 2013   #7
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Do these mites only show up on the leaves? I thought I saw some tiny red odd shaped spiders on the soil in my container tomato thats looking drowned. but nothing like what i have googled on any leaves. the other tomatoes in the same planter are looking fine....So I assumed it was drowned like others on here thought and the bugs were harmless?
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #8
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittenGarden View Post
Do these mites only show up on the leaves? I thought I saw some tiny red odd shaped spiders on the soil in my container tomato thats looking drowned. but nothing like what i have googled on any leaves. the other tomatoes in the same planter are looking fine....So I assumed it was drowned like others on here thought and the bugs were harmless?
My particular mite infestation appears mainly on the underside of the leaves, and in just a couple of spots on a few plants I can see a teeny tiny bit of webbing between notches of the plant. To be perfectly honest with you, whatever species I have are so incredibly small that I can't actually really see the mite too well with my naked eye (they do not appear to be the red mites, though, from what little I have seen of them,) but I can see the damage.

They get their food from sucking out the juice from the leaves of the plants. I haven't personally seen any action at the soil level of my plants. Just the aftermath of their reign of terror in the leaves.
Old May 15, 2013   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

You'll need a 10X or stronger magnifier to see the spider mites. They are always on the bottom of the leaves.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #10
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilMayJune View Post
OK, I am an idiot (and a very newbie gardener) and even though in hindsight I've probably had them for weeks, I just now realized as I'm preparing to plant outside, that my tomatoes and peppers have mites. Weirdly, the plants actually seem to be doing OK considering (the peppers, especially, look really healthy and have been growing very well except for the occasional spot where you can see the mite webbing/very minor leaf spots.)

I am pregnant and have a small child, so I don't/won't use harsh pesticides, so basically I'm left with soap solution and maybe a couple other "safe" alternatives if I feel up to it, but I'd need to do more research. I did apply a ton of soap solution already but I fear it's too little too late. I have no idea if I can manage to beat them back at this point, because, again, I didn't even realize what the problem was for a loooong time. This is only my second season of serious gardening, but still. Embarrassing.

My question -- do I need to to throw in the towel on these plants? Is there even a point to pressing onward with infested plants, or should I call it quits and buy some new plants from the store (even though it will kill me to have to do it?) I seem to recall that one of my pepper plants got mites last year (though further into the season,) and it still grew and produced and was OK (I'm not looking to grow the biggest/highest producing plants in the universe here as we're just a small family so I could live with somewhat stunted plants, just not half-dead ones.)

Gardening. Such a learning experience. Sigh!
No, they are savable. Try this, Mix 2 TBS of Ivory dish soap per gallon of water in a big enough tub that you can lay down the plant in its full length.

Hold the whole plant, pot and soil submerged for at least 3-5 minutes, take them and place them somewhere were the mites aren't infested the area.

Also if you add a liguid fertilizer to the water, you will get an extra boost.

Use the remainder water to wash the area were the mites were, soak it and let it set.

Mites like a dry area, very little air circulation.

By the way, this type of soaking is good for aphids and other sucking insects with the added benefit of a fertilizer feeding

Terry
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #11
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilMayJune View Post
My particular mite infestation appears mainly on the underside of the leaves, and in just a couple of spots on a few plants I can see a teeny tiny bit of webbing between notches of the plant. To be perfectly honest with you, whatever species I have are so incredibly small that I can't actually really see the mite too well with my naked eye (they do not appear to be the red mites, though, from what little I have seen of them,) but I can see the damage.

They get their food from sucking out the juice from the leaves of the plants. I haven't personally seen any action at the soil level of my plants. Just the aftermath of their reign of terror in the leaves.
oh ok thanks....maybe they were something else then
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote