Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2011   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Himber Rose tomato

Has anyone grown this one? e.

This plant is about 30" high and has over 100 blooms. I got the seeds in a trade from Eastern Europe. I have no information on this. I grew it because I like the name. It looks like it going to have grape or cherry sized fruit and appears a good size for a smaller container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Himber Rose resize.jpg (71.0 KB, 66 views)
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Not in the SSE YEarbook, I didn't take the time to check Ventmarin but you might want to do that for details/

Googling indicates it's a variety the Geza, who posts his trade3 list here at Tville offered starting last year and I have yet to see any reports of those who got it from him and are growing it now . And since he posts his trade list at other sites I looked there as well, and no reports yet from 2010 seeds/

perhaps your source was also Geza, yes?

Off hand I can't remember his user name other than it starts paradis and I'm sure you can find his thread in the Trade Forum and actually I saw him online here either today or yesterday.

But if you traded with him you already have his contact information/

Hope that helps.
Old July 4, 2011   #3
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Yes I did get the seeds from Geza, and when I googled only got references to his trade list on 3 sites. Thanks for your help, will look at Ventmarin.
Old July 4, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
Carolyn,

Yes I did get the seeds from Geza, and when I googled only got references to his trade list on 3 sites. Thanks for your help, will look at Ventmarin.
I just looked at Ventmarin and it's not there as either Himber Rose or Rose Himber, so, since you got the seeds from Geza you should have his contact info and I suggest that you contact him to ask more about this variety.
Old July 4, 2011   #5
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

You'll need to search for "Himbeerrose".

http://www.tomaten-atlas.de/sorten/h/171-himbeerrose

Last edited by mcsee; July 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Add link
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #6
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

mcsee - Thanks for the site and the resulting information; Carolyn thanks for the suggestions.
Old July 5, 2011   #7
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
You'll need to search for "Himbeerrose".

http://www.tomaten-atlas.de/sorten/h/171-himbeerrose
That sounds like double Polish, because all pink tomatoes are called "malinowy" (raspberry/Himbeer(e)) here.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarSK View Post
That sounds like double Polish, because all pink tomatoes are called "malinowy" (raspberry/Himbeer(e)) here.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=himbeerrose&cp=7&pf=p&sclient=psy&s ource=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=himbeerrose&pbx=1&bav=o n.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c4c796b09a129ab4&b

iw=757&bih=403

HEre's a general Google search for himbeerrose and while I didn't have time to check out all the links, there are several that refer to the tomato of that name and almost all of them, the links, are in German.

So have at it.

If there's still any confusion Gary, I still think contacting Geza might be the way to go b/c you got the seeds from him. And I did recheck Ventmarin but not there but there was a link from Tomodori which I didn't check out either that did mention it.

I'm just a tad hurried this AM b'c my brother arrives from NC and I have some things to get done before he gets here.
Old July 5, 2011   #9
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

After receiving the seeds from Geza last winter I did contact him about some of the varieties that I was most interested in and could find no information on. I did not hear back from him.
Old July 5, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn,

After receiving the seeds from Geza last winter I did contact him about some of the varieties that I was most interested in and could find no information on. I did not hear back from him.
Gary, thinking about it I can understand it b'c his trade lists are so long that if he tried to answer every person who contacted him he wouldn't have time to do anything else. And I mean that b'c he posts his trade lists at many many sites.

So take a look at the link I just put up and if you need help with a German translation there are several here who can do that for you, my German is OK when it comes to tomato descriptions, but there are others here who are much better, trust me.

And if you have to wait to see what the variety is like yourself, you'll probably be the same as many others.
Old July 6, 2011   #11
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I realize that Geza is a busy gardener and grows lots of veggies. Having lived in Eastern Europe a couple of years, I know that for many people gardens are much more important to them economically than they are to most Americans. Or at least they were at the time I was there.

I will wait and see what the variety is like just as I am doing for 4 or 5 others that I am growing with little or no information. Its fun and interesting.
Old July 6, 2011   #12
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I will wait and see what the variety is like just as I am doing for 4 or 5 others that I am growing with little or no information. Its fun and interesting.
Maybe you should list the others, as someone may already grow them and can possibly help. No guarantees though.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #13
clara
Tomatovillian™

Greg, perhaps I can answer your question as I grew Himbeerrose 2 years ago. It's a variety for hanging baskets. "Himbeere" is German and means raspberry and that perfectly describes the color. Size and shape are grape-like. Taste was sweet, but not too sweet (as a raspberry...) clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011   #14
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks clara and mcsee; I can see from my plant that they would be good for containers, but never thought about hanging baskets.

The others varieties that I have little or no info on are Anchka and Trska Gora; since my previous post I found some information on Blue River which I was also searching for info on.
Old July 29, 2011   #15
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Default Trska Gora

Trska Gora is definitely south Slavic, so the best may be to ask Iva or another of the people from Slovenia (who post here).
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote