Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 23, 2021   #1
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Default 2021 Garden list

Well, here we are. The weather is starting to turn nice out, It's "officially" spring, and we've lived (or survived anway) through another time change. And I have finally figured out what I'm going to plant pretty much this year. In no particular order:

Lettuce: Black Seeded Simpson
Spinach: Bloomsdale Long Standing
Sweet Corn: either Peaches and Cream or Honey and Cream, depending what I can find
Pumpkins: Big Max for sure, maybe a hill of First Place if I can find seed
Beans: Blue Lake 247 (bush). My mom only would grow these, love them, won't grow anything else lol
Bell Peppers: California Wonder (planted and up good)
Jalapenos: Jalapeno Early (started)
Broccoli: De Cicco (started)
Cauliflower: Vanilla Sky (started)
Zucchini: Black Beauty
Onions: some Walla Walls sweet probably, the rest yellow/white/red mix
Carrots: Nantes Half Long
Watermelon: Sugar Baby
Potatoes: Yukon Gold and Red Norland

All that and the 15 or so tomato plants ought to keep me busy and out of trouble for the summer I think

What is everyone else planting?
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2021   #2
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Well, broccoli and cauliflower are looking pretty good right now, and are outside in 3" pots. I don't think I'll bring them back in probably, unless it looks like we are going to get a freeze.

Bell Peppers and Jalapenos look the best I've ever started. Slow of course, but are getting first true leaves on the really good. They'll go in and out daily for a couple more weeks probably.

Tomatoes, I'm having issues with. Most seedlings seem to want to die on me. It's bad enough that I'm thinking about getting one my new 72 cell starter tray's out that I bought for next year and starting a few more. I know, it's a bit late, but it's either do that or buy plants at the store which I don't want to do if I can help it anyway.

If I do that, I might as well go ahead and start the zucchini, pumpkins, watermelon, and cucumbers, or at least some of them. I mean, it shouldn't' be any more work to plant 72 cells as opposed to 6 or 8 should it? lol
Old April 19, 2021   #3
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Was a busy weekend, got the entire garden tilled twice and lettuce, spinach, beets and 2/3 of the onions planted.

Early started plants look good, tomatoes are finally waking up. I did start some other plants, planted 6 cells with 2 seeds each of some older yellow pear tomato seeds I had laying around, and all my watermelon, zucchini, pumpkin, and cucumbers. Tomatoes look like they're trying to germinate and come up, everything else has pretty much popped up already. If these tomatoes don't do anything I guess I'll have to buy a few plants if I can find them, I'm 4 plants short of what I wanted.

Weather has been great up until now, I was almost tempted to jump the gun and start putting out the broccoli and cauliflower. Glad I looked at the forecast first, we have a freeze warning for tomorrow and Wednesday night Then by next Tuesday we're supposed to have highs near 80
Old April 25, 2021   #4
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Since I've been busy in the garden again, thought I'd update. Even the fruit trees seemed to survive the 2heavy frosts we had, I didn't see many frosted or frozen blossoms on them anyway. Guess the true test will come later this summer when we see how much fruit there is. If they produce like the blossoms suggest at this point, y'all need to come visit and take some apples and peaches home with you

I went on a bit of a planting spree this weekend. Got lettuce, spinach, beets, and most the onions in last weekend. This weekend I picked up where I'd stopped, and got the last of the onions, carrots, and taters in. Then went ahead and transplanted the broccoli and cauliflower. So as things stand, the only thing left to direct seed is sweet corn and green beans. Need to force myself to wait until around the 10th-15th of May to plant them, the ground is too cold still for them.

Have a great week everyone, hopefully next weekend I'll update again, with pictures maybe of stuff green and growing!
Old May 2, 2021   #5
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Things are growing. The weather isn't cooperating, but things are growing anyway. This weekend was a washout for getting anything done in the garden, had 1.85" of rain Wednesday and Thursday, and this next week is going to be cool with possible showers and thunderstorms.

Cauliflower and broccoli are growing good so far. Potatoes are starting to come up, lettuce, spinach, beets, and onions are up good. Don't see any carrots yet, but it's only been a week. Hopefully stuff will be big enough soon to be able to start taking some pictures and posting them in here.
Old May 16, 2021   #6
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Well, another week has past, and a busy one it was. It took forever to warm up it seemed, but it finally has. Highs in the 70's now until late next week, and then we should actually be seeing 80's showing up.

Friday I swear I about killed myself, but I got everything in. With the watermelon, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, 11 tomatoes, 7 bell peppers, and 5 jalapenos, I planted a total of 65 plants out. Then turned around and put in the beans (2 rows about 20' long) and corn (6 rows about 12' long). Saturday I went to a local nursery I had never been to and ended up picking up a Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, and Sunsugar tomatoes, one plant each and stuck them in the ground even though it had rained .25". So, everything is planted, might have to do some replanting here and there for stuff that hasn't come up, but things are starting to look green.

The potatoes have really surprised me, out of 70 or 71 planted, all but 14 or 15 are up already. Onions, lettuce, and spinach look great, think I'll be able to start cutting some lettuce in another week or so, probably spinach too if the weather warms up like it's forecast to. Carrots are finally showing up, slow but a decent stand of them. Beets are somewhat disappointing, some are there and some just never came up. I might have to replant some of them I'm thinking. Will be planting (technically replanting) a row of spinach in a week or two as well. I got a little lost with the rototiller and accidentally worked a row up while I was working AMS in.

Well, that's the latest from here I guess
Old May 16, 2021   #7
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Good luck!

And be sure to post some pictures when you feel your plants are photogenic enough to do so.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2021   #8
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
Good luck!

And be sure to post some pictures when you feel your plants are photogenic enough to do so.

Pictures will be coming when stuff is big enough to see lol
Old May 17, 2021   #9
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Wolf View Post
Pictures will be coming when stuff is big enough to see lol

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2021   #10
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Now we see if I can figure out how to attach pictures lol. And I'm having issues, hopefully will get them up here soon. Things are looking pretty good, first blossom on a tomato open today!
Old May 24, 2021   #11
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

For some reason, I have issues every year with carrots and beets and tend to have to reseed. This year, I have not even started them, might today.

In my garden I have planted these that I started indoors, * marks new to me this year:

Tomatoes: Sunsugar, Black*, Cherokee Carbon, Paul Robeson, Kellogg's Breakfast, Start F1 *, Buffalosteak, NAR, Dexter *, Kosovo, San Marzano Gigante * and an Italian paste tomato that came from seeds from Italy passed down through a friend's family - no idea on its name.
- I have small tomatoes growing on Buffalosteak, Start F1 and of course, Sunsugar. All are flowering.

Zucchini: Burpee's Best, Cash Machine and Emerald Delight.
- small fruit started on last two, BB is flowering

Yellow Squash: Slik Pik, Saffron and Cube of Butter
- small fruit started on Slik Pik, all flowering

Eggplant: Ping Tung Lung and Traviata *
- Traviata is flowering

Bell Pepper: Chinese Giant, Delerio *, Big Red *
- Delerio has fruit started, others are flowering

Jalapeno: Early, Primo *, Big Guy
- Early has fruit started, others are flowering

Lettuces are all up, growing like mad and and we're harvesting.

From seed, no sign of yet...

Pole Beans: Monte Gusto, Carminat and Fortex

Cucumber: General Lee
- I overdid the cucumbers these last few years and am set for a while for pickles so am only growing 2 slicers

Pok Choi
- I try varieties every few years but most are a bust, do love it if it ever grows

New to the garden this year are asparagus roots that I most likely won't get to sample. I thought they might have gotten hurt by some cold temps, but I see life, doesn't look like it will turn into anything edible since it's thin and wispy, but I have absolutely no idea what to expect to arise from the roots so it may surprise me.

I also added 6 rhubarb plants, 2 inside and 4 outside my garden. I didn't have space for the 6 so will see if the reports that deer won't eat them is true.

Last edited by CrazyAboutOrchids; May 24, 2021 at 09:13 AM.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2021   #12
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
New to the garden this year are asparagus roots that I most likely won't get to sample. I thought they might have gotten hurt by some cold temps, but I see life, doesn't look like it will turn into anything edible since it's thin and wispy, but I have absolutely no idea what to expect to arise from the roots so it may surprise me.

I also added 6 rhubarb plants, 2 inside and 4 outside my garden. I didn't have space for the 6 so will see if the reports that deer won't eat them is true.
Asparagus you do NOT want to even try to harvest the first year. Just let it grow and go to seed. Mom used to let it stand over winter, and then cut and burn the old stalks in the spring. Second year you can start harvesting, but be sparing about it. By the third year, you'll have more than what you know to do with
Old May 24, 2021   #13
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Testing with a picture of the lettuce and spinach to see if this works. There is an album on my profile you should be able to see with the pictures I took yesterday of everything.

Edit: I don't know why it's putting the pictures sideways, must be something to do with them being taken with my phone I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210523_173026.jpg (280.4 KB, 49 views)
Old May 24, 2021   #14
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Here's the taters. Best part of things so far I think.

Actually, in the second picture, you can see the whole garden kind of
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210523_172955.jpg (299.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20210523_172929.jpg (223.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by D.J. Wolf; May 24, 2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 25, 2021   #15
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Big garden! Looks great! LOVE fresh potatoes but don't have the space for them in my garden; we did try barrels last year though.

I think with your pics, the issue is resolution size and if you resize pics to a small resolution they will appear in the correct rotation. I had issues with tomato pics I tried to add to another post and that worked for me.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote