Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 28, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil Solarization

Here is a link about Mycorrhizae but it also has a paragraph on soil Solarization that might interest folks with soil borne pest problems. Ami

http://idosi.org/wjas/wjas2(1)/4.pdf
Old January 28, 2012   #2
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Interesting article, but difficult to digest. Any chance you can put some of that info into lamens terms?

I just started using a mycorrhizae product last season and saw a substantial difference in root development when I potted up. not sure how or why it works so well, but it does so I will continue using it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2012   #3
FiguredOut
Tomatovillian™

Mycorrhiza is a word that means "fungus" and "roots." When two species interact with one another and there is a beneficial outcome to both it is known as "symbiotic" or "mutualistic." (This is contrasted with parasitic in which one species benefits and the other is harmed.) There are different types of mycorrhiza just as there are different types of plants and animals. You can distinguish different types by their physical appearance and their actions [physiology.]

The ectomycorrhizae (ecto: outter,external) have an external sheath around the roots of the plant. These guys penetrate between the cells of the epidermis and the first few layers of the cortex.
The endomycorrhizae (endo: inner) do not form an external sheath. It works its way through several layers of the outer root cortex.

Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, are known as VA in this paper, are a type of endomycorrhizae. They penetrate plant cells and form arbuscles. These arbuscles are the things that make them so helpful to the plant. Arbuscles help the plant take up a variety of nutrients. They increase the mass and surface area of the root system. More mass and volume leads to more nutrient uptake.

FiguredOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2012   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

This site from Australia has lots of good pictures:
http://mycorrhizas.info/vam.html
Old February 4, 2012   #5
dice
Tomatovillian™

So basically the report that Ami posted is saying that soil solarization
before planting crops (like cowpea) that are inoculated with appropriate
mycorrhizae and rhizobacteria increased effectiveness of the
mycorrhizae and rhizobacteria in infecting and nodulating the roots of
the cowpea. (The mycorrhizae extend the reach and efficiency of the
roots in taking up nutrients, and the rhizobacteria fix nitrogen on the
roots of legumes like cowpea.)
Old February 5, 2012   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Interesting article, but difficult to digest. Any chance you can put some of that info into lamens terms?
matereater, go to the "Gardening in the Green" Forum as there is a lot of threads on mycorrhizae. Ami
Old February 10, 2012   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This site from Australia has lots of good pictures:
http://mycorrhizas.info/vam.html
Thank you dice, that is an excellent site, I like the clear textbook format with lots of diagrams and photos. I've never thought too much about mycorrhiza, just let things develop or not. Very interesting!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #8
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

Somewhere I read that the mycorrhizae act like an external digestive system for the plants roots.

We animals have all sorts of little "critters" in our guts. Hopefully not the parasitic kind.

Since I started using Pro Mix with mycorrhizae two years ago, my seedlings have been really healthy. Hardly ever any problems with damping off.

It makes sense to me, that if you feed your soil with good things: mulch, compost, etc., your soil will get a healthy population of bacteria, fungi, worms, etc., and maybe the good "guys" will crowd out the bad "guys."

Now if I could only get rid of the flea beetles !

good luck all,
Dick Shannon
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote