Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 15, 2009   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default CAMPARI -Campari(ng) Descendancies

There has been a couple of threads about Campari, namely;

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12120
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...hlight=campari

...and I thought the topic I am bringing forth deserves a new forefrontation.

Question. Has anyone segregated the recombinations for filial generations of Campari.

Answer. Yes.

I have several lines of Campari descendants to the F-5 level. That is stable enough to assert some expectancies. Just today I extracted a knock off line that looks much like the F-1 Campari and I named it CAM PARIS. Pun intended.

As F-5 seed, I should be able to use it in some test hybrids. I am hoping that I have some of the VVFFTN of the hybrid left over in the inbred.

I will have to look at the other filial generations to select for the best lines as I am trying to duplicate the reputed flavor of the original.

Meanwhile back to the Cross Talk. I have a couple of new selections out of a cross of Green Grape to an F-2 of Campari. The first one is Campptown Ladies, a nice look alike, taste alike of Campari but with the tiny seeds of Green Grape. This one is quite firm. I have F-3 seed of that one.

A full sib-Paris green- (a shade of green tinged with yellow) is a Green Grape type, but of a cocktail size with extraordinary flavors and sweetness. It is rather soft like Green Grape and has larger seed than I would like.

Both of them will be segregated further in the re-combination to fine tune traits that I want. But in case I don't get those traits I crossed the Paris Green with pollen from Camptown Ladies. The cross should be all red if the CL is homozygous for red flesh. The hybrid seed will be selfed next year to get F-2 seed that will shuffle the segregation even further. I would like to get a firm green cocktail tomato with small seed and great flavors and sweetness.

Since Campari has long internodes suitable for greenhouse culture, I will note the growth of the assorted progenies and will send seed/plants to greenhouses for evaluation. I hope to salvage the alphabet soup of disease resistancies.

I extracted seed today of Camptown Ladies crossed with Stupice. There is a local love affair with Stupice, therefore I am trying to introgress Stupice into as many kinds of tomatoes as possible in the effort to get adapted PNW tomato varieties with whatever magic Stupice offers.

I now have F-3 seed of Black Gaspare, named for Gaspare Campari fame. This is a black cocktail tomato that combines Campari, Black Sea Man, Brandywine, and a chilling resistant line. This combination will be tested for chilling resistance so that ripe fruits can be placed in refrigeration without turning mushy.

Yet to be found in my myriads of tomato plots, is some F-2 fruits of the cross of Black Prince, Cherokee Purple and an F-2 Campari. The F-1 had 1 1/2 to 2 inch fruits, round red, 3 locules, and productive as all get out. The plants aren't close, one is in the upper Skagit river valley and the other is in Vancouver, WA., nearly 300 miles from each other. I should not be disappointed in the flavor combos.

I have been extracting seed from the F-2 fruits of Campari and Savantas, a cluster roma. The fruits are even more firm than Campari and I will be looking for jointless pedicels, and a variety of shapes. I am not sure what I have, so I am not naming any of them yet. Most of what I like has the Campari shape.

I will be looking at some yellow cluster recombinants of Campari crosses as soon as I pick them.

Some really tall vines are coming out of the Airy Leaf, Pineapple, Elberta Girl, Campari lines crossed to Green Grape. Yes, all in one pedigree. Most are 2 inch red fruits with green getl indicating the success of the cross. I am impressed of how the Green Grape imparts sweetness and smaller seed size. In these crosses, one doesn't see much of the ancestry of Airy Leaf, Pineapple, or Elberta Girl, just Campari and Green Grape. Maybe I will see those lines show up again in the F-2 generation.

I put much effort into this treatise, but if anything ever comes out of this work, you may anticipate what it may be.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2009   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default THANKS

Thanks, Tom, for sharing all your interesting work with these and the other tomatoes you have worked with.
The Campari is a wonderful tasting little tomato in the winter time when you crave a good tasting tomato. It is almost like a summer grown variety and is a good fix!
Keep up your good work! It is always a pleasure hearing about some of your tomato projects.
Gary
Old August 15, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tom, I remember reading about one of Randy G's new varieties, either Mountain Magic F1 or PLum Regal F1, would have to check that out, that was represented as a Campari 'type" adapted for field growing.
Old August 15, 2009   #4
Tom Wagner

Yes, and it is Mountain Magic F-1. I was going to open up a new thread about it but...

Here is one of the official publicity releases:
Bejo Tomatoes
Introducing:

Quote:
Mountain Magic F1 Flavor, uniformity and disease resistance in a high-sugar Campari-type. Mountain Magic produces round to deep round 2 oz. fruit on somewhat compact indeterminate plants. Fruits are flavorful, highly crack resistant and uniformly red inside and out, with a long shelf life. Resistant to Verticillium Wilt 1 and 2, and Fusarium Wilt 1 and 2, Mountain Magic also is moderately resistant to early blight, and highly resistant to late blight. Flavor stands up in taste comparisons with heirloom varieties. Get Heirloom quality with a modern disease package and yield. Good for either organic or conventional production.

As the advertisement states, anything described as a Campari-type is all the rage these days. The sentence--
Resistant to Verticillium Wilt 1 and 2, and Fusarium Wilt 1 and 2, gives credence to the possibiltiy of being partly related to a Campari parent, as that resistance is touted too.

I have trialled Mountain Magic for a few years now. My source was directly from Randy as NC 05114 F-1. This variety will have a good innings for some time to come.

It had some good Late Blight resistance for a while but last year it succumbed rather quickly compared to the previous times. I had a single unrelated plant (F-3)next to it that went unscathed for a long time, blooming and ripening fruits while all else had rotted around it weeks prior.I am afraid that just being heterozygous for the ph-1 and ph-2 may not be enough for here. For that reason I have crossed it to homozygous ph-1 and ph-2 coming out of some NC 45EB-2 hybrid recombinants. The progeny of that cross is in the field at different locations to test for later LB infestations. Fifty percent of that cross will have homozygosity. Within the cross of Mountain Magic and the NC 45EB-2 material will be introgression of more heirloom flavors and colors.
The F-2 seed of the best prospects will be sown soon for further testing and filial generations.

The selfing of Mountain Magic is well unde rway with F-3 being sown to test for late occuring LB in the greenhouse. Hopefully the best plants will still be alive when I get back from Europe late in the month of October. I bulked many F-2 fruits from many plants that should give me some fine results. The F-2 fruits ranged from 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cocktail sized fruits, varying a bit for firmness. I have video of the plants to review at my leasure. I will be looking for a number of traits such as determinate vines and larger fruits. I will not spoil the fun to hint at another gene that I will find in a homozygous allele.

The data on F-1Mountain Magic is thus: 1 3/4 inch fruits, round red, no cracking, keeps excellent and OK flavor. Good to excellent yields Sorry about the OK flavor---those were my notes on October 1, 2008.

Since I am in the middle of collecting my hybridized and OP fruits, I am in the disovery phase as to what crosses took. Maybe I will find some gems of fabulous crosses. First stop--Seattle.

Tom Wagner

(Not doing Nothing Important)
Old August 16, 2009   #5
Tom Wagner

Quote:
Within the cross of Mountain Magic and the NC 45EB-2 material will be introgression of more heirloom flavors and colors.
I wrote that concession earlier yesterday, but when I went to the Seattle plota a found a cross of Mountain Magic F-1 X Homozygous ph-1 and ph-2 and was able to get 3 inch tomato fruits, indicating that I was able to retrieve the large fruited parent of Mountain Magic. A very healthy and high yielding plant!

I think I will plant out about 100 seedlings of the F-2 seed as soon as I can. I will take about 25 plants to various parts of the state to test for late occuring LB. Like I said earlier, fully 50% of the plants will be homozygous for at least Ph-3, which is vastly more important than ph-2 by itself. My hope is that I will have the bi-color popping up since the father was heterozygous for it.
Old November 15, 2011   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I was digging deep and found it so..

It's been 2 years, Tom. Any exciting/interesting news on these lines?
Old November 18, 2011   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Another question for you, Tom (or anyone else who wants to answer that has info) - do you have any idea on what the approximate chances / % might be for getting something resembling Campari F1 (esp for the taste) in the F2s?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote