Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2007   #1
johno
Tomatovillian™

Default cool weather question

This is the warmest winter in history. My tomato seedlings (in peat-pellets) are at the stage to transplant. My local weather is about ten degrees above average, with low temps currently over 50F.

The question is: would it be a good gamble to plant them now? The predicted last frost for here is April 16th, but I think we just had our last frost (31.8F). Specifically, do nighttime temps in the 50s really do harm to tomatoes? My volunteers have already started springing up and survived a couple of light frosts...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you have a lot of plants and some way to protect them (blankets, wind blocks, walls of water) you could put a few out. The sacrificial lambs.

I potted up my big ones into 1 gallon pots before transplant.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #3
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Johno....several factors to ponder there...)))

If they are still in starting cells, then ponder the actual amount of root they have at this point, and MOST importantly...the relative condition they are in w/respect to adjustments they have made to living in their final environment (hardening off). Both of these factors, from the post provided, would seem to indicate more time is necessary first, simply to prepare them for outdoor living and prosperity.

A good hardened off transplant wont be bothered by night-time temps in the 50's or even 40's...and theres always a few things one can do to give temporary relief/accomodation to a young plant...so, from that angle...no sweat.

Looking at the NOAA April temp predictions...it looks like you have a better than 50 percent chance of at least having normal weather, trending upward in temps. Heres a link to that...http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...off_index.html
I'm actually pondering here...whether or not to go ahead with a few plantings, and propably will by Saturday, even though our last typical chance of frost is April 15 as well. Should a cold snap arrive, its not too hard to cover a young plant up with leaves and a sheet for a night or 2....cold windy rain is really worse ...to me, than a night of light frost followed by a day of sunshine. If your plants were further along, i'd say yeah...its a Good Gamble....but as young an un-hardened off as it seems they are, a week or 2 more will really stack more odds as well as weather prediction in your favor. Good Luck...)))
Old March 20, 2007   #4
johno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, guys!
They have roots emerging from the peat pellets, but they do need to be hardened off, so I guess I'll pot them up and harden them off gradually for a couple weeks.
Old March 20, 2007   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Repot ! Do not place outside yet ~ If April 16th is your last frost day - wait until then ... If you want to cover your crops thats up to you - but in my opinion its just flat out better to wait ...

~ Tom
(who has set out plants early thinking the weather was nice, and flipped out when temps dropped to 30 the very next day!!!)
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstrees
(who has set out plants early thinking the weather was nice, and flipped out when temps dropped to 30 the very next day!!!)
WeatherUnderground. Quite simply the best weather site out there. Usually they are quite pessimistic which is exactly what a gardener/farmer needs to make judgements.

WU predictions for you Tom are:
Low of 21F at 8am Wednesday
Low of 32F at 4am Thursday
Lows in the "upper 30's" Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Last edited by feldon30; March 20, 2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old March 20, 2007   #7
johno
Tomatovillian™

Tom, you are so right - I've done that, too. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Feldon, please don't think I'm out to get you, but I believe you were looking at the low temps in Celcius. I just checked, and in Fahrenheit, the lows here will be in the mid 50s. Thanks for the link, though. That is a really good weather site!
Old March 20, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've updated my post so you can tell who I was responding to.

I'd hope it's not mid-20's in Arkansas in March.
Old March 20, 2007   #9
johno
Tomatovillian™

Oops! Sorry for the mix-up, Feldon.
Old March 20, 2007   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Not a problem.

I guess I should post in the Veggie forum about my sugar snaps and snow peas (have seen a half dozen baby peas and have about 150 flowers).

And I should post in the Fruit forum about my 4' x 8' bed of Chandler strawberries I bought bare-root online which are looking really good in my raised bed and have set 15-20 strawberries per plant. I couldn't find any vars I wanted in Houston last year -- I did see Allstar plants this spring which are actually pretty good, but of course that was too late as I planted last September. I did not want Quinault, Sequoia, etc. All of my knowledge about Strawberries comes from the Fruit & Orchards forum at GW. Growing strawberries is sort of an oddity in Houston, but I'm giving it a shot. I added bird/squirrel netting today and secured it on all 4 sides with 1 x 2 wood and bricks. I don't see any places squirrels can dig and get in there.

Last edited by feldon30; March 20, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old March 21, 2007   #11
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default Don't Plant

What our soil temp? Make a big differance if it is above 50 when you plant. In you shoes I would transplant to larger contains that can be brought in. Even if that means in larger containers they are in poor light for a day or two. I would move them out now slowly. I know the sun is luring you out side and you want to get as many toms set before it a 100 in the shade. It just is not worth the risk of a frost and or potential fungus infections.
Celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Good news on the horizon ...
On my way into work I saw a Red Robin!
A sign of spring ... me thinks ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #13
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, I built cages to go over my strawberries. They're roughly 3'x2'x8' and covered with chicken wire fencing. Without them I get nothing. When I used bird netting, the raccoons walked all over the plants trying to get at the strawberries. The chicken wire keeps out both the birds and the raccoons. Good luck with your strawberries. They are a wonderful treat.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I built a little frame but yes, the squirrels or even a possum (seen one of them) could get in there. Originally I was thinking of making a solid screened in cage. We'll see.
Old April 8, 2007   #15
johno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all (especially Gimme3, Tomstrees, and feldon30) who returned me to reason on this issue. Because of your responses, the lives of many, many tomato plants have been spared!