Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 13, 2012   #31
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
This tomato is a real beauty and still hasn't been identified. Thanks for sharing, Joe! It's not Nyagous, nor is it Cherokee Purple. Whatever it is, it's productive and tasty! Sizes from 4 to 18 oz. this year. So pretty on the plate.

Oh my, whatever that is, my taste buds want it!!! It looks delightful! yum!
Old August 14, 2012   #32
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Stunning tomatoes, Kath!!!

Captain Lucky wasn't late for me, at all, I love it. Thank you! Have you tried Everett's Rusty Oxheart? If so, is Copper River as good as ERO, tastewise?
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #33
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
Stunning tomatoes, Kath!!!

Captain Lucky wasn't late for me, at all, I love it. Thank you! Have you tried Everett's Rusty Oxheart? If so, is Copper River as good as ERO, tastewise?
I haven't been so lucky with CL- last year's attempt gave me fruits that were too red. Winterfly was kind enough to send me new seeds for this year but this plant just seemed to struggle- maybe that's why the fruits were late compared to the rest of the group. Not sure that I'll give it another try but maybe sometime. I didn't like Lucky Cross at all, and everyone else raves about it. At this point in the season I'm wondering if I really want to grow a bicolor or tricolor every year. They're very pretty but honestly, no one around here really wants to eat them!

I had one plant of Everett's Rusty Oxheart but it didn't make it. Again, not sure if I'll give it another try. I've heard many more positive comments about Captain Lucky.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #34
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Kath----------- fantastic!! Are you a good gardener, Thanks for posting your photos, greetings
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #35
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Daniels

Thanks to greyghost I tried this pretty pink PL beefsteak this year and am enjoying it's taste more than I have the Brandywines but some of them taste a little too acidic to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1090.jpg (323.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Daniels.jpg (460.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by kath; August 16, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old August 14, 2012   #36
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Dester

Lots of talk about the name of this variety...I've been changing it as the discussion continues. Anyway it's reddish pink, meaty but juicy and very flavorful. The fruits all weigh about a pound and are now experiencing some radial cracking which is a shame because they were quite pretty as you can see. This is going to be a big winner with many, I think. I'm growing again next year to please DH and neighbors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1168.jpg (278.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1275.jpg (409.7 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by kath; August 25, 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: changing name
Old August 14, 2012   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Dr. Lyle

All over a pound and growing in large clusters, this one needs support! Another pretty ribbed pink-red beefsteak that kept me waiting a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1256.jpg (334.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1318.jpg (475.8 KB, 89 views)
Old August 14, 2012   #38
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Dutka's Pink Heirloom

This large pink beefsteak is from Carolyn's seed offer and the one plant that germinated/survived has just begun producing ripe fruits, so I'll add more pics and comments later. It is a HUGE plant that sets lots of fruits (13 to 28 oz. so far) but it didn't do that early. The fruits are very meaty and have few seeds- the one that I managed to bag had 10. The unbagged fruit that's cut weighed 1 lb., 5.4 oz. and contained about 100 seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1632.jpg (271.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1666.jpg (505.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by kath; August 27, 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: corrected weight error
Old August 14, 2012   #39
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Eastham Pink Heirloom

I love the look of this tomato and admire how relatively crack resistant it has been compared to the other large beefsteaks. It's taste is great imo and it's sweeter to my taste than the other big pinks. The fruits have ranged from 10 oz. to over 2 pounds but the large ones have all been singles and have managed to be completely usable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1127.jpg (278.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1286.jpg (280.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1367.jpg (422.3 KB, 86 views)
Old August 14, 2012   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Fish Lake Oxheart

This is a great tomato machine. Fruits from 5 to 29 oz. so far and no end in sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0996.jpg (284.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0749.jpg (512.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0823.jpg (421.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0854.jpg (379.8 KB, 112 views)
Old August 14, 2012   #41
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Frank's Large Red

This is actually a large pink beefsteak despite the name and its fruits have indeed been large- from 1 to over 2 lbs. It was comparatively late to ripen and had a lot of catfaced fruits and splitting but I really like the flavor of this one.

I need to take a 'frustration break'- sometimes it only takes a minute or two for the pics in a post to upload but sometimes I can try 3, 4, 5 times and wait for many minutes and no uploading happens.

Last edited by kath; August 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: pictures not uploading
Old August 14, 2012   #42
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Love your photos, Kath! Glad you liked the Daniel's. Last year, I thought it was the best tasting tomato I grew. I wanted it to do especially well this year
so I over-fertilized it. Got huge fruits (year year, they were just large) that
didn't taste quite as well!

This year, I thought Dester's Amish (I think Larry Pierce changed the name on
the website to Dester's) was the best tasting tomato I grew. The Fish Lake
Oxheart you sent me did very well; lot's of nice sized hearts with very good flavor-very sweet! People loved getting them as oxhearts are quite the novelty around here. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #43
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Love your photos, Kath! Glad you liked the Daniel's. Last year, I thought it was the best tasting tomato I grew. I wanted it to do especially well this year
so I over-fertilized it. Got huge fruits (year year, they were just large) that
didn't taste quite as well!

This year, I thought Dester's Amish (I think Larry Pierce changed the name on
the website to Dester's) was the best tasting tomato I grew. The Fish Lake
Oxheart you sent me did very well; lot's of nice sized hearts with very good flavor-very sweet! People loved getting them as oxhearts are quite the novelty around here. Darlene
Thanks! I noticed less flavor this year in the Fish Lake Oxhearts. Glad you were able to share them with happy recipients. Because I regrew favorites from the past 2 years, I was able to experience how the taste of a variety change from year to year- not always a good thing.
Old August 14, 2012   #44
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

I have a bad case of "tomato envy". The pictures are just stunning, especially the Eastham Pink Heirloom. I really like the way the post is arranged.

Have you done a lot of soil amending or is it just that "green thumb" you were born with?
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #45
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4230 View Post
I have a bad case of "tomato envy". The pictures are just stunning, especially the Eastham Pink Heirloom. I really like the way the post is arranged.

Have you done a lot of soil amending or is it just that "green thumb" you were born with?
Thanks, Ken- my 2 green thumbs match my other 8 fingers and the green stuff is tomato wax.

Last year and this year I've been using and granular organic fertilizer at plant out, but that's it. This year's tomatoes are in new garden ground but we worked in lots of manure and shredded leaves last fall.