Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2018   #1
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone on here in Columbus Georgia area?

Hubby and I are here for the about 5 months. Just got here this past Monday. I planted some tomato and pepper plants and hoping they will grow well. Am I late for planting? It was in the low 40's on Monday morning but now already hot. Eventually I might have to try to find them a spot that gets afternoon shade.

Looking for others in the area that know how to grow here to share experiences with... :-)

Thanks!
Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

So good to see you posting again! Did you have a good Florida season.

If anyone can make GA work, it's you.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #3
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I didn't grow any. Gave away my seedlings after the hurricane and then bought a house on the intracoastal and moved away from the Rv life after all the damage to our things and so much being ruined by the storm surge. The new house is on higher ground and safer but we still have the view and access to the water. So these are my first plants since the ones I grew in the 2016/2017 winter./spring I have missed you all. Happy to have some tomatoes growing again finally.

Ginny
Old May 7, 2018   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Not in Columbus, but in Kingsland, GA, a couple of hours SE of you. Possibly a bit late, but my neighbor just planted some tomatoes, so....Yes, maybe some afternoon shade will help....and lots of fungicide, and insecticide,..wink ;-)
Old May 7, 2018   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, there you are! We have been thinking of you. So glad to hear you are OK.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #6
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Not in Columbus, but in Kingsland, GA, a couple of hours SE of you. Possibly a bit late, but my neighbor just planted some tomatoes, so....Yes, maybe some afternoon shade will help....and lots of fungicide, and insecticide,..wink ;-)
Hahaha... sounds similar to Florida. I figured late but just got here and wanted to give it a whirl. We were supposed to come about 4 to 6 weeks ago but got delayed due to permits. What are you growing and when did you plant out?

Ginny
Old May 7, 2018   #7
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, there you are! We have been thinking of you. So glad to hear you are OK.
Hi Marsha!

I have really missed you all. We were just so busy with the move, remodeling, and life in general. I couldn't even think about having any tomato plants until now (finally!) Happy to be back.

Ginny
Old May 7, 2018   #8
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,

In Florida, it's all about the night time lows when plants are flowering which looks pretty good for your area. Your daytime highs look a lot hotter than FL.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/co...weather/328222

So glad you are back.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #9
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hahaha... sounds similar to Florida. I figured late but just got here and wanted to give it a whirl. We were supposed to come about 4 to 6 weeks ago but got delayed due to permits. What are you growing and when did you plant out?

Ginny
Planted out about 8 weeks ago, and already have Septoria Leaf spot showing up, even with perfect growing conditions. Growing Rutgers, Indian Stripe PL, Big Beef, and Black Cherry. Already picked a Rutgers and IS. Hopefully we can contain the SLS, or it'll be a short season.
Old May 7, 2018   #10
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

EdWeather - Oh I am late! Thanks for the info. I guess I will enjoy growing them while they last and then later get my fall seeds started to take back to Florida. Good luck with yours and I hope they last for you!

Ginny
Old May 7, 2018   #11
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny,

In Florida, it's all about the night time lows when plants are flowering which looks pretty good for your area. Your daytime highs look a lot hotter than FL.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/co...weather/328222

So glad you are back.
Thanks Barb! You always have such good info. I'm scoping out the area to figure which spots get get morming sun but afternoon shade. Where I have them right now they get both which is ok for now but probably wont be soon.

Ginny
Old June 28, 2018   #12
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ed how are your tomato plants doing? You must have a lot of beautiful ripe tomatoes. Mine have held up well considering I was 2 months late in planting them and it poured every day for 3 weeks and still raining quite a bit.

No ripe ones yet but have quite a few producing and getting close...

Ginny
Old June 28, 2018   #13
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Ed how are your tomato plants doing? You must have a lot of beautiful ripe tomatoes. Mine have held up well considering I was 2 months late in planting them and it poured every day for 3 weeks and still raining quite a bit.

No ripe ones yet but have quite a few producing and getting close...

Ginny
Here are some of mine. Planted out in May... doing ok despite rain every day. In Florida with as much rain as we've had here these would be goners by now. Hoping they hold out until some ripen.

Ginny

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old June 28, 2018   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny they look quite wonderful. What is the multiflora? Actually what varieties are all?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm two hours south of you just across the state line in Alabama. I planted my second and third plantings of tomatoes on May 14 and again on May 25 and they are doing fine. They won't set as many as the ones I put out in March but what can you expect in this heat. Keep them sprayed with fungicide and watch out for spider mites about now. I found my first ones just last week in my greenhouse and also outside on my hardening off table which had the few seedlings I had grafted for fall tomatoes. I also found one plant in my garden that had them and pulled it since it wasn't doing much anymore and only had two small greenies on it. I sprayed all my tomato plants for spider mites a couple of days ago and they already look much better so there must have been some mites starting on a lot of the plants although the damage and obvious symptoms had not shown up yet.

Good luck with your growing in Columbus you should do fine.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote